• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Portland Open June 4-6

Maybe I'm just not up on things, but...

Can someone please explain, "opening up a gap as a PITTSBORO?" I don't understand that reference.
It's a course feature at Pittsboro designed to work like a sand trap in ball golf. If your disc lands in a "pittsboro" area, you have much more challenging angles for recovery, thus John's comment about opening up a 5' gap providing a more promising avenue of escape.

I think they said on the Jomez coverage that the turf tees were basically too grabby or thick so they widened the tees to allow for a natural tee. But yeah, pretty obvious based off of coverage so far most people are taking lines that weren't originally intended…course designer included.

I could totally understand if the tees were unsafe…low lying areas and a lot of recent rain and they were slick…something like that. The explanation was in the footage was pretty much the turf tees killed momentum on a run up so they gave us some side space at the last minute with no practice. Safety concerns don't appear to be the justification though.

Everybody has the same opportunity to use the side tees, but if you've played a couple of practice rounds do you deviate from your game plan last minute? Surely there is a better solution to maintain the integrity of the originally designed course and still address whatever beef with the turf? If they're allowing them to tee from the grass on the side why not just take the turf pads up altogether? If it's a temporary course I can't imagine the tees are actually framed with crushed limestone underneath?
I imagine these thick, overly grippy tees pair particularly well with hikers or trail running shoes equipped shoes with big lugs or aggressive tread, as discussed in this thread. :eek:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138392

Eagle showed some cajones hitting that comeback death putt to save bogey on #6. A bad spit there, and he could be right back in that bunker for a 2nd penalty stroke.

Last edited:
Momentum is real. When things are going your way, they keep going your way, and when chit goes wrong, it all has a way of unraveling.

Case in point: KJ's roller on 12... hits the clump of vegetation, hops up like it's was a ramp, and keeps on rolling.

Really enjoy watching the classic KJ straddle putt stabbing heart of the chains. This should be a great finish, with Vinny lurking if KJ/Eagle can't close the deal.

Eagle with a clutch C2 putt on 13. That's something for him to build on.

Just cuz I didn't necessarily like the course, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the competition. Some really great performances by KJ and the 1050 boys.

Paul had ice in his veins with the putt to tie it on 18. But Eagle knows how it feels to miss a putt for the win on 18's elevated basket at the Portland open. It's got to be quite a feeling having a shot at redemption from that miscue two years ago and correcting on it.

If you are saying this course will give the 1050 guys a bigger advantage over the other players than other courses do, that's somewhat testable.

There is a 50% chance the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by more than 24 points.

So, if the difference is only 24 points, there is no evidence the course hurt or helped the 1050 guys.

There is only a 5% chance that the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by more than 38 points.

So, if the difference is more than 38 points, that would be evidence the course gave the 1050 guys a boost.

On the other hand, there is only a 5% chance that the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by only 11 points or less. So, if we see that, it would indicate the course was kryptonite for the 1050 guys.

Came in at a difference of about 29, so no significant evidence the course gave an extra advantage to the 1050 guys.

Latest posts