• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Just finished reading Starting Strength this week and plan on getting under way with the workouts next week. I will post any DG related differences I see.

Here is something I have learned over the past few weeks that has really helped my disc golf game. I do a lot of other exercises, but these are the one's that I think have really helped my game.

3 sets of 25 Air Squats (With weight or without weight)
and 1 of the following
3 sets of 25 Bent-over row
or
Rowing Machine (25-30 minutes)

If done properly, after 3 weeks of doing just these two exercises, I bet you will see a difference in your game.

I recently found a simple yet effective routine to strengthen the whole upper body, and especially pulling muscles which are important for disc golf driving. Here goes:

100 chin-ups. Yes, full reange of motion ie. locked arms.

I use a pyramid style because it's the easiest way to reach your goal of one hundred. Like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and same route down to complete 100. I rest about 10 secs between first 5 sets, between those longer sets I rest up to 90 secs. My record so far is 22 minutes. My bodyweight is about 195lbs, so losing weight might help a little.

Do not try to throw after this workout :?

Hey i can complete that exercise in a minute or two if i don't take longer breaks than a few seconds. Of course i'll probably get to only a few reps at the most :-D and you know how much i have to lose weight 8) And does double chin help in halving the reps?

J-La said:
I recently found a simple yet effective routine to strengthen the whole upper body, and especially pulling muscles which are important for disc golf driving. Here goes:

100 chin-ups. Yes, full reange of motion ie. locked arms.

I use a pyramid style because it's the easiest way to reach your goal of one hundred. Like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and same route down to complete 100. I rest about 10 secs between first 5 sets, between those longer sets I rest up to 90 secs. My record so far is 22 minutes. My bodyweight is about 195lbs, so losing weight might help a little.

Do not try to throw after this workout :?

Yes pull ups are a great exercise, but doing just pull-ups will not train the whole upper body. Generally speaking you'd want to have a 1-2 ratio of push/pull exercises if you really want to stay balanced and have the best possible strength for throwing.

Would cable work and raising the arm upright all the way up with a weight then lowering the weight behind you from the elbow alone work as a counter to pull exercise? Weight training that way can include both pull and push motion exercise. Would the rep change and multiple sets be more beneficial than doing heavy weights for as many reps as you can in one set alone? Sometimes followed by fewer rep sets because of exhaustion.

After this 100 reps workout my pecs as well as my triceps were exhausted. Not mentioning lats and biceps.

Sure it's more about pulling, but in my opinion pull/chin-ups is the best overall excercise for upper body. But maybe I'll add some 100 dips to it. This might be fun! I'll report about that later.

JR said:
I'm not nearly at that level so all i can say is respect and phew!!!

J-la is probably just trolling... The fact that you mention pec/triceps exhausted first for the pull up screams fail. Those muscles are synergistic muscles and if you got those to fatigue, you're exercising wrong not to mention probably have horrible form. In the fitness realm it's quality over quantity. By doing that many reps with one exercise just allows you be strong with that one movement. You over train muscles, promote fatigue, etc... Disc golf is a push and pull movement, need to have both. Yes pull ups are a great upper body exercise for that particular angle. Need other exercises to hit all of the back.

I know J-La and he's a very muscular guy that certainly trains often and hard with weights and swimming. I don't think he's trolling at all. He is the second guy throwing in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/40/UCp580eu5jU

I've heard that 50 reps is the most you should do at one time. I don't know how that pyramid of increasing and then decreasing reps per set complies to that. I think the 50 rep bit concerns only one set. Wouldn't the pyramid scheme allow the muscles the time to recuperate enough to go into the sleep mode in some parts from too many reps?

I have no idea how J-La does pull ups and what the correct form would be. Any tips on the correct form?

There is a wide range of media training courses that are available on the market today, whether online or in sports shops. To aid the selection of appropriate training courses, you should check prices and reviews the product a. A high price is not an indication that the product is high quality. You must be very practical and always get the product at a reasonable price, but very effective way to improve your game.

