• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

J-La said:
JR, I usually don't like to discuss about my distance, but since you have now twice estimated my drives at 450, I'll have to correct that.

Where have you seen me throw 450 tops? Come check my driving some time at Tali driving range. Yeasterday, at dead calm, I shot several hyzers over 450, and straight shots over 500. This may sound like I'm bragging, but JR is underestimating me here, publicly :) Plus my form is way better than last season.

Hey that's cool you throw even father. I may recall incorrectly that you said to me last year that you were throwing to about 140 m max. Have you gained distance since then or did i just remember incorrectly? I haven't seen you unleash fully anywhere with enough space. The longest i've seen you throw was at the first public test of Pohjan Poika at Meilahti field. I'd like to see how you throw these days some time. I'm sure i will at some point in the season despite being busy at work. At least i get plenty of motion with weights that way :) I think i lifted way over 10000 kg today. Pant pant.

JR, I did mention that, but we were talking about golf drives. I am happy with 140m drives on a golf course, but throwing on an open field it's a whole different story. And using 360 I may get up to 10 meters more :) ...which is pathetic I guess. I just can't get enough pressure with that.

BLURR said:
Well...today was day 60 weigh-in and I am down 35 lbs. on the dot. Here's hoping that the next 60 go as well as the first.

congrats. very impressive. i'm jealous.

BLURR said:
Well...today was day 60 weigh-in and I am down 35 lbs. on the dot. Here's hoping that the next 60 go as well as the first.
Sweet......keep goin. I just hit 36 pounds on monday, half way there.

BLURR said:
I shoot for one gram of protein per pound that I weigh. So far no muscle loss that I can tell.

Well, there has been some. It's simply unavoidable. There is no way (I guess sans liposuction?) to lose weight without losing some muscle mass. There are ways you can preserve it, but weight loss has gotta come from somewhere.

Peot said:
BLURR said:
I shoot for one gram of protein per pound that I weigh. So far no muscle loss that I can tell.

Well, there has been some. It's simply unavoidable. There is no way (I guess sans liposuction?) to lose weight without losing some muscle mass. There are ways you can preserve it, but weight loss has gotta come from somewhere.

Oh...I am sure there is some muscle loss...but strength-wise...I am stronger now than I was before.

Looking for a good flexibility program...Haven't worked out seriously since High-School football was doing some stretching the other day and my flexibility certainly isn't what it used to be.

Hips, back, legs, basically everything. Would love it if someone could link me to a routine they found useful =)

I'm actually in the process of filming a home workout DVD... it's kind of P90X-ish but has some very unique and cool twists to it.... it should be ready to go early July if anyone's interested.

I work at an amusement park and start go kart motors all day, and if throwing a disc is really like pulling an engine, then I should be in decent shape right? Haha, in all honesty I should work out a little I really wish I had time though.

Well....day 120. Official weigh-in results are 56 lbs. down. This hasn't been a bad 4 months either.

For the person that is wanting to drop 20 lbs., it will probably take you about 30-40 days to do so...depending upon current body makeup.

I am by no means a dietician or fitness guru, but I can tell you a few things that have worked for me so far.

1. Monday thru Friday, no fast food
2. No regular soda (If you want a soda, grab something that is diet or similar to something like Coke Zero. This one just about killed me as I could have a can of Coke in my hand 24/7.)
3. Watch your bread and pasta intake. Moderation on this one.
4. Try to mix in some avacado's, almonds, walnuts, fish
5. No dairy based condiments like mayo or ranch
6. Layoff the beer (If you drink that is)
7. Cardio is key to losing weight
8. Eat more than 3 meals a day., try 5 or 6 (This will help with getting the munchies between meals. I tend to eat a couple handfuls of almonds or yogurt).
9. Drink between 40 and 60 oz. of water a day.
10. Turkey and Chicken are your best options for meat.

Example of one day of food for me.
Breakfast
Package of high fiber oatmeal(High fiber content helps you feel fuller).
8 oz. glass of skim or 1% milk
Mid-morning
Handful of smoked almonds
16 oz. bottle of water
Lunch
Everything Bagel Thin
6 slices of Oscar Meyer Deli Thin Lunch Meat (Roast Beef/Smoked Turkey/Chicken)
1 slice of cheese (provolone/cojack/cheddar) *This is not an everyday thing, I throw it in when I feel like some cheese
1 serving of tortilla chips
1 serving of bean dip or salsa (Goes with the tortilla chips)
1 serving of Jell-O Sugar Free Pudding
1 Soda
Afternoon
1 small container of Greek Yogurt
16 oz. bottle of water
Dinner
1 6 oz. Grilled meat (Turkey Burger/Sirloin/Chicken Breast)
1 cup of veggies
1-2 Biscuits/Dinner Roll with Honey
16 oz. bottle of water

All said and done at the end of the day, something like this will be about 1,300-1,500 calories on the day.

