• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Golf Vending Machine

My apologies for missing such a post, but I play recreationally and I do care about weight. Maybe some wouldn't call it recreationally with how much I play, but I rarely ever keep score so it's not competitive either. I will admit exact weight isn't a problem, but I do prefer the weight to be 165-172, unless I'm looking for something specific like a wind disc and want it heavier.

I'll admit you have a point on flight differences unless you're looking at large weight differences, but I would argue I notice the difference in how much power it takes to throw a disc that is heavier. Now would I notice a difference between a gram or two? No which is why my preferred weight above(for drivers) has such a large range. I'm not trying to say what you're doing is wrong and do like what you said about no trash, I'm just speaking my mind and throwing out my 2 cents. I guess with what you've said I'd hope at least there might be something on the machine which notifies people that all discs(except things like blizzard plastic) is 170g or above.

Yeah good call Moo, we have a decal on the viewing area stating the 170 plus. We hope to have gen 2 give choice of color but as others have mentioned we are rolling out this version first to see if we can afford a more expensive upgrade. This is another reason to lease the machines vs sell them out right. It's much easier to renew a lease then it is to buy another machine. Kind of like cell phones.The lease is a win situation for everybody involved.

These things are going to be big! I remember when Ross Brandt told me about them back in November, and couldn't wait to see what you guys have been cooking up. Can't wait to see them here in the Twin Cities!

Working on it in fact the Cities were the first place we started. MN has the most park regulation we've come across. Rossy is on it though, we've got 3 courses in mind.

These things are going to be big! I remember when Ross Brandt told me about them back in November, and couldn't wait to see what you guys have been cooking up. Can't wait to see them here in the Twin Cities!

Where do you think would be the best fit in the cities? 3 Rivers Parks? Acorn?

I think it's a great way to give quick access to people who come to public parks and want to give disc golf a shot; maybe they drive past and see baskets and have no idea what they are looking at. This is a way for them to get involved within a few minutes :cool:

I think having all discs over 170g is a mistake. A few options of lighter, less stable discs for those who want/need that would be sensible. It might also make sense for folks who load discs into these machines to put a sticker on the front of the disc with the weight listed, so buyers could see what's available at least in the front of each disc option. Foolish newbs will be buying the wrong discs (way too overstable!) much of the time, but at least those who know what they're looking for will have options.

I know it was mentioned earlier that weight stickers become litter the second the disc is pulled from the machine. What about writing the weight on with a grease pencil or something that can be easily wiped from the disc?

I think having all discs over 170g is a mistake. A few options of lighter, less stable discs for those who want/need that would be sensible. It might also make sense for folks who load discs into these machines to put a sticker on the front of the disc with the weight listed, so buyers could see what's available at least in the front of each disc option. Foolish newbs will be buying the wrong discs (way too overstable!) much of the time, but at least those who know what they're looking for will have options.

DGLive - If you look at the photograph there is a precise method to our point of purchase. We've broken down every disc to skill level based on experience which is clearly stated along the left side of each shelf on the machine face. Weights don't dictate stability as much as molds do.

I know it was mentioned earlier that weight stickers become litter the second the disc is pulled from the machine. What about writing the weight on with a grease pencil or something that can be easily wiped from the disc?

That's a better solution for sure, thanks for the suggestion! However, we still don't want to confuse new players with too much information. Like I said in the previous post weight has never been an issue throughout my career (170 or above) in 9 years of touring and tournament play. I only cared about weight if it was below 170 because that was the only time I saw a significant difference in flight. We do offer Blizzard plastic though and it's labeled accordingly.

Last edited:
weight has never been an issue throughout my career (170 or above) in 9 years of touring and tournament play.
Just sayin', from years of pro shop work, weights matter a lot more to people than is being recognized here. Especially for newer players, yes I want them throwing proper molds, but the weight of those molds matters big-time. Beginners have trouble putting speed on golf discs, even the best beginner models. That's where weight comes in to help. Heavy Stingrays can be hostile to a kid/female/adolescent male beginner throw, while a lighter one is magical. Offering this perspective because what I like most about TeeBox has to do with its outreach to beginners :)

All I know is that machine better come with bulletproof glass. I can read the story now....course gets disc vending machine...within first 3 days it was destroyed and all the discs stolen out of the machine....either that or make sure you can cover the front of the machine at night with some kind of metal window or sliding cover.

All I know is that machine better come with bulletproof glass. I can read the story now....course gets disc vending machine...within first 3 days it was destroyed and all the discs stolen out of the machine....either that or make sure you can cover the front of the machine at night with some kind of metal window or sliding cover.

14422880_BG1.jpg

I will either go this way^ or
vend_a_goat.jpg

^this way

Last edited:
The free market will dictate whether this is a good idea or not. If it is, you'll see more and more of the machines, if it's not, it will fade out of existence within a year or two. The pros and cons I'm sure have been hashed out by the creators/investors and they are willing to give it a shot. That's what is great about our system. Some guys/gals and an idea, the rest is up to the consumer.

Case closed/ : )

14422880_BG1.jpg

I will either go this way^ or
vend_a_goat.jpg

^this way

Birdman, wow, that was almost funny, until it became creepy. Normally I wouldn't respond to such a post however you are breaking the law in threatening us - FYI. TeeBoxx is an organization, not a random chucker you see out on the course.

I'll post this response for everyone and that is: our team has invested a lot into a custom, outdoor, weather proof, vandal resistant, automated retail machine specifically made for frisbees/discs. It's development is for the good of the sport as a whole. OF COURSE, there isn't breakable glass on our machines! Haha, we aren't brain dead, we are a professional, educated and very experienced team. A wrench, hammer, sledge hammer, etc., etc. is not enough muscle to get into these, you need something more like a tank. And if somehow one was able to break in, the cops would be there long before anyone could get anything out of it.

The free market will dictate whether this is a good idea or not. If it is, you'll see more and more of the machines, if it's not, it will fade out of existence within a year or two. The pros and cons I'm sure have been hashed out by the creators/investors and they are willing to give it a shot. That's what is great about our system. Some guys/gals and an idea, the rest is up to the consumer.

Case closed/ : )

:thmbup:

Very cool idea; good way to get newer players interested and give them quick access to buying a disc. You'd be amazed how little research some people put into buying sports equipment - put it right in front of them when they get to the course and you'll see some sales I think. Unfortunately, theft will be a major issue at most DG parks - sad but true.

Just sayin', from years of pro shop work, weights matter a lot more to people than is being recognized here. Especially for newer players, yes I want them throwing proper molds, but the weight of those molds matters big-time. Beginners have trouble putting speed on golf discs, even the best beginner models. That's where weight comes in to help. Heavy Stingrays can be hostile to a kid/female/adolescent male beginner throw, while a lighter one is magical. Offering this perspective because what I like most about TeeBox has to do with its outreach to beginners :)

Thanks man, like I've said before we welcome feedback with open arms!

Latest posts