Golfkurse

JR said:
I know J-La and he's a very muscular guy that certainly trains often and hard with weights and swimming. I don't think he's trolling at all. He is the second guy throwing in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/40/UCp580eu5jU

I've heard that 50 reps is the most you should do at one time. I don't know how that pyramid of increasing and then decreasing reps per set complies to that. I think the 50 rep bit concerns only one set. Wouldn't the pyramid scheme allow the muscles the time to recuperate enough to go into the sleep mode in some parts from too many reps?

I have no idea how J-La does pull ups and what the correct form would be. Any tips on the correct form?

Ah, sorry for the troll comment. I'm active on a fitness forum too, and I see the "I do 100 crunches/situps/pushup/pullups/etc.. every single day!" and it's just annoying/trolling of them cause it serves no purpose except to be good at that particular movement. The problem with that type of pyramiding is not getting the appropriate rest for your muscles and tapping into the wrong energy stores.

As far as pull up form, this video covers the basics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hDKitcMYc4 Biggest thing is the position of the hands and that you don't pull your body out of alignment. Just think of his first 2 reps as "ideal" movements, and that every single rep done should mimic that. As soon as you stop doing that, you're going into momentary muscle failure and any rep after that isn't as beneficial, not to mention could be starting to train the synergistic muscles, etc...

Good Call Ironhide, I agree. Sounds like a lot of "broscience" to me. You never need to do 100 of anything; why would you? To be the best at exercising? If you want to get good at disc golf do exercises that are sport specific to disc golf (In muscles used, weight, repetition speed, work to rest ratio). As ironhide said above, why would you ever do 100 of anything when training for disc golf. Disc golf is a power sport, as in, the only time your muscles exert force is a single moment of maximal force at the very end of your throw. All of these workouts do seem like great workouts for general fitness purposes and helping obtain the goals of each individual. Each person has their own goals that they want to achieve; and there are many different means to get to those ends. But don't do something this high rep over and over, it will only lead to overuse injuries with barley any gain.

Fun to read these posts, where people who don't know me are accusing of trolling.

This's no broscience, this is just having fun with a pullup bar. Using supinated grip (palms facing towards you) will definitely have some effect on pecs too. Yes, doing couple of sets won't do any good for pecs or triceps, but after 60 one must use these helping muscles to complete 100.

Pyramiding is very easy on the way up. Most difficult part of this excersice is those reps between nine and six on the way down. And please don't read in between the lines, I never told I was doing this "every day". I would do this once or at most twice a week. I have been going to the gym for about eight years consistantly, and using lots of different routines and techniques I have found that mentally it's best to have some fun while excercising. This is fun and simple. Yeas, you don't need to do any pull-ups, but please let me have my workout.

Maybe I'll post my form for you to judge if you still think I'm trolling. Try it sometime and you'll notice it ain't that hard a workout.

And he throws around 450' tops IIRC. And not that much less on golf lines.

I don't know how much rest one would need between sets but i'd imagine that if one had enough space between the sets the muscles wouldn't go haywire because the top set is only ten reps. Compared to 50 reps max limit i've heard. No idea if that is accurate. The most common physical condition test for muscle power in Finland includes 50 times squatting down and raising up without weights. This is for working population not athletes. 50 reps gives the best score available for an adult.

Not like i could do 10 reps of chin ups in one set but those that do and have a long history of working out might pull it off without adverse effects but i have no idea of the magnitude of needed breaks between the sets. Does anyone know how long it would take in a workout like that?

When i started rehab on my arm my initial routine was two sets of 20 reps each motion. Biceps, lifting the arms straight to the sides and lifting the arms straight up. With weights so high that i could barely manage it. With clean form. This routine was prescribed by a doctor and on top of that a physiotherapist helped in ensuring that i did the motions correctly.

