• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Yeah the metrix references did seem a little overforced... But I think since it's the first time fans are seeing the metrix in use, it helps to reference them so new viewers know what they are looking at.

On a side note, the DGWT trophies look pretty awesome

I think this was definitely a good first step and learning experience for spintv in the live broadcasting department, as its shown with everyone else who has done it there is a learning curve.

Perhaps Jtacoma, you and Avery could try and settle on a style and set roles behind your commentary to provide a little more internal structure to your live commentary. A good example of this would be Goldberg and Rogan in the UFC. For the most part Rogan provides the technical commentary, and Goldberg provides the color commentary. Rogan (being Avery) would speak to strategy and the technical aspects of what is being executed on the course (primarily) and Goldberg primarily reacts to the current situations and provides background information about the fighters and context to what the viewer is seeing. They don't use it as a strict formula as each commentator has valuable insights in the other category as well, but it sets a loose structure behind what they are hoping to accomplish over the course of a broadcast which helps them feel more comfortable in their contributions in the moment..
Just an aside.... Color commentary is the 'technical commentary' aspect of a broadcast team. The other being the play-by-play guy. Rogan is the color. Goldberg is the play-by-play.

We definitely need a good play-by-play personality in live disc golf to take it to the next level (look at eSports and their broadcast teams). Terry does a pretty solid job of it but I think he would do a better job watching the action from a studio where he wasn't worried about being too loud or being a distraction to the players. Same with JT. Whispering out on the course is a terrible place for a play-by-play guy to showcase his/her talents.

Yeah the metrix references did seem a little overforced... But I think since it's the first time fans are seeing the metrix in use, it helps to reference them so new viewers know what they are looking at.

I think this was a case of them investing way too much into the Metrix part of the broadcast so they felt like they REALLY needed to highlight it. Unfortunately it felt VERY forced and really didn't offer that much insight at all.

Last edited:
I thought the tournament was mediocre to slightly disappointing. Even with all the fake hype funneled in my expectations weren't very high so it wasn't quite a failure to me atleast. Definitely not rememberable. Hardly watchable. I usually enjoy Jenkins' insight, but part of me feels like he's taking the lazy way out by not playing. He probably did make more money announcing than playing and getting beat by Catrina Allen. The stats were ok, but if you're trying to get more eyeballs as a spectator sport I don't think that stats can replace coverage, they should be a supplement to coverage. Overall I'd say the positive is there's plenty of room for improvement and I truly hope they figure it out! Until then give me CCDG and even Smashboxxxxx!

You're right about this and I wasn't contesting it in any way.

Please don't put non-existing bubbles into my head. I know it would happen if disc golf would be at that point so far, but it's of course not the case yet.

Well you have to start somewhere. You cant just up and say "not the case yet" if you never try anything to make a case.

Here is my case for you... the pro open category golfers are stacked, the amount of women that play tournaments in open seems to grow every 2 to 3 years, the amount of talent that are aging out in to masters grows but not as fast as the amount of people jumpin up into open.

I just watched the final round recap, the Metrix didn't show the round ratings which is one stat I always look at on pdga.com.

I just watched the final round recap, the Metrix didn't show the round ratings which is one stat I always look at on pdga.com.

This is actually a really good point. And it would take all of two seconds for Avery or JTacoma to explain those arent official ratings but still provide a goid glimpse of how well they played both against the course and other players.

Great insight.

Just a little thing, but when I'm watching live sports I'm used to the score being displayed all the time. It would be cool if the player's name, score, and current standing position was displayed when they tee'd off.

Just a little thing, but when I'm watching live sports I'm used to the score being displayed all the time. It would be cool if the player's name, score, and current standing position was displayed when they tee'd off.

Or a ticker across the bottom that was always running.

It costs them about 3000 dollars to resverve the park. So, that's where a chunk of the cash went.

I wonder what 'reserve' means? I think it means.. 'we won't kick you out if you hold the event there'.....

Top events like this in public parks with kids running around, family fairway picnicking and dogs/diapers being changed are kind of a joke... imo...

I attempted to use a restroom while I was out there... all locked up with the door covered in urine.... the money certainly wasn't used to pay staff to go unlock the restrooms....

hu14ox.jpg

I wonder what 'reserve' means? I think it means.. 'we won't kick you out if you hold the event there'.....

Top events like this in public parks with kids running around, family fairway picnicking and dogs/diapers being changed are kind of a joke... imo...

I attempted to use a restroom while I was out there... all locked up with the door covered in urine.... the money certainly wasn't used to pay staff to go unlock the restrooms....

hu14ox.jpg

Where else was Mcbeth gonna go? The door was locked, and he could hear the 30 second count coming from the teepad.

hu14ox.jpg

Yeah, that sucks that the bathrooms weren't unlocked. Were there portable restrooms available?

And as far as playing a "Major Event" like this in a public park, I ask again for all those who complain about it to get busy buying up land and developing these disc golf dedicated venues that you all seem to think are going to magically happen.

Growing pains people. A few thousand viewers and a few million $ in sales is not enough popularity or economically viable yet.

