• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Well; I am of the thought that the run up adds little in the snap/distance category in itself. Adds a little, but nothing major. I look at the x step more for getting my body rotated and wound, then also for the rythm, which those things combined from a result of an X step can help a lot.

I've been told the x-step really only adds about 40-50' to a throw. In the beginning it is a big step to a lot of people but in the end it doesn't add a lot comparatively to other motions. However it does assist/facilitate a few things. It adds a bit of snap/kinetic energy to add to snap, gets the body loaded (into a spring position necessary for creating a whip/snap action in all sports), and yes rhythm/timing. While it doesn't do much by itself its a great lead into the chain reaction of the throw.

I guess you could call my process discing up... starting disced down. Get FUNKAY!

I've been told the x-step really only adds about 40-50' to a throw. In the beginning it is a big step to a lot of people but in the end it doesn't add a lot comparatively to other motions. However it does assist/facilitate a few things. It adds a bit of snap/kinetic energy to add to snap, gets the body loaded (into a spring position necessary for creating a whip/snap action in all sports), and yes rhythm/timing. While it doesn't do much by itself its a great lead into the chain reaction of the throw.

I guess you could call my process discing up... starting disced down. Get FUNKAY!

Good point about the springing or coiling motion that the x could help with. At the same time, I would say that u have to work a little bit to control this dynamnic motion/process or u can risk overrating going back or coming forward. This then could lead to the dreaded OAT to creep in. It occurs to me now that maybe why I don't have a lot of OAT issues is because I haven't done x-step up until recently. Now, if I can just incorporate that extra motion with my throw without screwing up the progress? that I've made.

X-step con't

So I worked some more x-steps into the round today, and it just felt like I could generate MUCH more power that way. I was pretty happy with my basic throw with a one-step, but I felt I had hit a bit of a wall in distance. My thought was to just add the momentum gained from the x-step to the throw. Maybe this adding steps could be a corollary to the discing down process. Before u could add more steps, u would have to feel totally confident in your throw and therefore u would have a strong base to work from in the next phase. Have a lot of people here done this in addition to the discing down?

Its a big part of the Beato video people mention in almost every technique thread.

Discing down is no fun on long courses. Played Nockamixon today, and tried throwing putters the whole round. 800' holes through the woods with a putter and my arm wore my backside out. Finally threw the Fuse a few times to try and sneak out a little more distance. Made some decent throws with the Wizard, but that is too damn long a course for putter only rounds.

^^^ Hehe, probably. I played a 1000'+ hole in michigan with a roc... 5 shots though. Not bad for a horrid hole that a lot of people shot in 6 with drivers.

Its a big part of the Beato video people mention in almost every technique thread.

Exactly, dodge, have you done the beto drills? Doing that and the hammer pound the other day I threw my putters 270' from a standing position. Which got me a little hot. GGggggrrrrrrr... meow.

Talking about the x step here and somewhere else where they were talking about the pivot, step, hop; I reevaluated my slow walk through and I have adjusted. Seems like Im getting more rotation and Im feeling more muscles being used in the right side of my core over my legs (where I have been overrelying on for power. Should see me when I cant shift weight and push off that left foot, its terrible) or arms.

Exactly, dodge, have you done the beto drills? Doing that and the hammer pound the other day I threw my putters 270' from a standing position. Which got me a little hot. GGggggrrrrrrr... meow.

Yes, I have done the Beato drills. I guess that's where I got the idea to just start with a one-step shot. I only threw from a one-step for over a month until I was reasonably happy and confident with the throw. I still use just the one-step for most upshots and for any drive I need a controlled shot. Like I was saying before, I'm having to work back in the x-step, but I think working from a one-step for that long has provided somewhat of a good base to work from.

I have seen and done the hammer pound drills too. At this point I still prefer the 'Snap' videos from utube and feel he does an excellent job of explaining the concept. But at the very least, the hammer drills just reinforce that basic concept. At first I thought that Blake and the guy from those videos was the same dude, lol. Anybody have any idea who really developed the concept first?

I had an interesting observation this past week. The last three days of the USDGC I was spotting tee shots on hole 5, which is the longest hole on the course at 1053 feet. I saw every drive from every player. Most of the better players threw Mids of putters from the tee. The exceptions were the lefties and the guys who threw RH flicks. I did see Climo go OB with a TD on day three, and then throw a Roc about 375 feet. Most of them did throw a driver on their 2nd shot.

