• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Anybody here (not Dana or JT) get a chance to play the first World Tour event and want to give an opinion on how they thought the teepads were in the sun and the rain? Didnt look like too much slipping going on from the live broadcast.

I didn't play in the tourney but played 9 or so holes after filming one day. I really liked them a lot.

Every player I asked about them also loved them. I think they're onto something. :thmbup:

I say study Dick Vitale and just replace his love with Duke to love for Mc3stripes baby! Either that or go full ball golf announcer and just say "useful shot" a lot. Maybe a combination of both.

I think you might need to shout, "GOOOOOOAAALLLL" when each player holes out to add some excitement. ;)

I say study Dick Vitale and just replace his love with Duke to love for Mc3stripes baby! Either that or go full ball golf announcer and just say "useful shot" a lot. Maybe a combination of both.

whisper whisper whisper whisper Yeah Baby!

Anybody here (not Dana or JT) get a chance to play the first World Tour event and want to give an opinion on how they thought the teepads were in the sun and the rain? Didnt look like too much slipping going on from the live broadcast.

How long have they been in the ground? I watched all the coverage and to me it looked like they were already worn at the front. Can anyone comment?

I didnt notice any of them looking worn in person. but they are only temporarily installed for the tournament. I assume they are already gone now. I dont know anything about their durability for permanent installation or price comparison to cement tees.

Even though you didn't ask for my opinion, I'll share anyways- I thought they were great. They were (temporarily) installed the week prior. Not an easy task on the rolling hills of La Mirada. Most were very flat, a few had a bump or two, but nothing serious. I don't recall hearing any complaints. The only thing I was worried about in the rain was getting a grip on my disc. I'm guessing these pads have been used for other temporary events in the past, possibly St. Jude?

The key to longevity with this particular version of turf is sand. My 1 small complaint would be that every now and then I got a piece of sand in my shoe during my practice round, before the sand was worked into the turf.

If anyone has any questions about the DiscGolfPark TeePads, feel free to send me a PM.
***Also, the best players in the USA have been going over to Europe and playing on these exact DiscGolfPark TeePads for years and then coming back over to the states and raving about them, regardless of brand/sponsor affiliation.

Didn't throw on the DGWT pads, but there are plenty of similar pads in Finland. They really work quite well in most conditions.

Probably the worst condition for it is a muddy environment. When wet they work fine, but when there is mud it will become slippery as ice. I guess it would be the same with concrete as well. If the soil is prone to becoming muddy, you should just elevate the teebox some. You can also brush the pads to keep them clean, which helps a lot.

What comes to durability, I have seen them last for multiple years. No experience on decade old pads. The biggest thing durability-wise is the foundation of the pad. If you just lay it on grass, of course it will get bumpy and accumulate all kinds of soil. If you make a solid foundation and elevate it a bit, it will last for a long time.

No, I want to see # of ICP for each player. Not ICP%. Only the % is on that page....unless I'm doing something wrong.....or maybe my phone isn't wide enough.

I see # of greens hit, and # of OCP, but not # of ICP.

The # of ICP for each player is on their individual scorecards if you click on them, but I want to see them all together.

No, I want to see # of ICP for each player. Not ICP%. Only the % is on that page....unless I'm doing something wrong.....or maybe my phone isn't wide enough.

I see # of greens hit, and # of OCP, but not # of ICP.

The # of ICP for each player is on their individual scorecards if you click on them, but I want to see them all together.

I see, I'm not sure what you can extrapolate out of that, but maybe an "average ICP" stat on the player profile itself would be cool (ICP attempts/total holes).

You're correct though, I don't think that stat is public. Obviously it's recorded in order to transform it into a %, but it might be a future rollout (not teasing, I genuinely don't know). I do know that these aren't the only metrix planned forever, it's just the start.

Anyone know why La Mirada was listed as an XA? My guess is that is due to the payout structure.

I believe it was due to the "One Division. One Champion." format. I may be totally wrong but I think PDGA payout tables are only recommended, I don't think they add the X based on that.

You're correct though, I don't think that stat is public. Obviously it's recorded in order to transform it into a %, but it might be a future rollout (not teasing, I genuinely don't know). I do know that these aren't the only metrix planned forever, it's just the start.

Some simple math makes it pretty easy to figure out the numbers though, so it's not like it is a big secret that couldn't be included if the DGWT was so inclined. ;)

I believe it was due to the "One Division. One Champion." format. I may be totally wrong but I think PDGA payout tables are only recommended, I don't think they add the X based on that.

There's no reason to X-sanction a tournament due to restricting it to one division. Provided there's advance notice, a tournament director can limit the divisions offered in any way they see fit (Competition Manual section 2.1 J). Otherwise any pro-only or am-only tournament would have to be X as well, which is obviously not the case.

Pay tables are suggestions, but paying 40% or more of a pro division is required (for US events at least). It appears the target for the event was 33% of the field. It paid 44 (37.9%) but there was a six-way tie for 38th. With no tie, paying 38 would be 32.7% of the field.

Also, with Jussi's statements about believing that investing in the media/PR aspects of the tournament are more important to the "grow the sport" thing than just putting all the sponsor money into the payout, the X might be related to the minimum added cash requirements as well. Looks like the minimum was exceeded in this event (150X116=17600, so at least 2400 was added) so it was a non-factor. But it could have been during the sanctioning process as a "just in case" thing.

The event paid 38+%(~40%) with $2750 cash added which meets A-tier standards. So it wasn't payout that produced the X. I wouldn't think it was even requiring players to enter putts on their scorecard. It may have been originally sanctioned as an X-tier just in case there were things Jussi wanted to do but decided not to include at this first event?

Possible. The layout was great but I could completely see him setting up a buncr hole or two. Any funky OB configurations gets you an X.

I wouldn't think it was even requiring players to enter putts on their scorecard. It may have been originally sanctioned as an X-tier just in case there were things Jussi wanted to do but decided not to include at this first event?

It was not due to the extra data-keeping such as greens hit or ICP, this stuff was optional and alot of it was done by scorekeepers anyways.

I would guess that the fact that the rest of the tour is in Europe (until USDGC) has something to do with not doing live broadcasts. The Disc Golf Planet crew that back-ended the La Mirada broadcast aren't going to be flying over to do their part there. Cell coverage might be more expensive there as well (it's pretty damn expensive here, after all). Probably a lot easier to not bother with it and focus on what they already do well, and that's the edited post-round stuff.

I can't imagine that Jonathan Poole and the USDGC folks are going to go all four days without some sort of live broadcast. They pioneered live coverage there, even before there was live video. There was DOTS, of course, but also a live radio stream...way before anyone else was doing video at all (other than for VHS/DVD production).