• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

It was a weird setup anyway with just one division. Players rated from 890s to 1050s?!

What's the point for those lower ranked players, just the experience or to say they got to play in the dgwt?

say they got to play in the DGWT. jussi specifically set aside registration spots for highly rated players. once all the 1000+ and 970+ players signed up and registration stagnated, he lowered guidelines to fill the field. he wanted the best of the best to show up and if there was extra room, anybody could come out to help fund his tournament and 'donate'.

It was a weird setup anyway with just one division. Players rated from 890s to 1050s?!

What's the point for those lower ranked players, just the experience or to say they got to play in the dgwt?

Both.

And from the TD's perspective, all those sub-960ish rated players are donors to pad the purse, which given what is invested in the infrastructure and publicity of the event (including the coverage) is needed.

You shave the bottom 20 players off the Open field and hand those spots to another division, be it FPO, MPM, MA1, or whatever, and that's 20 players worth of entry fees that come out of the MPO payout and get put into its own pool. And if it is a pro division, there is also an expectation that there will be added cash as well...so deduct that from MPO as well.

Want to see what I mean in action, take a look at the payouts at the USDGC in 2008-2010 when it was still One Division, One Champion. First place took home 5 figures and they paid 60+ players. Then look at the payouts from 2012 on, when the field was more than cut in half and the players that would otherwise have been padding the Open field were in their own division (Performance). Still lots of added cash in the purse, but the biggest difference is the 70-90 fewer players putting money into the pot.

Kind makes the point that there was no reason not to have an FPO division.

I didn't find Sarah Hokom's FB post to be offensive, misguided or necessarily incorrect.

The fact that PDGA events have had different divisions since ??(don't feel like looking it up) has kind of set those expectations. The fact that Jussi is the only one who sees it as unecessary or whatever is a little odd, but he is entitled to run his events as he sees fit.

And any men upset they can't play the Daisy Chains should maybe reevaluate a little bit, and make sure they celebrate International Men's Day on November 19th to ensure they aren't being marginalized.

i should make a new thread and complain that jussi didn't have an AM side of the disc golf world tour and i feel robbed and cheated and he needs to give it to me right now because it's not fair that the pros got to play and i didn't and it sucks and it's not fair and jussi is mean and a sexist and a skillest and an elitest and he sucks i don't like him and i won't support is poopy tour.

You mean like eeeeeveryother tournament out there? Lol

I don't care for this tournament so far, compared to all the others, just my preference. But it does seem pointless to have one division. Paul wins, his friends place somewhat close and then there is way more than half the field that places loke 26-65 strokes back from the lead... Haha, good division, if your Paul...

The tournament was really well organized. Lots of staff, spotters, etc. For say a local 940 player who has a 10% chance of cashing, playing an elite level tournament on that course may be worth paying the entry. The players pack was worth $70-80 so he loses what? $100? For alot of people, that once a year experience may be worth it.

I think its great that there is a true OPEN tournament out there. Anyone could have played if they wanted to.

In a way I agree with Hokum's stance.
But from the feminist point, Catrina Allen already smashed the patriarchy by showing up and competing at, frankly, a very high level. That should really get more hype than Hokum questioning why there is no Women's Divisions.

Pioneers like Gloria Stienem didnt demand special treatment...they took it by force by showing they belonged. Catrina did just that and as much BS as I've posted about her, my hat is off to her. I hope she encourages more women to do the same...go out there and kick butt in the boys club!

say they got to play in the DGWT. jussi specifically set aside registration spots for highly rated players. once all the 1000+ and 970+ players signed up and registration stagnated, he lowered guidelines to fill the field. he wanted the best of the best to show up and if there was extra room, anybody could come out to help fund his tournament and 'donate'.

With the field that played, there was a sharp drop-off in talent once you got past the top 15 or so. That means there were 20ish cashing spots up for grabs. There was alot better chance for a random player to cash than most big A tier/NT level tournaments.

Has anyone found footage of Steve Key's ace on Hole 18 to end round one? I've been searching all weekend and can't seem to find any video. That's a pretty sweet hole to ace. (I'm guessing skip shot) I'd love to see it!

Kind makes the point that there was no reason not to have an FPO division.

The idea that there are players willing to contribute to the prize pool in exchange for the experience, is a good thing. I'm not seeing how participation of said players supports your point in any way.

This is a tournament with an OPEN field. People of all age and gender are welcome. If you want to participate against exclusively your piers, go play in a tournament that offers restricted divisions. It shouldn't be hard to find one, since 95% of events offer them. All the complaining reeks of entitlement.

