• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Much respect for Catrina playing Open in the tourney. Side note, she does have a traveling partner that was going to be playing anyway and attending, so hotel lodging, trip fare, food, everything is split and makes it much easier than another pro female going it alone and not cashing. Just sayin.

I get that, definitely difficult to make that decision without the guarantee of cashing.

But that could be said for the majority of tournaments.

Also plenty of people who played in this event didn't cash either.

But from the feminist point, Catrina Allen already smashed the patriarchy by showing up and competing at, frankly, a very high level. That should really get more hype than Hokum questioning why there is no Women's Divisions.
I hope she encourages more women to do the same...go out there and kick butt in the boys club!

Agreed. If Catrina continues to play in tournaments like this while other female players sit out, I bet she'll gradually pull ahead of the other FPO players. After all, playing against good competition is one of the best ways to improve at anything.

Things will probably change before the next DGWT event, but if not, I'll bet more than one woman will compete.

In a way I agree with Hokum's stance.
But from the feminist point, Catrina Allen already smashed the patriarchy by showing up and competing at, frankly, a very high level. That should really get more hype than Hokum questioning why there is no Women's Divisions.

Pioneers like Gloria Stienem didnt demand special treatment...they took it by force by showing they belonged. Catrina did just that and as much BS as I've posted about her, my hat is off to her. I hope she encourages more women to do the same...go out there and kick butt in the boys club!

I understand that this comes from a positive sentiment, but I'm really suprised nobody has jumped on you for this. Because it's really ridiculous.

Catrina has shot some amazing rounds. Her problem is that she will just as often turn around and trop nearly 100 points off of her good rounds and shoot Intermediate/Low level Advanced the next one. If she was consistent, she'd be stunning.

I just started watching the round 3 live coverage, so I'm a little late Getting up to speed. I know the convos switched to the "open" division, but..

Seems to have had extremely high expectations but the execution was lacking this time around, I'm sure it will get better as more tournaments go on.

I'm only up to about 30 minutes in the day 3 live coverage, but, it's hard to watch. Did JT just say nice putt to Philo after missing a routine putt and taking a four. He says "Philo hitting a nice put". Lol, Philo was so pissed. What the hell was Jamie watching?

24:55 most awkward pause followed by the weirdest clip of Ricky Wysocki slow mo driving with his tongue all the way out. Rofl, I'm done.
Watching this live footage/infomercial makes me feel uncomfortable.

Did JT just say nice putt to Philo after missing a routine putt and taking a four. He says "Philo hitting a nice put". Lol, Philo was so pissed. What the hell was Jamie watching?

I saw that. Philo missed a (relatively) short putt and was upset. He slammed his disc into the basket on the next shot, and yes, I heard "Philo makes a nice putt." My first thought was the same as yours. My second thought is that maybe there was some wonderfully subtle sarcasm there. I hope so, anyway.

IMHO they'll get better over time. We've become used to Terry the Disc Golf Guy's smooth, practiced, experienced performances. I thought the coverage was not bad for a first tournament, and look forward to them being much better now that they have some experience under their belts...

Philo hit the basket dead center and it just bounced out. I believe that JT was still at the tee with the lead card and from there it must've looked like it was good.

Agreed. If Catrina continues to play in tournaments like this while other female players sit out, I bet she'll gradually pull ahead of the other FPO players. After all, playing against good competition is one of the best ways to improve at anything.

Things will probably change before the next DGWT event, but if not, I'll bet more than one woman will compete.

The next 3 events will be in Europe. Doubt many women will attend, unless they have other business there.

Some of you are relatively new to DG. If so, perhaps I could add a bit of perspective.
I started playing a bit less than 8 years ago. If I wanted to watch DG from the comfort of my home, I purchased or traded or borrowed a DVD. Clash DVD was the best thing available and it was just OK.
Very little Youtube, and the quality was usually laughable.

Fast Forward 8 years and I have live DG streaming into my house and so many YouTube channels that I can't keep up.
To be blunt, every video and coverage I've seen could be improved - no question.
Am I complaining? Heck no.
I appreciate Jamie and Jussi and Marty and Ian and all the other guys that are busting their humps to get us content.
I noticed the slip-ups and the dead spots and the ads and all that.
Still not complaining.
HUGE step forward.
Don't watch if you can't help criticizing everything. Or, watch and tell everyone how bad it was. Whatever.
As for me, and a lot of other people:
Thank you Jamie and Jussi and Avery and everyone else involved!
Keep working at it, keep getting better, keep the content coming.

The people we are used to seeing and hearing on broadcast sports shows commonly have been groomed for years before going live. College broadcasts, apprenticeships, local news. The material is also fed to them by a team of writers, statisticians, and fellow announcers.

