• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

lvl 46 and I've only pulled 2 Ballistas. Kind of annoying. At least they're a reasonable pairing for the sake of shot diversity: Light/Big Skip and Wind Break/Extra Fade. Anybody with worse Ballista luck?

There's always the Airplane mode glitch. That's how I got my Ballista.

Question to the experts.
The putting seems to be; 1/3 of the time you nail 50 to 60 footers, but.. 1/3 you only fall halfway, with the same shot. And the other third, it only goes like 10 feet.
Is this a randomization to make the rarity of nailing long puts more accurate, or am i doing something wrong?
Just curious.

Question to the experts.
The putting seems to be; 1/3 of the time you nail 50 to 60 footers, but.. 1/3 you only fall halfway, with the same shot. And the other third, it only goes like 10 feet.
Is this a randomization to make the rarity of nailing long puts more accurate, or am i doing something wrong?
Just curious.

If you're using the putt function on anything longer than 49' it's not likely to go in, unless it is a down hill putt. I personally use the A/EG Pure and am hitting 50'-60' at about 80% using the BH throwing mechanic. I'm no expert but it seems like the first level of power is usually good for 50'-60' putts.

Admittedly, i don't expect them all to go in.
It's just that, so often it seems like i just tried too hard and it didn't throw. But slightly less yields far less.
Nailing the drive, and turning 25' birdies into bogeys is really my biggest bitch!

Airplane mode trick for the win.

At lvl 22 now, and i have acc/glide Pure, fuse, explorer and musket. Also a light / big skip ballista.

At lvl 23 i ll look for the elusive light/glide Ballista and then i will finally have a complete bag after like 40 hours playing this game. High scores here i come :)

I haven't played DG Valley and probably won't anytime soon.

Well, I caved. At least I lasted over a week after that post.

My extra glide Explorer goes almost as far as my Musket.

Does anyone care to describe the airplane mode trick? It is certainly annoying to continue getting the same discs in rewards.

I can see how the 6-disc bag will get small quickly. Also, it seems like turnovers aren't a thing in this game, but it's all about flex lines. Am I right?

Question to the experts.
Just curious.

Not an expert and not answering your question directly, but I throw in pretty much everything from 30 feet and out (takes a few rounds to get used to this). Not only is it easier to throw those shots in instead of putting them, but the putting is glitchy and occasionally your disc will just drop or go ten feet. Not sure if variance is added to long putts the same way it's added to throws. You will still get rare, random spit-outs no matter what method you use.

It's in the FAQ on the Facebook page but the short version is this:

1) When you are about to collect XP that will level you up, switch phone to airplane mode

2) If you don't like your choices, close the app, turn WiFi back on

3) Reopen the app

4) Repeat as needed

Do you have to obtain the required points again? Or just click the "claim points" button again? (I guess that would only work for multiplayer)

I just hit level 12 and got a Recoil with extra glide(with no re-rolling.) My other good discs are a Pure- accurate and extra glide, and an Explorer- accurate and wind break.

I am at the point were I would really like to be able to carry a few more discs. I am wasting one spot by carrying a Dagger which I only use for upshots when I don't want to go to far past the basket. I should just spend some time working on upshots with my Pure or Fuse.

I should just spend some time working on upshots with my Pure or Fuse.

This is for sure the way to go, especially if one is "accurate." The Fuse is really, really straight and throw-ins from 150 and in are always a threat if you read the wind/elevation well. At least on holes where the physics work properly...

Does anyone good use "extra fade" discs? I just hit level 10, and an extra fade Explorer has been useful. In my first "airplane mode" attempt, I got greedy and passed up an extra fade Musket, only to mess up after several "re-boots" to end up with no reward disc at all... doh. I think I'll quit the airplane mode for now.

I just got an extra fade Recoil. I'm thinking this will be useful for those couple of hyzer holes..

I use that extra fade/ wind break recoil a lot. It's good for line shaping.

Level 15, got a light / wind break recoil today. So far I'm not impressed. Learning how to throw discs in this game is nothing like real life. I don't think I'm cut out for it. Seems like you have to be of the mindset of learning how to break the game in order to score in the upper ranks.

Does it allow you to ace run holes that you can't normaly ace with the accurate/wind Fuse? That's basically the only reason I think it might be better.

Yeah I think so. You can probably hit some of the same lines with a fairway driver or something, but I like doing it with my Fuse on anything between the Pure's 250ish and the Musket's 325ish. The wind break River I carry flies about as far so I switch to that in heavy winds. But I also know how the Fuse behaves in the wind so I feel like it's just as accurate for me as the wind break but with more carry unless I'm swearing at a Windswept hole (in which case nothing is accurate).

I've been playing for about a week, maybe going on two weeks. I enjoy it. I'm a bit addicted.

Yup. It's addicting. In general, I'm impressed at the physics, and as someone mentioned, the mental aspect is actually kinda similar to real disc golf. In DG Valley, as in real life, I find I'm pretty conservative. In other words, park the basket instead of running everything and leaving long come backs.

I play the 'advanced tournaments' to level up faster. You have to play 12 holes instead of the 9 in multiplayer, but you're guaranteed xp. As opposed to playing 6 multiplayer games and only scoring out on two of them because people will start and not finish. For the longest time at least this meant that my score (and rating) would just disappear after about 24 hours.

My biggest complaint though, besides the obvious spitouts and stupid ground physics that plague us all, is that I'm still listed as a 0 rated rec player even though I've played tons of rated rounds and the last three open tournaments. I saw on Reddit that this is happening to other people too.