JR, I usually don't like to discuss about my distance, but since you have now twice estimated my drives at 450, I'll have to correct that.

Where have you seen me throw 450 tops? Come check my driving some time at Tali driving range. Yeasterday, at dead calm, I shot several hyzers over 450, and straight shots over 500. This may sound like I'm bragging, but JR is underestimating me here, publicly :) Plus my form is way better than last season.

J-La, I wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't do your own workout (100 chin-ups), I was just stating points why that wouldn't really be a great disc golf workout for someone who wants a disc golf strength/fitness routine. Everyone has their own goals, and I'm sure you know a lot about working out and what works great for you, but not everyone in the forum is as knowledgeable as you about strength/power training; especially when you're trying to be sport specific and make every movement count.

J-La said:
Fun to read these posts, where people who don't know me are accusing of trolling.

This's no broscience, this is just having fun with a pullup bar. Using supinated grip (palms facing towards you) will definitely have some effect on pecs too. Yes, doing couple of sets won't do any good for pecs or triceps, but after 60 one must use these helping muscles to complete 100.

Pyramiding is very easy on the way up. Most difficult part of this excersice is those reps between nine and six on the way down. And please don't read in between the lines, I never told I was doing this "every day". I would do this once or at most twice a week. I have been going to the gym for about eight years consistantly, and using lots of different routines and techniques I have found that mentally it's best to have some fun while excercising. This is fun and simple. Yeas, you don't need to do any pull-ups, but please let me have my workout.

Maybe I'll post my form for you to judge if you still think I'm trolling. Try it sometime and you'll notice it ain't that hard a workout.

What you are talking about is complete broscience. Not to be rude, but you have no clue what you are talking about as far as fitness... Pull ups are NOT a pec exercise. Using a supinated grip allows more bicep activation which makes the exercise easier on the Lats. You're fatiguing out your primary muscles to hit your synergistic muslces is pure stupidity. I'm not telling you what to do, but please don't tell people to do what you're doing cause it's dead wrong. Hence why this is 'broscience'.

Lift your arm and pull it down using your elbow. Can't you feel your pec contracting at all? I do, that's why my pecs get some workout too. Maybe thei're weak. But you're correct, that's for sure, about primary muscles. Still hahving fun doing it and I think it will do good for my strength. But do not try it!! No one should ever try it.

J-La said:
Lift your arm and pull it down using your elbow. Can't you feel your pec contracting at all? I do, that's why my pecs get some workout too. Maybe thei're weak. But you're correct, that's for sure, about primary muscles. Still hahving fun doing it and I think it will do good for my strength. But do not try it!! No one should ever try it.

Not quite sure what you mean by lift my arm and pull it down. But let's think of it this way... The Lat Pull-Down and Pull-Ups are the same movement, same muscles, just different loads (closed chain vs. open chain). If you look at the muscles worked in each exercise they are the same and neither of them involve the chest. The pecs in those exercises are stabilizers and meant to guide/stabilize the movement. If your primaries are gone and your secondaries are now moving you, you now have little to no stabilizer muscles, this is where nerve impingement, scar tissue, etc.. type injuries occur. My guess is why you are feeling it in your chest is that you're form is incorrect and you're not activating your back muscles. An easy way to tell is if I placed a pencil on your back between your shoulder blades, at the top of the pull-up your shoulder blades should be grabbing the pencil, EVERY SINGLE REP. If you're not pinching the back of your shoulders together and feeling in the back every single rep, you are doing the exercise wrong. I'm sorry to sound pissy about this, but as a trainer for 5+ years, I've had to correct a lot of 'broscience/bromancing' ways with people and some people have been severely hurt cause of it. I understand you want to help people and you're happy with your success, but keep in mind you're dealing with people's lives here. If someone that wasn't in the same shape as you went and did this cause you said to, they could hurt themselves. So once again, sorry for being mad/insults. Could also be that I had to fast today and didn't have enough protein. :lol:

Latest posts