I get it. Kinda. And I don't have a problem with it. I just wouldn't run a tournament that way, and prefer following/watching almost all the other tournaments that have divisions.

I assume ALL disc golf players would prefer divisional play too, right?

I don't recall complaining, I recall trying to have a discussion. I didn't find Sarah to be complaining either.

And I agree that Catrina made a strong statement as well by choosing to play.

It's interesting how people pick and choose when it's convenient to compare DG to other sports. In this case, it's entirely OK to suggest comparisons to the WNBA and LPGA, ignoring the fact that more than 60 years have passed since the NBA formed and 90 years since the PGA was. Wouldn't want society to evolve at all and show that a MPO and FPO can coexist at the same events. While I agree it is fine to give the women the choice to compete against the men, not giving the option (in an FPO division) seems like a step backwards.

Much respect for Catrina playing Open in the tourney. Side note, she does have a traveling partner that was going to be playing anyway and attending, so hotel lodging, trip fare, food, everything is split and makes it much easier than another pro female going it alone and not cashing. Just sayin.

I wonder what 'reserve' means? I think it means.. 'we won't kick you out if you hold the event there'.....

Top events like this in public parks with kids running around, family fairway picnicking and dogs/diapers being changed are kind of a joke... imo...

I attempted to use a restroom while I was out there... all locked up with the door covered in urine.... the money certainly wasn't used to pay staff to go unlock the restrooms....

hu14ox.jpg

This particular bathroom has been locked for years. I've been playing since 2011 and i've never seen it unlocked.

It's interesting how people pick and choose when it's convenient to compare DG to other sports. In this case, it's entirely OK to suggest comparisons to the WNBA and LPGA, ignoring the fact that more than 60 years have passed since the NBA formed and 90 years since the PGA was. Wouldn't want society to evolve at all and show that a MPO and FPO can coexist at the same events. While I agree it is fine to give the women the choice to compete against the men, not giving the option (in an FPO division) seems like a step backwards.

Well-stated. I feel like the "it took the LPGA fifty years to form after the PGA, give ladies disc golf some time" argument is the highest form of a cop out. It's 2016, it's time to evolve.

(The above statement is stated by a stay-at-home dad, so this message is brought to you by a heavy dose of counter-culture and appreciation for strong women.)

I just back from an "Engaging Women in Sport" conference and learned some pretty interesting things. From the female athletes I talked to, it seems that the elite wish they had the opportunity to compete with men from a young age all through high school and university. One hockey player was pretty steamed that she got separated at a certain age, as she felt she could keep up physically with the men. In a sport like disc golf, with its relative young age, there is absolutely no reason why men and women should be separated. If they kept playing together I guarantee there would be more women in the top 25 than most would assume, in not THAT long a period. One of the things holding women back in sports is a lack of coverage which translates to less female participation. For these reasons I applaud Terry and smasboxx for covering the female card on day two, despite how much it inconvenienced Sonic Guy. In the grand scheme of things, covering the women's card, or not having gender separated divisions (from a young age) would go a long way in getting more women to play. /End feminist rant, ducks and covers...

I just back from an "Engaging Women in Sport" conference and learned some pretty interesting things. From the female athletes I talked to, it seems that the elite wish they had the opportunity to compete with men from a young age all through high school and university. One hockey player was pretty steamed that she got separated at a certain age, as she felt she could keep up physically with the men. In a sport like disc golf, with its relative young age, there is absolutely no reason why men and women should be separated. If they kept playing together I guarantee there would be more women in the top 25 than most would assume, in not THAT long a period. One of the things holding women back in sports is a lack of coverage which translates to less female participation. For these reasons I applaud Terry and smasboxx for covering the female card on day two, despite how much it inconvenienced Sonic Guy. In the grand scheme of things, covering the women's card, or not having gender separated divisions (from a young age) would go a long way in getting more women to play. /End feminist rant, ducks and covers...

The part I bolded is what I interpret Hokom to be so upset about: That this big tour generating a lot of hype and media coverage - an opportunity to showcase both genders in the sport - only invited the top few female players, instead of extending the invite to all of them.

The part I bolded is what I interpret Hokom to be so upset about: That this big tour generating a lot of hype and media coverage - an opportunity to showcase both genders in the sport - only invited the top few female players, instead of extending the invite to all of them.

Agreed. Pretty great that Allen did as well as she did though.

Latest posts