• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Found the results. Yep, easy win, even while playing poorly on a few holes the last round. Simon crumbled. There's always next time.

Edit: ^Thanks. :)

Wysocki had some chances to take back some strokes early and couldn't capitalize. McBeth wasn't as hot as normal, but he put the pedal down on the last few holes.

Simon's tee shot on 14 cleared about five houses. It was INSANE. :clap:

I'm already tired of DGWT trying to sell McBeth and Simon as "the rival". There are at least 10 other golfers out there that is more of a rival than Simon. I like him, he is just too laid back to ever be a major threat to McBeth. And I'm not a McBeth homer.

Considering the events in Europe and the sponsorship ties between them or makes complete sense to me. Is Simon the second best in the world? No...but I completely understand why they choose him.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I read every single one of your posts and I appreciate it, the props and the critique alike.

Some common questions we've been getting so I'll address them:

"Why only the back 9?"
- This was a decision we made based on a few factors. We knew going in that some would write us off for not doing full rounds, but I'm happy we made the decision. The only "live TV" I've ever done was The Insider Show last year, and Avery has never done it. So when we looked and said "man 4 or 5 hours is a loooong time", we didn't want to effectively hang us out to dry on our first go-round. We also knew pretty early on that we wouldn't have enough pre-produced assets to cover that much airtime, and we didn't have the budget to create that amount. So our thought process was "quality over quantity", and obviously our broadcasts were not perfect, in fact we have lots of room to improve, so I stand by this decision. Truthfully, I didn't want to go live at all. I don't think disc golf is ready for it. There's too many links in the chain where things can go wrong, and you still have to spend an exorbitant amount of money just to do the bare-minimum-cheap-o-route (which everybody does, Smashboxx, DGP/TFMG, everybody...). I don't really see it as a good way to grow our sport in terms of $ investment, because IF a big broadcaster came in and thought it was valuable, they would bring it in house. That money can be better spent, but that's just my opinion.

"Why no Thursday?"
- We predicted the need for a rehearsal. We actually shot it as if it was live...and you're not going to see it for good reason. Again, Avery and I are new to this. We don't claim to be good, we just claim to work hard and be eager. Also, Thursday numbers historically are not good for anybody. More eyes watch Friday and Saturday rounds.

"Why does this sound like an infomercial for X brand?"
- OK, people might think I'm a dick here, but I'm just going to be candid. It's because of who pays the bills, and what they ask for in return for their cash. I don't make those deals, and my opinion doesn't get asked in the process. I would have to be stupid to get on a broadcast funded by Company A and actively hype their main competitor(s). Personally, I have no biases. I didn't grow up in disc golf so I don't have a homer sort of affinity towards a brand (now college football is a different story...). I think every major disc golf company does at least 1 thing really, really well. All that said, it's business, and all of those owners of other brands understand that. Jussi believed in me from the start of SpinTV, and so because of where that money comes from to keep doing our thing, we promote that brand over others. You just don't bite the hand that feeds. Admittedly I do tend to get frustrated at this, because with all the new eyeballs seeing disc golf through SpinTV you would think that company would get props for actively funding media that grows the sport, but strangely it's the opposite. It seems at times that only the smaller companies are allowed to say "#growthesport", which is illogical to me because this company has been doing it the longest, and their goals are very similar to everyone else's in the first place.

"This sucks/This isn't better than anything else/Doesn't live up to the hype"
- I'm truly sorry to hear that. Honestly we lost a big "battle", for lack of a better term, very late in the game on this production. We were supposed to reach an agreement with the county to use the cable internet in the park offices, but that fell through. With no internet in the park, we had to move the switch to a remote location (same setup in theory as Smashboxx with JVD at the controls from far away), which didn't allow us to set up a studio with a live feed monitor. I believe we found this out about 14 days out, which changed our original plans. It's nobody's fault, we just weren't able to secure it after we expected to be able to...and with the hype machine on full blast...well you can do the math from there. All I know is our crew works just as hard as the next one and I'm proud of them for adapting to that as well as multiple other last minute issues and changes, and just grinding out this weekend.

I really haven't seen any coverage, but I was able to see some shots from Stu on the website. Great job in bringing him on board. :thmbup:

"This sucks/This isn't better than anything else/Doesn't live up to the hype"
- I'm truly sorry to hear that. Honestly we lost a big "battle", for lack of a better term, very late in the game on this production. We were supposed to reach an agreement with the county to use the cable internet in the park offices, but that fell through. With no internet in the park, we had to move the switch to a remote location (same setup in theory as Smashboxx with JVD at the controls from far away), which didn't allow us to set up a studio with a live feed monitor. I believe we found this out about 14 days out, which changed our original plans. It's nobody's fault, we just weren't able to secure it after we expected to be able to...and with the hype machine on full blast...well you can do the math from there. All I know is our crew works just as hard as the next one and I'm proud of them for adapting to that as well as multiple other last minute issues and changes, and just grinding out this weekend.

Really happy to see you address this, and sorry we didn't get to talk more about it today. Like you said, the hype train was moving, and that set up some people up (myself included) thinking that the production level would be different. It was still good, and being able to sit in my house and watch the event from afar is a commodity, no doubt. Thanks for the clarification.

I will also say this: You and Avery have a nice rapport, and I think having two people on the commentary is a big plus. I enjoyed what you guys brought to the broadcast, and the stats are phenomenal. Especially from a journalism standpoint, where I can use them in a wrap article, it is tremendous.

Finally, being on the ground today was a totally different experience than watching online, and one I wish everyone else could take in. It was a professionally run event, and you could really tell everyone was working hard. I think if that level of polish can eventually be worked into a wider-ranging broadcast - money pending, of course - then the whole event is a slam dunk. As is, it is still very impressive.

