• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

In how many threads are you going to complain about the internet complaining.

Meh, it's a learning process. I'm grateful that the coverage was there. Sure things could be different and everyone is always going to have something to improve on, but I think it's a step in the right direction. I'd love to see some full round/multi card coverage, as anyone would but like was said, 4-5 hours is a long ass time for a first time broadcast. Hopefully full round coverage will become a thing in the future for the DGWT. Maybe add a guest commentator, someone from a lower card that's already played the course to come in half way through? Or hell maybe even a well known local to step up.

Meh, it's a learning process. I'm grateful that the coverage was there. Sure things could be different and everyone is always going to have something to improve on, but I think it's a step in the right direction. I'd love to see some full round/multi card coverage, as anyone would but like was said, 4-5 hours is a long ass time for a first time broadcast. Hopefully full round coverage will become a thing in the future for the DGWT. Maybe add a guest commentator, someone from a lower card that's already played the course to come in half way through? Or hell maybe even a well known local to step up.

I was happy with it. It's disc golf coverage. Honestly, I'd much prefer an edited/commentary version of the round as opposed to 3-4 hour long "broadcasts." I haven't watched the Memorial completely because quite frankly, I don't have 3-4 hours a day to watch ONE video.

Avery and JT were good, but I think they have such a similar style of commentary that they need a color person to go with either Avery or Jamie. I think Terry/Avery would make a great combo.

I was happy with it. It's disc golf coverage. Honestly, I'd much prefer an edited/commentary version of the round as opposed to 3-4 hour long "broadcasts." I haven't watched the Memorial completely because quite frankly, I don't have 3-4 hours a day to watch ONE video.

Avery and JT were good, but I think they have such a similar style of commentary that they need a color person to go with either Avery or Jamie. I think Terry/Avery would make a great combo.

Agreed, I'd take edited video over live right now any day, as live commentary and video quality gets better though I might now mind it as much, I used to not watch any live stuff but this year I've watched the memorial, plus round 2 of the DGWT as it was live, I'm watching round 3 right now, I have a ton of down time at work usually so I might as well do something to stay awake.

I'd love to see Ian from CCDG do some commentary for the group, he's always got some good commentary.

But chose not to because the competition is not fair, and I have to say I agree. I can't really support the exclusion of women's division on DGWT.

How is it not fair? Are you saying women are not equal to men then? If you are going to make a stink about this then you better make a stink about every other open division not being there as well

But chose not to because the competition is not fair, and I have to say I agree. I can't really support the exclusion of women's division on DGWT.

You know what I've come to learn? Life's not fair.

No one was excluding anybody. Not by gender or age. This is about the best disc golfers period and paying them as such.

And sorry to burst your bubble but eventually gender separation will happen... at the top level anyway. Why would i say such a thing you ask? Cause eventually the amount of women will grow to the point where it no longer makes sense to hold mixed gender events.

My only complaint about the commentating by Avery/Jamie:
Avery referred to the Metrix too many times as if those were the goal of the tournament. "That's another green hit for McBeth." "Wysocki gets another checkmark his inside-the-circle putting."

By themselves, the Metrix mean nothing. They are merely a means to the end, which is throwing the fewest throws possible. IMO, they should really only be brought up in the context of explaining how someone reached his score for the round.
"McBeth has made every one of his inside-the-circle putts this round, but it's not showing on his score because he has 4 penalty strokes."
"Wysocki hasn't been hitting the green on his drives, but he shows you can still shoot a great round when you make up for that with some big outside-the-circle putts."
"When you hit the green 45% of the time and make all of your inside-the-circle putts, you're gonna have a great round, which is exactly what Nate Doss did today. Sprinkle in a couple of outside-the-circle putts and you have the hot round for the day."

I'd love to see Ian from CCDG do some commentary for the group, he's always got some good commentary.

On the way to the course, my friend and I touched on this exact issue. By no means hating on CCDG, they do awesome work behind the mic, but Ian and co do have the advantage of commentating after the fact, checking the tape, instead of doing it live, possibility of cutting out stuff, re-recording and editing (not sure if they do much of that or do they run it through in one take).

On the way to the course, my friend and I touched on this exact issue. By no means hating on CCDG, they do awesome work behind the mic, but Ian and co do have the advantage of commentating after the fact, checking the tape, instead of doing it live, possibility of cutting out stuff, re-recording and editing (not sure if they do much of that or do they run it through in one take).

Yup. I like CCDG, but I can't say if they'd be any good at doing 2-3 hour live broadcasts. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't, but doing it live and having to fill all the dead time while the group is walking is a lot different than narrating flight paths for a pre-edited video for 40 minutes.

I agree it's completely different, just seems like Ian has a knack for talking and broadcasting as to where a lot of others seem forced or uneasy. Live he may be awful.

My only complaint about the commentating by Avery/Jamie:
Avery referred to the Metrix too many times as if those were the goal of the tournament. "That's another green hit for McBeth." "Wysocki gets another checkmark his inside-the-circle putting."

By themselves, the Metrix mean nothing. They are merely a means to the end, which is throwing the fewest throws possible. IMO, they should really only be brought up in the context of explaining how someone reached his score for the round.
"McBeth has made every one of his inside-the-circle putts this round, but it's not showing on his score because he has 4 penalty strokes."
"Wysocki hasn't been hitting the green on his drives, but he shows you can still shoot a great round when you make up for that with some big outside-the-circle putts."
"When you hit the green 45% of the time and make all of your inside-the-circle putts, you're gonna have a great round, which is exactly what Nate Doss did today. Sprinkle in a couple of outside-the-circle putts and you have the hot round for the day."

Agreed on this point. This of course falls into the category of minor nit picking but the metrics mentions seemed overly forced when used in round like the"that's another green hit".

To me the metrics are awesome in recap situations to tell the story of the round (either after or up to this point).

No one was excluding anybody. Not by gender or age.
You're right about this and I wasn't contesting it in any way.

And sorry to burst your bubble but eventually gender separation will happen... at the top level anyway. Why would i say such a thing you ask? Cause eventually the amount of women will grow to the point where it no longer makes sense to hold mixed gender events.
Please don't put non-existing bubbles into my head. I know it would happen if disc golf would be at that point so far, but it's of course not the case yet.

I think this was definitely a good first step and learning experience for spintv in the live broadcasting department, as its shown with everyone else who has done it there is a learning curve.

Perhaps Jtacoma, you and Avery could try and settle on a style and set roles behind your commentary to provide a little more internal structure to your live commentary. A good example of this would be Goldberg and Rogan in the UFC. For the most part Rogan provides the technical commentary, and Goldberg provides the color commentary. Rogan (being Avery) would speak to strategy and the technical aspects of what is being executed on the course (primarily) and Goldberg primarily reacts to the current situations and provides background information about the fighters and context to what the viewer is seeing. They don't use it as a strict formula as each commentator has valuable insights in the other category as well, but it sets a loose structure behind what they are hoping to accomplish over the course of a broadcast which helps them feel more comfortable in their contributions in the moment.

I did enjoy your commentary still though. I think it was a good solid pairing, and perhaps coming into it with loosely defined roles may help. You may have even gone into it with that goal, and I would certainly not say that you weren't successful in it either. Keep on doing what you're doing. Anyone who puts their time/money/energy into furthering our sport is top notch in my book.

Have the women form a DGWWT Disc Golf Women's World Tour.

No one was excluding anybody. Not by gender or age. This is about the best disc golfers period and paying them as such.

Agreed 100% LPGA & PGA

Latest posts