• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discbeeper

Ha...nowhere near. If you don't count your labor, you could probably put one together at retail costs for around $8 or less. You won't find me doing it, however. lol

stole my idea

This is something that I've been thinking about for some time, but have done absolutely squat about. I think these guys tapped into my brain and stole my idea.
I have to admit, I'm the world's worst at finding my discs. I can, and often do, watch exactly where my disc lands and still end up spending 20 mins looking for it. There's a lot of deep rough and matted grass at my 'home course' that eats discs. I've thought that having a little beeper on my drivers espescially would help so much. You could just home in on that sucker. Even in deep grass or brush. I love the idea, but I admit 6g is kind of a lot, but it's not a deal breaker.
The 'prototype' I have in my head is like the little things that play music when you open a birthday card, really light, uses a battery and most importantly plays Freebird when you launch the disc. Freebird is non-negotiable.

If it is so easy why arent these professionals making 4g beepers instead of 6g?

Yeah, not going to answer that...you can figure it out, I'm sure. lol. Maybe what we should be asking is how they can justify the $29.95 price for - in bulk - what amounts to a few bucks' worth of parts. Pretty steep margin, even considering the volume.

I used to rack my brain for a solution to this problem. I also used to lose a lot more discs than I do now. Probably a function of a) becoming far more consistent and b) switching almost exclusively to very brightly colored discs. Anyway, the best thing I came up with is RFID tags. They are passive, externally powered, and could be put onto or molded into discs. Readers are pretty straightforward, and the cost could be justified pretty quickly. Someone already does it with golf balls: http://www.radargolf.com/ . Ultimately, I decided that the rules don't permit altering discs or taping anything on them, and the market would be small at best even without such restrictions. Not to mention that the people selling the product if it were approved are disc makers, and they stand to profit more by people who buy new discs losing that one that flies into the weeds/woods/lakes and replacing it with more new plastic.

I will definitely buy one as a specialty use product. For example, we're currently designing a new course, and so playing a lot of rounds on trails with thick underbrush and vegetation. There's also not much other traffic, so a lost disc is less likely to be found.

This is something that I've been thinking about for some time, but have done absolutely squat about. I think these guys tapped into my brain and stole my idea.
I have to admit, I'm the world's worst at finding my discs. I can, and often do, watch exactly where my disc lands and still end up spending 20 mins looking for it. There's a lot of deep rough and matted grass at my 'home course' that eats discs. I've thought that having a little beeper on my drivers espescially would help so much. You could just home in on that sucker. Even in deep grass or brush. I love the idea, but I admit 6g is kind of a lot, but it's not a deal breaker.
The 'prototype' I have in my head is like the little things that play music when you open a birthday card, really light, uses a battery and most importantly plays Freebird when you launch the disc. Freebird is non-negotiable.

Haha, I also had this thought a while back, greeting cards and all, and even looked into it but saw that someone already had a patent (probably these guys), so dropped it.

Where did this thirty dollar price point come from? Last I knew they hadn't announced what the cost will be. I don't think I'd pay that much but a rechargeable design is worth more.

For some people that weight matters. Me I don't notice it much on drivers with a few grams either way. Now once you get in that seven to ten range you easily notice it. I had a Meteor just like this guy wanted today for trade but it was 176 and not quite max weight. He turned it down over two grams. I laughed. I kept it.

Where did this thirty dollar price point come from? Last I knew they hadn't announced what the cost will be. I don't think I'd pay that much but a rechargeable design is worth more.

Price quote was in a comment from them on a pic on their facebook page. Definitely couldn't find anything on their web page except for those two videos.

For Those Concerned About Added Weight:

I did tape quarters onto 16 of my discs this evening and threw them all for about two and a half hours. Duct tape + quarter = 7.2 grams, give or take a tenth. I was very careful to try to center the weight exactly on the nipple, which was easy for most of the discs. Zero wind, and these were all discs that I know very well...a mix of slightly overstable, neutral and understable discs (mids, fairways, and 9/11/13 drivers - MVP, Lat64, Millenium, and Innova represented).