They should just not bother holding events like this at all, because that will get the world's attention.

There was a little joking around yesterday when McBeth went for a bathroom break before teeing off on 17. Pretty lighthearted moment after last weekend's situation.

FWIW, there were other bathrooms (I think around 9) that were open. Seems this one that was locked was at one of the furthest points from tourney central, but it is a fair critique.

Yeah, that sucks that the bathrooms weren't unlocked. Were there portable restrooms available?

And as far as playing a "Major Event" like this in a public park, I ask again for all those who complain about it to get busy buying up land and developing these disc golf dedicated venues that you all seem to think are going to magically happen.

Growing pains people. A few thousand viewers and a few million $ in sales is not enough popularity or economically viable yet.

They should just not bother holding events like this at all, because that will get the world's attention.

The sport has doubled twice since the NT kicked off there in 2003 - I was there then and this event was like stepping back in time... would have thought 13 years with our growth rates the sport - at this level- should be something more than a redeaux, again just my opinion.

Smaller, mid-market cities are supposedly willing to meet the requirements of the sport at this level providing the potential for suitable facilities and support. How much more of the PDGA budget has to be spent sending Brian Graham to every relative conference on this topic before we see the fruits of that investment?

On the women's side, Is it unrealistic to expect Innova to foot the bill for their own tour?

It seems to be coming from a privileged standpoint to complain that they didn't have a separate division.

Have any of the people complaining online, ever tried to start their own tour? Have they gone out and found sponsors and then figured out the resources/infrastructure needed to pull off a series of events?

It's easy to whine about not having something handed to you. But to me some of the responses/thinking reeks of privilege.

Not to say they don't have a point about men vs women in disc golf physically, but I don't see anyone raising six figures on their end to make their own thing happen.

On the women's side, Is it unrealistic to expect Innova to foot the bill for their own tour?

It seems to be coming from a privileged standpoint to complain that they didn't have a separate division.

Have any of the people complaining online, ever tried to start their own tour? Have they gone out and found sponsors and then figured out the resources/infrastructure needed to pull off a series of events?

It's easy to whine about not having something handed to you. But to me some of the responses/thinking reeks of privilege.

Not to say they don't have a point about men vs women in disc golf physically, but I don't see anyone raising six figures on their end to make their own thing happen.

I think the issue comes from this event being very highly publicized, and then pro women basically being uninvolved. It's easy to tell women to go make their own tour...Probably as easy as it would be to open an FPO division like at all the other big events. That's speculation, but I wonder how much more it would have cost to have a 10-20 player FPO division.

It was a weird setup anyway with just one division. Players rated from 890s to 1050s?!

What's the point for those lower ranked players, just the experience or to say they got to play in the dgwt?

I think the issue comes from this event being very highly publicized, and then pro women basically being uninvolved. It's easy to tell women to go make their own tour...Probably as easy as it would be to open an FPO division like at all the other big events. That's speculation, but I wonder how much more it would have cost to have a 10-20 player FPO division.

why is it highly publicized... because the guy running the tournament is spending the money to publicize his own tournament. it's jussi's tournament. he funds it, he runs it how he wants. so much entitlement going on... if you didn't make the cut, you didn't make the cut. if you don't want to compete, then don't compete.

the NBA came to be in 1946. the WNBA came to be in 1996. that's 50 years where no women could play in the league AND it took 50 years of professional basketball before there was enough interest to make a professional women's side. in this tournament, women are included.

this is disc golf. if you want to spread the game, which is jussi's intentions, the only way to do it is to feature the best of the best in order to gain interest.

this is a non gender and non age restricted tournament. this is a tournament geared towards the ceiling of disc golf and that's it. why is it that only the women are complaining? there wasn't a master's devision, grandmaster's, etc... but nobody is getting riled up about that. lots of white knights out there...

i should make a new thread and complain that jussi didn't have an AM side of the disc golf world tour and i feel robbed and cheated and he needs to give it to me right now because it's not fair that the pros got to play and i didn't and it sucks and it's not fair and jussi is mean and a sexist and a skillest and an elitest and he sucks i don't like him and i won't support is poopy tour.

The sport has doubled twice since the NT kicked off there in 2003 - I was there then and this event was like stepping back in time... would have thought 13 years with our growth rates the sport - at this level- should be something more than a redeaux, again just my opinion.

Smaller, mid-market cities are supposedly willing to meet the requirements of the sport at this level providing the potential for suitable facilities and support. How much more of the PDGA budget has to be spent sending Brian Graham to every relative conference on this topic before we see the fruits of that investment?

This event series is being done primarily outside the PDGA structure, at one point it was unclear if the events would even be PDGA sactioned, so bitching about Brian Graham, in this instance at least, is a little irrelevant.

And we can quote PDGA membership numbers, the influx of manufacturers, and other 'growth' rates all we want, but the fact is that DG is still small potatoes. Major sponsors from outside the game are still lacking, and I would guess that whatever money being spent inside the game by all these new players is simply being spread around to all the new manufacturers...

Latest posts