Dodge
CitySmasher's name is Bradley Walker I believe. He frequents DGR and developed the snap theory from some ideas that people had posted up there mixed with a few of his own. Blake knew the concepts as well and with Bradley's help developed the drills. The reason being that Blake has the kind of mind and sports background to do that kind of stuff really well (almost freakishly) and Bradley was able to figure out and explain the concept better but when he tried developing a way to teach them kinda missed the mark (developing this weird disc he cut up that had all kinds of angles and information written on it, not bad just odd).

Jack
Did those pros just throw the mids to get the position they wanted to be able to drive? I know shat placement is HUGE to a lot of pro's so I wouldn't be surprised if they started their drive using a mid then used a driver for their 2nd shot.

Well my game plan just changed.

Threw kind of crappy today, and thought I'd take a break from DG then come back at it with mids back in my bag. Then my friend John says to me as I'm closing up my round, "You got a partner for the Monster?" "Nope." "You do now."

End of the month I'm throwing the Monster it seems. I swear it feels like it's been longer than a year since the last one. For those that don't know the Monster Tournament consists of throwing holes like 1 long tee to hole 2's basket and fun things like that. Absolutely a TON of long, long drives. So many 500-900' holes, it's a blast.

So, rest of the month I'll go back to full bag. Going to compare Stalkers, Gazelles and Teebirds, as well as Orcs and Destroyers, to see if I feel like switching out molds, then it's going to be tons of distance throws in a field every day along with hitting Arboretum up early in the day so I can practice the Monster layout without bothering other players.

Compared to last year I'm much more accurate and have another 130' or so of distance on my drives, so it'll be interesting comparing how I threw in '09 to 2010.

At least playing putter rounds for the past 3 weeks I increased my confidence in throwing any kind of shot with them and stretched my distance out to 375' on a straight hyzer flip. Maybe I can throw a Buzz for 400' now.

Last edited:
Man I looked at the first few pages of this thread and had to stop reading. Some of you guys have way too many molds in your bags it makes me want to throw up. Learn how to make a disc do more than one thing.

Testy, testy. Lighten up. We can't all be as talented and brilliant as you and Climo.

I thought he was being sarcastic. "you carry way to many molds" seems odd when we're talking about throwing putters until your first born is out of college and THEN you can consider using mids.

Then "learn how to make a disc do more than one thing" made me laugh because by definition all discs do one thing... fly. Unless of course they're the wheel or the epic (aka, the retarded boomerang). Of course the obvious physics to this suggests everyone can immediately get a disc to do more than one thing. Sit there, fly, spin it like a top, wear it like a hat, dog bowl for thirsty pooches, flip it high in the air, play catch, block eyesight with the Amish... keeping lego knights entertained...

Man I looked at the first few pages of this thread and had to stop reading. Some of you guys have way too many molds in your bags it makes me want to throw up. Learn how to make a disc do more than one thing.

How does:

EX
EL
Nebula
Fuse
Starfire (FH only)
Ion

Sound to you? B/c that's what I throw 99% of the time now. Sometimes a Banshee/XXX and a Leopard/Monarch get play for meathook and flippy shots.

And it's all b/c of your damn DGR site. :p

discing down is the best thing i ever did for my game. It made me realize i didnt need my destroyer, x cal, boss, FB, wraith, surge. Instead i can now use 3 discs to cover all the shots i was previously using 6 for, Nuke, Force, and xXx. (Max D, Windy/Hyzer shots, utility and overhand shots)

I didnt even used to carry a slow driver, until i took all the fast ones out, threw a TB and a Leo in with some rocs and a putter or 3 and my game improved almost right away. I learned how to throw a flat straight shot without having to throw an "s" shot, I learned how to accurately throw a proper anny. My shots were being placed better off the tee and with longer approaches.

Anytime your form is crap, your power is too great or not enough, these discs let you know. But after your form comes along you start to realize how useful and versatile some of these slower drivers are because of the amount of shots they cover and how easily they do it by using different release angles and different amounts of power.

You start to realize you are only throwing your TB 10-20 ft shorter then your Orc or Beast, do you really need to carry the Orc/Beast with a bigger driver and a TB? Why not just carry the TB/Driver or Orc/Driver is it worth it to have a disc you only throw for a specific distance even if its only a 10 foot gap from your other 2 drivers?

Latest posts