• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

I thought the coverage came out great, including the wrap up and the stats. They should show a graphic of each hole though, or an arial or something. They need to show people where the dangers are and the potential routes. I know La Mirada well so it's easy for me to follow and know how hard/dangerous some of those shots are but for someone that has never played it I think it would be tough.

I agree, the course plays much harder than it looks on broadcast. Painted lines 1 inch wide and a couple wimpy flags are not sufficient for educating an audience about OB areas. Where were the hay bales and other barriers at?

Green hits? I love that Jussi is bringing back the "grass"roots of our hippie sport.

Putts in the circle: Anywhere from tap-ins to 33-footers. I'd like to see "Total Distance of Putts" per round/average length of putts made.

I did enjoy sitting by my wood-burning stove and watching up in NorCal while it was raining. Hats off to all who had anything to do with putting on these broadcasts.

In the for what it's worth column, here's my take on the DGWT...

I've made a couple of observations and posted an opinion - overall, however, it's important to note Jussi ran a fine tournament, the course was dressed nicely and the event was executed well. Kudos to him and his team.

Some quick perspective, I was Commissioner and Chairman of the Board of the PDGA in the early part of this century and drove the creation of the National Tour (among other things including negotiating the IDGC, restructuring the org, creating the disc golf foundation and the Majors structure). At the time, I was relatively new to the organized aspect of the sport and previously had been an active in racing mountain bikes. While in that sport I witnessed 2 organizations, IMBA and NORBA, split the riders which had lasting negative impact on its growth (when was the last time you watched that sport on network television?). While serving the PDGA it was personally important to maintain and keep the voice of the players relevant in the growth of the sport. In full disclosure, I do wonder whether the current elected leadership has lost sight of that dynamic, the org is arguably no longer leading but following and seems to be willing to hand over control of top events (DGWT DGPT) justifying it as 'they can do a better job than we can'. Not sure if that's just an excuse for underperformance or justified, right now all is fine and dandy until the basic for-profit motivations are no longer aligned with the desires/voice of the players - which will likely happen over time.

The NT was certainly less than perfect (I took a lot of arrows to the back ;) - but it was the best we had to offer at the time, was a top request from the members and, in hindsight, has sustained itself for 13 years thus far. It did, however, fundamentally ensure that the voice of the players, the PDGA, had a significant role in its development – whether or not it has been used over time.

So... DGWT adding women's divisions? We can ask but as players we have no right to demand it in this case.

You can say what you want about the course/layout/and facility but it's Jussi's call.
To this point, I expressed an opinion on this as it's tough for me to reconcile the ultimate vision of the DGWT with holding the event in a multi-use public park. Totally agree the PDGA had nothing to do with sight selection – but they've been working on identifying medium-size cities for major events for years, seems like that effort could have benefitted Jussi and the DGWT had it been leveraged… As I watched on Saturday – it simply felt like we stepped back in time 13 years to the NT kick-off without much change other than a little more glitz…

More and higher quality video coverage would have been great - we can ask for it and if it's profitable, we'll get more... Jussi's call...

I wish for nothing but success in the efforts of the DGWT, we all will be better for it. I do, however, remain curious on the ability for the new tours to provide a real economic return on the investment… The PDGA likely justifies its quarter million-ish/year investment in the NT/Majors as marketing expense as there is little-to-no direct return.

I really enjoyed and appreciated the coverage. Sitting at home, watching the broadcast on my TV, finishing up some work from the week - couldn't think of a better and more productive way to spend my Friday and Saturday afternoons. Thanks to all of those involved for your hard work and commitment to the sport!

My only request to the commentators: If possible, please make note of the featured card players' discs (at least their most utilized discs) before the round begins so we'll have some idea of what they're throwing. It seemed like each of them threw 6-8 discs for 80% of their non-putt throws, which seems manageable on the fly. I recall Avery commenting on McBest's use of a Monster and some AJ Destroyers, but I would've really enjoyed knowing what else was being thrown by all 4 players out there.

My only request to the commentators: If possible, please make note of the featured card players' discs (at least their most utilized discs) before the round begins so we'll have some idea of what they're throwing. It seemed like each of them threw 6-8 discs for 80% of their non-putt throws, which seems manageable on the fly. I recall Avery commenting on McBest's use of a Monster and some AJ Destroyers, but I would've really enjoyed knowing what else was being thrown by all 4 players out there.
I'm not really surprised they didn't delve more into that, though saying "with an overstable putter" or something general like that would be nice. I can help with some of these, for what it's worth:

- The black putter Paul approached with is a Nova. I also think he threw a Thunderbird off the tee on 18 (final round).
- Simon uses a C-line FD for rollers, and the approach shot on hole 9 looked like a C-line P2. The crazy anhyzer flex on 14 was probably one of his PD2's. He also teed off with a Glow MD3 on hole 12 at least once.
- The blue putter Ricky threw on several occasions (both backhand and sidearm) is a Westside Harp.
- I know for sure that KJ throws Rocs. Don't know if he still has the Echo Destroyer he aced with in European Masters, but if he does the flight is very straight.

Last edited:
Now that the edited round footage is coming out (ccdg vids pending), its interesting comparing the pros and cons of each style of viewing the coverage. live vs edited (no commentary) vs edited (with commentary)....

Good writeup! Anyone else spend some time reading articles on Ultiworld? That brownie story....

Is the ICP% for ALL putts inside the circle? Or only the first putt after hitting a green?

i.e. If you miss the green and then lay up directly under the basket and tap in for 3, you obviously didn't hit the green, but does that drop-in count in your ICP?

This is how I think it works.

If you throw the disc from inside the circle it is counted as a ICP regardless of the outcome. That is why you will see numbers greater than 1 in the stats. If you hit a putt from outside the circle, you see a star there, and nothing for the ICP.

ICP%=100-(totalICP-numHolesICP)/numHolesICP

Is the ICP% for ALL putts inside the circle? Or only the first putt after hitting a green?

i.e. If you miss the green and then lay up directly under the basket and tap in for 3, you obviously didn't hit the green, but does that drop-in count in your ICP?

it's for all putts. after every hole, each player wrote down the number of putts they threw from inside the circle. divide how many in the circle putts are made by how many in the circle attempts and you have the %

It should. Also, if you hit the green, miss your putt and finish out with a 2 putt, that hole should be 50% ICP

Drop-in does count into the ICP stats, because it's technically a putt. If you putt from say 30 feet and hit the cage, and then drop in, it's two ICP's.

Or if you're like me... I could rack up a green hit, followed by an in the circle miss, then an outside the circle miss, and an in the circle putt all on the same hole

qNFIp2P.jpg

Latest posts