Yeah I'm at the point I'm losing interest where the only way to get more stars is to play pretty much perfect, birdie every hole. Games of perfection aren't that fun to me. I play perfect for 7 holes and then make a minor mistake on 8 and have to start over. Meh.

The thing is, you get almost as many XP from losing multiplayer games as you do from winning. The only downside is that your rating goes down a bit. I kinda like the two tournaments, Pro Tour requiring you to have just one try, and the "Open" where you can keep trying for perfection.

Inside of 30' (mostly) unless I have to go through a tree or precisely aim it.

I'd rather have a 40-45 footer to throw in than a 30 foot putt, in most cases.

As far as putting, I've started using the backhand mode for everything, often even from 14 feet. Maybe it's my screen protector? but the putting mode is wildly inconsistent. As far as aiming, I find that I usually get spit outs or front rim bangers only if I'm not careful where the default aim is. In general, I put a little anny on putts and actually find myself aiming "weak side" a bit. Maybe this is because I'm using the Dagger right now. Maybe it'll change with the Pure. But for now this is working.

BAG DISCUSSIONS
My scores got a lot better when I started using putting mode for basically everything under 60 ft. The key is to use the Pure after 30–35 ft. I'm way better at putting from 50 ft. than throwing from that distance. The accurate/extra glide Pure is $$$.

My DGV bag:
Extra glide/sticky Dagger
Accurate/extra glide Pure
Accurate Fuse
River
Big skip Pioneer
Wind break/accurate Musket

There's currently a glitch that allows more than six discs (supposedly to be fixed very soon), but you can play every hole with the six I'll list here. You want these six for the rounds (multiplayer and pro tour) when you don't know which holes are coming. If you're playing the Open (where you can repeat the round with the same holes and wind), you can switch out to a specialty disc when needed

Accurate/Glide or Accurate/Sticky Pure - all top players have one or the other (probably 2/3 prefer the glide)
Accurate/Wind Break Fuse - see below
Accurate/Wind Break Explorer - that particular Fuse and Explorer are both in every top player's bag
Accurate/Extra Glide or Accurate/Wind Break Musket
The last two that are in every top player's bag you have to play for a while to get (playing multiplayer is the fastest way to level up):
Light/Big Skip Ballista and Light/Extra Glide Ballista - these two make almost all of the Par fours reachable with the right wind

I've come to feel the best attribute is "Accurate." I don't have any accurate distance drivers yet, level 32 now.

Bag:

Pure: Accurate, Sticky (Sticky seems extremely important for catching chains on slightly errant throw-ins)
Compass: Accurate, Heavy (This one is for the 'tweeners, gets plenty of use as a straight brick)
Explorer: Accurate, Extra Glide (The workhorse of the bag, very diverse because of its accuracy at distance)
Musket: Accurate, Big Skip (Just trying this out, flex slot and open to suggestion!)
Ballista: Light, Big Skip (High variance, but makes me lots of eagles along with OBs)
Ballista: Wind Break, Extra Fade (Surprisingly accurate, but not often that useful)

What I want:

Any "Accurate" Ballista. Extra Glide, Wind Break, or Heavy would probably be fine paired with "Accurate."
An "Accurate" and "Big Skip" Ballista for the insane things it would do.

The second best is "Wind Break" (basically cuts the effect of wind in half).

The Wind Break/Accurate Fuse and Explorer are both "must bag" discs. You can really put both of them anywhere you want. Plus, I counted one time and, out of the 68 holes in the game, one of these two is the preferred disc off the tee for close to 40 of them.

A lot of people also have the Wind/Accurate Musket, but I prefer the Extra Glide because (for me) it bridges the distance gap between the Explorer and Ballistas a little better

Incidentally, the order of the two attributes on any disc makes no difference.

I'm on Level 48 and the only one of these I've been offered is the Accurate/Extra Glide Pure. Still I've ended up pretty similar:

Pure - Heavy/Accurate
Fuse - Accurate
Explorer - Wind Break
Musket - Extra Glide
Recoil - Wind Break/Extra Glide
Ballista - Extra Glide/Big Skip

It's hard to imagine not having the Recoil ITB. It's pretty useful.

My bag (at level 17)
Dagger - extra glide / sticky
Compass - heavy / accurate
Fuse - accurate
Explorer - extra fade < - - > Pioneer - extra fade / wind break
Musket - light / wind break < - -> or any musket...
Recoil - big skip

I still haven't hit an ace, but the eagles started coming (still less than 10, but lots of looks) after I got the Recoil.

One parallel from the game to real disc golf is how you need to learn your bag. As you level up and get new discs, you start learning new roles and slightly different shots. Another thing is that I find myself using a decent mix of backhands and forehands. What about you guys that are better? Do you mainly throw backhands? I actually wonder if forehand putting would be good.

As far as getting discs, I've decided just to give up on airplane mode. I tried it once, but after at least 5 resets I kept getting worse options. I'll take my chances and save the time. Is there a list out there of what discs are available at which levels? I could use an accurate Pure and a Fuse upgrade. I should probably replace that compass but it's kinda nice for the consistency on approaches.

Since switching from the Compass to the Fuse, I'm making way more aces and throw-ins. Nothing wrong with the Compass, it's a birdie machine, but the Fuse is an eagle machine imo. More accurate and straighter.

Latest posts