Sarah Hokum's Facebook page I believe. She had a long post about it.

I think it's ok to have one tour series where it's one field all mixed together. Really cool to see Catrina finish 45th showing she play better than even a 1000+ rated men's player.

I really haven't seen any coverage, but I was able to see some shots from Stu on the website. Great job in bringing him on board. :thmbup:

Stu is one of the most skilled photographers I've ever met, and a genuine pleasure to work with. I was beyond stoked to have him on the crew.

Sarah Hokum's Facebook page I believe. She had a long post about it.

Hokum had every opportunity to register. I find it odd that out of 2000+ PDGA events every year, most of which feature a FPO division (yes, most, I've even played against Catrina at another Open only event), she picks this one to crusade against.

That's all I'll say about that. Props to Catrina, she went out and battled.

I honestly thought the broadcast went very well with one exception.
Avery
He seems like a great guy, but he is not articulate enough to be talking to a live audience. Even his pre-recorded "deep in the game" series. Its like he will try and string two words together at the same time and just gibberish comes out. I thought Jamie was excellent though, and even if Avery has the pro perspective, it counts for not if he just sounds unpolished doing it.

The bitrate of the stream was still to low. Camera cuts were random, video/commercial getting cued too early or too late and its very apparent that there is little to no communication between the talent and the production staff in the truck during the broadcast (IFB... how does it work?)

Very confusing why they didn't have JT and Avery inside somewhere watching the action on monitors and commenting from the 'booth.' I guess they like huddling around an umbrella and a single microphone where they can't see all the action?

Also. COMPRESSOR/LIMITER on a microphone. Jesus its a $150 piece of hardware that not a single group in disc golf broadcasting has invested in. Hell DGP.tv's Tricaster has it built into the software. USE IT PLEASE.

I feel like everything they do that gets a pass through post-production is looking very good but the actual live broadcast still isn't anywhere near what Jussi had at the Europe Open (or whatever major that was).

All things aside they definitely battled through that weather so kudos to everybody on site for dealing with adverse conditions.

The live broadcast from Jussi's tourneys in europe was done by Finnish national television. Slightly different.

So she remains quite not vocalizing her opinion until after the first event? Why not when the tour was first announced as "one division" when she could have pushed for a change? Doesn't make sense to me. Fair play to Cat who recognized this as an opportunity and held her own. I'm guessing the DGWT will evolve into two divisions sooner rather than later.

So she remains quite not vocalizing her opinion until after the first event? Why not when the tour was first announced as "one division" when she could have pushed for a change?
No, this is the right moment. It's usually too late to voice for change the moment a major tour is announced, whereas now there's a full season to think about it.

But chose not to because the competition is not fair, and I have to say I agree. I can't really support the exclusion of women's division on DGWT.

Let me give another analogy:

Do you boycott a hamburger restaurant for "excluding" sushi? No, the proprietor of that restaurant is not obligated to serve every type of food on their menu just because that recipe exists.

Jussi chose a format, pays for it with his own money (whether out of pocket or earned via business agreements), and executes it. If she doesn't want to participate that's fine, but her point is that Jussi should make a FPO division, and the reasoning is 'because I think there should be one"

If it was the PDGA (aka governing body of the sport) it would be one thing, but honestly it's a pretty entitled stance to take when you say that someone should put in money from their company for you because you want them to. Ignore the fact that it's a gender difference, what if it was an age protected division? what if some Am2 players took this stance? It's all the same in the end.

...and finally, it's not really a boycott if you show up to the event and start posting about it all over facebook.

Ok, now I'm done with this. I don't want to go down this rabbit hole. I have nothing bad to say about her personally, I just think her logic is off on this.

But chose not to because the competition is not fair,

Is it any less fair for the 25 sub-950 rated players or the 11 <1000-rated Masters or Grandmasters who competed?

I can't really support the exclusion of women's division on DGWT.

You're perfectly free to donate your time and money to make a women's division happen.

Maybe Sarah should go out and do the legwork for a women's Pro Tour... LPGA anyone?

It's easier to sit on the sideline of the event while posting about how unfair it is on Facebook though. And yeah, you really can't talk about how unfair it is when there are guys playing that are struggling really bad in the event like they did. There are plenty of women's events. And why is it OK to have women's only tournaments? This one isn't even Men only, it's everyone. I don't think men can register for the Daisy Chains thing they do.

All of the women who boycotted should have registered, competed hard and showed spectators how well our top women can play. That would have been inspiring and done more for growing the women's game versus a negative Facebook post.

I honestly thought the broadcast went very well with one exception.
Avery
He seems like a great guy, but he is not articulate enough to be talking to a live audience. Even his pre-recorded "deep in the game" series. Its like he will try and string two words together at the same time and just gibberish comes out. I thought Jamie was excellent though, and even if Avery has the pro perspective, it counts for not if he just sounds unpolished doing it.

Like every NFL player that goes behind the desk..

I think he did just fine, and he'll improve with experience. Actually, this is pretty shallow, but if it were just JT I would think "who is this nobody, and why is he pretending to know-it-all on camera?" Having the pro who's a world champ gives it a balance - not of commentator ability, but a balance to the viewer that they have worthy onsite together to be our anchors. Again, it's somewhat shallow, but we don't have famous people to anchor broadcasts. Avery is our famous people. And- he's really likable. I think he'll loosen up after doing lots of shows.

If I have to choose who to have a beer with, it'd be Avery. I bet he's a fun guy to hang out with.

Alright so another tourney done, what's DGCR bellyaching about this time?

From a quick glance:

-production/commentary?
-Sarah Hokom is salty
-I saw BigSky passive aggressively complain that McBeth won again, again
-tucked in shirts

Am I missing anything?

Latest posts