For the most part, they appeared to fly identically with or without the weight, except for a few yards of distance. There was a very, very slight difference in stability with a couple discs, but honestly it was so small that I had to question whether or not it was the extra weight in the center or just me. After a few warmup rounds, I threw the entire stack 18 or 19 times, with and without the weight added, until the dew made the grass too slippery. I was feeling good, throwing pretty consistently, and feel confident saying that I was able to give it a fair test in good conditions.

So there ya have it...one guy, one test, one opinion that says don't fret about 7+ grams attached to the middle of your disc, at least not in calm air. I won't be buying or using this beeper or anything similar, but if anyone wants to, I say don't worry one bit about the weight of it.

Let me add that I had a whole range of discs, weightwise. Most were from 167g to 172g, but also a 161, 159, 138, 136, 178, and 180. The two discs that I thought I was seeing changes in were, oddly enough, a 174 Axis (slightly less stable) and a 172 champ Leopard (slightly more stable...and the 171 star Leopard appeared unaffected). Those were not the ones I expected to notice a difference in. I thought the 159 star Roadrunner would become a burner, based on earlier comments in this thread, but it flew just as it always does. I hoped that the 168 champ Roadrunner would actually become less stable, but it flew just as it always does. It was fun to experiment.

Disc Beeper

I am the engineer behind the design for the disc beeper. I have let numerous people throw discs with and without the beeper attached. These mount exactly in the center of the disc and the weight is evenly distributed around the center of rotation. Most people honestly can not tell a difference. The people who do notice a difference state that it is very slight and it is about the same difference as there is between a disc of the same design that is 165 versus 171 grams. The idea is that you can attach it to a slightly lighter disc and after a few throws you are used to the flight characteristics.

I am the engineer behind the disc beeper and we can make a 4 gram beeper. The first prototypes were of this size, but the battery was not adequate enough to produce a loud enough sound to be usable and would only last for about half an hour. So the limiting factor is the battery technology at this point.

Any ETA on these? Photos and pricing would be great too, thanks!

They are in production right now. We will have a limited number available at this end of the month, most of which are already spoken for. The remainder of the shipment should land around the end of July. We do not have any injection molded beepers yet that we can take pictures of. If you have the latest Adobe Acrobat reader, you can play with the 3D drawing which shows the beeper attached to a disc and gives a really good idea of the look and size. http://beepdisc.com/Disc%20Assembly.PDF
A hand made prototype which is very close to the same size and exhibits the same features can be seen here:
2.jpg
. The beeper attach using some of the strongest adhesive on the planet and will hold up to repeated tree strikes as long as you use the primer pen and allow 72 hours to bond to the disc.

Thanks! For some reason I thought this was removable/swappable to different discs. What kind of cost are we looking at?

We have been experimenting with many different styles of removable fasteners and we hope to release a removable version soon. The challenge has been designing a robust fastener that does not add much if any additional weight. We have a prototype right now that we are testing that adds 1 gram of additional weight and is looking very promising. We are still establishing the distribution price breakdown, but we are looking at around a retail price of $20 and street price may be around $16. This includes the beeper with adhesive, primer pen, alcohol prep pad, and USB charging cable.

This idea came to Ed the third time he went into the brush. As it did for everyone else that's played.....lol.
Last year I helped install a sweet little 9 hole course at the Indiana School for the blind & Sight impaired.
Jacob, who spearheaded getting the course in, for his eagle scout badge I believe. Is giving a speech about dg for the blind at a national convention in Dallas, I believe its Dallas, soon.
He would like to get dg on every blind school campus that can have one, and get schools to start playing one another for a championship.
Obviously, this would be perfect for that. I'll get hold of him and let him contact you nasontackett.

Matthew that is a really cool idea! Yea, a lot of people I have talked to have had the same idea. I first had the idea back in 2009 after throwing and never finding a $20 disc. I knew exactly where it went but the grass was too tall to find it. After talking to people, I am by far not the first person to come up with the idea, I am just the first to design it so that it small enough to be usable and durable enough to stand up to water and tree strikes. Good luck to you guys. I hope there is plenty of interest. It would be great to open new doors to the blind!