• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGR's Discraft Pipe Dreams

What would you like to see new from Discraft in '09?

• >1.7 driver

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • < 1.6 driver

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • mid-range

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • putter

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • models in different plastics

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • bring back an old model

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • more 150 class

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • glow discs

Votes: 29 16.6%

• Total voters
NoMoreTinCup said:
Anakha said:
NoMoreTinCup said:
I may have to revisit the XL, but the others don't fill the bill, for me. I am particularly looking for the flip to straight action of a beat Star SL thrown forehand. I know it is persnickety, but I admire that trait, and would like to have a Discraft disc for that shot, out of the box rather than a beat ______.
KP
So what problems did you have with the SS's? I would think a Surge SS fills the spot for a SL pretty well. And a for beat Sl, I'd def suggest an Avenger SS. :?:

The Surge SS I threw first was a tourney stamped FLX Model. Really liked it, but it wasn't mine, so I purchased one for myself. Needless to say, the one I got is more overstable than an Avenger, in any plastic. Almost like a Force. Chastened by that experience, I have not ordered another. Thinking about trying to locate a light ESP Surge for this spot. The Avenger SS is too flippy for me. Like I mentioned, this is a very particular shot, and I could probably do without it, but a hyzer flip forehand is really useful on one of the courses that I play, where you may not be able to get much ooommpphh on the disc. I am such a disc hooker that I am probably subconciously trying to find something else to buy. I liked the Monarch flight backhand, but it is also very understable on forehand shots, which may point towards a form problem more than a disc problem.
KP
I wouldn't suggest any of the FLX line outside of cold weather. Try a Z Surge SS, or as you mentioned, a light ESP Surge could be the ticket too.

I think I might have died and gone to heaven. My order from Dynamic Disc's just showed up on my doorstep. I got a couple of new challengers that are the shizzle. They are white with a DD Open stamp on them and they are stiff pro d. Not quite CT stiff...but getting pretty close. I have some of the new yellow and light blue challengers and these are stiffer than those. I might have to order a few more of these bad boys.

My local pro shop is having serious trouble getting any Discraft orders in. The word from the owner is that they aren't running anything at the moment. The shelves for Dcraft molds are almost bare and we're like 2.5 hours from the factory. The owner even offered to help run them...lol. On the other hand... the Innova orders arrive on time and complete... wtf...

who are we asking?

I think this thread has less traffic because no one in DC is answering any questions.

gator said:
Did Discraft Mike get let go because of the economic down turn

Mike still visits the site. His last visit was on the 4th of this month.

I can't speak for him, but it seems like the majority of his posts are just to announce when discs are going to be released. I don't think he's interested in doing the Dunipace style of answering lots of questions, like the Innova thread on the pdga board.

And if he were, I'm sure he didn't appreciate the changing of the name of his thread to something implying discraft could care less about the thread.

I guess it's open to interpretation, but that's not what I intended at all. I sent Mike a pm after changing the name to let me know if he had a problem with it.

I was just skimming thru Discraft Mike's old posts and he mentioned them revamping the Pro D plastic to be more durable and long lasting. Have any of you found that to be true? He announced this mid April, so hopefully anything new tested after May 1 would be in the new stuff. BTW anyone know if there is a new stamp type to be able to tell the new from the old?

I have a rattler with a newer stamp on it (I think), and it's a softer D plastic than I've felt. I also got a D Cyclone in the past month, but I thi it's the old plastic.

If the "new" plastic is the stuff they've run the D Force and Avenger and the Ace Race discs in, it's the super soft gummy stuff...I can't say I consider it to be more durable, but I haven't had any huge tree hits with it. It definitely takes surface wounds WAY more easily than the old stuff...I lost an inch wide by half inch long by quarter inch deep chip off the rim of my D Force when it skimmed across a bush.

It could fare better than the firmer old-style D stuff when slammed into a tree, but I took all of that plastic out of my bag after seeing it do that.

SkaBob said:
If the "new" plastic is the stuff they've run the D Force and Avenger and the Ace Race discs in, it's the super soft gummy stuff...I can't say I consider it to be more durable, but I haven't had any huge tree hits with it. It definitely takes surface wounds WAY more easily than the old stuff...I lost an inch wide by half inch long by quarter inch deep chip off the rim of my D Force when it skimmed across a bush.

It could fare better than the firmer old-style D stuff when slammed into a tree, but I took all of that plastic out of my bag after seeing it do that.
Wow, sounds like I'll stay away from it thanks.

The new D Challengers have a circle stamp like the soft Challengers and the plastic is more durable and stiffer than the old D ones.

the new pro D is better and stiffer but in the drivers its not the best considering the higher speeds and less surface area... and the new pro d stamps have a little "PRO-D" in the upper left of the stamp

One other question to those who threw the Z Meteor. Was it hard plastic or gummy plastic? I read that they were understable due to them being flat... is that true? I might have one on the way to try out, just wondering what to expect.

Fazor said:
One other question to those who threw the Z Meteor. Was it hard plastic or gummy plastic? I read that they were understable due to them being flat... is that true? I might have one on the way to try out, just wondering what to expect.

It was fairly stiff but felt somewhat gummy like crystal Z. I don't know what bothered me more, the understability or the lack of glide. I think it was the lack of glide that made the understability so pronounced.