Here is a primary example of ways to cut calories and fat:
Say you are out and about and need to grab something to eat. Let's say Burger King is your only option. For arguments sake, lets say you want a whopper. Let's breakdown a whopper by "normal" choices.

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo, ketchup and cheese:
710 Calories 43g Fat 30g Protein 11g Sugar 52g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo and ketchup:
670 Calories 40g Fat 28g Protein 11g Sugar 51g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ketchup and cheese:
560 Calories 26g Fat 30g Protein 11g Sugar 52g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ketchup:
510 Calories 22g Fat 28g Protein 11g Sugar 51g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle:
490 Calories 22g Fat 28g Protein 7g Sugar 47g Carbs

So, as you can see, by making just a couple of small sacrifices, you can knock out 200+ extra calories and cut your fat intake by almost half. It is simple little things like this that I never paid attention to until the last four months. And if you throw in a garden side salad with Light Italian Dressing instead of a medium fry, you can save yourself 250 more calories and about 10g of fat.

BLURR said:
So, as you can see, by making just a couple of small sacrifices, you can knock out 200+ extra calories and cut your fat intake by almost half. It is simple little things like this that I never paid attention to until the last four months. And if you throw in a garden side salad with Light Italian Dressing instead of a medium fry, you can save yourself 250 more calories and about 10g of fat.
Something that I'll add is to actually look at the nutrition information rather than just words like "Light" or "low-cal." You'd be surprised at what you can find that's not labeled as light, but is better in most every way. Some of the biggest dependencies we've found are with pasta sauce and salad dressings.

garublador said:
BLURR said:
Something that I'll add is to actually look at the nutrition information rather than just words like "Light" or "low-cal." You'd be surprised at what you can find that's not labeled as light, but is better in most every way. Some of the biggest dependencies we've found are with pasta sauce and salad dressings.

Most definitely on this. My wife and I used to just buy whatever for these two items, but once we started paying attention to what ingredients were in some of these, we changed it up quite a bit. And another thing..."Organic" does not always mean healthy. People that I work with seem to be blinded by this word.

The cardio point is huge and not just one single type of cardio. You need to mix it up. your body will adjust to just running or biking and you will plateau. swimming is one of the better workouts and also has some disc golf bonus. the better you eat, the more energy/focus you will have for other activities.

What I've found that works for me for fitness, weight loss and disc golf is this:

Basic plan:

Lift weights 3x per week. Shoot for 3-4 sets of 7-10 reps to failure per set. Do Chest, shoulders, triceps day one, do legs day 2, and back, biceps, and abs day three.

Day 1:
Incline Bench Press /Standard Bench Press(switch up every few weeks)
Fly
Shoulder press (machine or dumbbell)
Dumbbell lateral raises
Triceps pull downs
Skullcrushers

Day 2:
Squats
Straight leg dead lift
Calf raises (dumbbell or Barbell)

Day 3:
Dumbbell curls
Preacher curls
Cable Pulldowns (for lats)
Bent over barbell rows
jack knife situps (Shoot for 30, more if you can do 3 sets)
Incline twist situps (shoot for 20, more if you can, do 3 sets)

Cardio plan:

Run 3-4x per week. If you lift on the same day, do the lifting first.

Run for 30 minutes, long distance pace. Shoot for 3 miles or more x 2-3 per week.

Do 50 yard sprints. 3 sprints to a set with 2 minutes between runs. Do three sets with 5 minutes between sets. Do this 1-2 per week. Be sure to stretch well before and after. Add more sprints to each set as you progress.

Sometimes I will switchout the cardio ever other week and do plyo routine. I also use a powerball and equalizer from time to time.

Nutrition:

Aim for 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean mass. Carbs are mostly fruits,verggies and whole grains. Try to get at least 25% calories from fat to maintain proper hormone levels.

To lose weight, multiply your current weight times 11-13, then subtract 500-750 calories. So if you weigh 180 you'd eat around 1800 to lose weight, maybe a little more if you are very active so 1800-2000.

If you are 180 and about 18% bf then you'd have 148 pounds of lean mass and should get 150-200g of protein per day or 600-800 calories of protein.

Total calories: ~1900
Protein: 175g (700 calories) (37%)
Carbs: 158g (630 calories) (33%)
Fat: 63g (570 calories)(30%)

It's all about calories in vs calories out so don't worry so much about the % of each macro, but get your proteinf or sure.