Kudos to the SpinTV crew for jumping in head first. The Smashboxx crew reported having all of 4 people responsible for their entire Memorial production. Amazing what these groups have been able to produce so far in 2016.

Some of you are relatively new to DG. If so, perhaps I could add a bit of perspective.
I started playing a bit less than 8 years ago. If I wanted to watch DG from the comfort of my home, I purchased or traded or borrowed a DVD. Clash DVD was the best thing available and it was just OK.
Very little Youtube, and the quality was usually laughable.

Fast Forward 8 years and I have live DG streaming into my house and so many YouTube channels that I can't keep up.
To be blunt, every video and coverage I've seen could be improved - no question.
Am I complaining? Heck no.
I appreciate Jamie and Jussi and Marty and Ian and all the other guys that are busting their humps to get us content.
I noticed the slip-ups and the dead spots and the ads and all that.
Still not complaining.
HUGE step forward.
Don't watch if you can't help criticizing everything. Or, watch and tell everyone how bad it was. Whatever.
As for me, and a lot of other people:
Thank you Jamie and Jussi and Avery and everyone else involved!
Keep working at it, keep getting better, keep the content coming.

I'm in the same boat. Just glad I can watch some DG Live on Youtube. It's not perfect, but has come a long way and I really appreciate the efforts they all put forward to give us some coverage. I enjoyed the Memorial with Smashboxx TV a couple weeks back also.
The more they cover these events I think the smoother it will get.

I didn't know my dad had an account on here! He's been giving me ish for years about that :p

I try to enunciate well enough, I'll try harder I guess.

My dad used to be on me about that all the time, too. "Slow down! You're talking like you're in a race!"

Bah.

Personally, I can understand CCDG overlay commentary just fine. I much prefer it to whispered live coverage that is awkward and unplanned.

They almost definitely have the biggest budget by far, but have the worst results by far. Their aim is a "professional" feel. It's the opposite. Jussi thinks he can outsmart the system with stats, a couple interviews, lengthen a couple holes, and some hype, but these things don't replace coverage. I also think Jussi designed this tour for Lizotte to win/have a better chance, but of course Mc3stripes isn't worried about that. The process is evolving I hope. Just my opinions. Jussi can waste his company's money however he wants. Maybe he pulls some sponsors down the road. Good luck.

They almost definitely have the biggest budget by far, but have the worst results by far. Their aim is a "professional" feel. It's the opposite. Jussi thinks he can outsmart the system with stats, a couple interviews, lengthen a couple holes, and some hype, but these things don't replace coverage. I also think Jussi designed this tour for Lizotte to win/have a better chance, but of course Mc3stripes isn't worried about that. The process is evolving I hope. Just my opinions. Jussi can waste his company's money however he wants. Maybe he pulls some sponsors down the road. Good luck.

I'd love to hear your reasons as to why you think the tour is designed for lizotte.

The product on the live stream does not come off as well as I am betting the Tour would like. However, I went to the event on Saturday and the professionalism was on full display. Everything was well-organized and run like a high-end event. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the disc golf world didn't get to be there on the ground, so the product put out on the live stream is where the impression is created. In that regard, there is room to improve. But the knock that it is the opposite of professional is simply not true. (And I say this in my capacity as a reporter, which is why I was there covering the event.)

I also think Jussi designed this tour for Lizotte to win/have a better chance, but of course Mc3stripes isn't worried about that.

I found the commercial that every kings reign must come to an end pretty amusing. Isn't McBeth around 26 years old. Most pro sports consider that as entering your prime.

I'd love to hear your reasons as to why you think the tour is designed for lizotte.
It's only 3 rounds and the course was lengthened. Simons strength is distance although I'm not convinced McBeth can't go foot for foot with him at least in tournament play on golf lines. Less holes gives a hot round or two more of a chance against McBeth. If given time the cream will rise to the top. Limit the rounds and the results could be more random.

Great work for a first tourney under this new umbrella.

Disappointed to see despite all the great efforts that payout looked like well, something more like a dart tournament, horseshoes, etc..

This is why professional play is still dismal just not enough dough to go around...

Disappointed to see despite all the great efforts that payout looked like well, something more like a dart tournament, horseshoes, etc..

This is why professional play is still dismal just not enough dough to go around...
Jussi has said before he doesn't want to pay for McBeths new cars haha. That's another problem I have with his way of thought. He convinces the pros the grass will be greener so he doesn't have to have big payouts. I think quality coverage and pushing for as many pros to be financially stable would be more productive, but many do buy in to his ideas so it could work I suppose if he can convince sponsors.

Latest posts