• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

I live in Finland and my local store happened to have loads, I was planning to get some pink ones originally but they were bit transparent for my taste, figured the red ones might be tad easier to spot.

I agree with the above poster, they seem true to their numbers.

Yesterday I bought two 173g red new FD's.

I already bag a very old c-line FD and neo Essence, Essence has noticeably more and my old beat up c-line slightly more turn than these red FD's.

Teebirds with less fade could be pretty close

I would compare them to a Champion TL3, which is basically a Teebird with less fade.

I got the new FDs in. They are very straight with baby fade (for me) on the course. They hold anhyzer and start to pan out towards the end. They are less stable than the embossed C-Line FD I bought in 2019 and have tried to beat up.

This new FD absolutely sits between the Instinct and Essence. Great disc.

The wing is slightly different than the older C-Line (that I have thrown into trees, walls, ground, many times intentionally). It is not the wing of the Essence or Instinct.

New FD will beat into the disc I want.

Side note: the pink is a great color. I thought it was going to be too clear, but it's easy to spot on leaves on the fairway.

Both Crave and FD fly like a neutral Fairway with equal parts small turn and fade. FD is a faster disc with bulkier rim though. The FD measures in at 17.8mm, while Crave is at 17.1mm. FDs are usually more domey as well. The flatter profile of the Crave and its smaller rim makes it feel a good bit different in the hand.

Discmania US has restocked FDs. Red is back.

I'm pretty impressed how quickly they have managed to get large numbers of their product available.

I honestly thought things like the P2 and FD would sell out quickly and once again be pretty much unavailable.

Kudos to them for making sure there are plenty of discs for whoever wants them.

Did some fieldwork today with a new yellow FD.

Hype is justified, not sure I'll bag it. Threw it (173g) alongside a red 168g star Teebird and ~168g plasma Crave, dark green and light green. Slightly more US than the Teebird, but a great HW disc as long as it's not a quartering left to right HW. Will actively turn in a strong left to right HW (the Teebird did not with same angle and wind) but is usually more of a 'tease-turn' while holding the line in other wind conditions. Possibly more distance than that red Teebird, which is huge compliment, that thing bombs. Crave was faster to flip in the same HW as the FD.

For my arm speed, which is about 375-425', it's a killer disc.

I'll probably end up bagging it as 'least stable Teebird' for right to left sloping terrain on a BH--shape, feel, flight are everything I want in an 'every-down-and-distance' fairway driver.

Otoh, the overlap is enough to give me pause, I'd like to have as few discs as possible.

Your star teebird must be beat into a beautiful spot, my 167g s-tb is a meathook compared to my FD's. Although that works in my favor because I can use the TB as the stable slot and the FD as the straight slot. My distances with either the FD or TB are also about 100' shorter than you listed though so that is likely why I'm seeing a bigger difference between the 2 discs than you are.

Your star teebird must be beat into a beautiful spot, my 167g s-tb is a meathook compared to my FD's. Although that works in my favor because I can use the TB as the stable slot and the FD as the straight slot. My distances with either the FD or TB are also about 100' shorter than you listed though so that is likely why I'm seeing a bigger difference between the 2 discs than you are.

I should clarify, because you are right--the shape/stability difference is distinct. And I'm putting my Teebird out to about 360' on most full-sends (the 375-425 is generic arm speed). That red Teebird is the straightest of all my Teebirds, but still has that same stable Teebird DNA. If I get the nose or wrist angle wrong on release it will remind me.

The FD flew differently--my first throw, immediately after a nice throw of the Teebird, and thrown with the thought that 'this [the FD] is just another red Teebird'--was a great throw. It was smokin fast, laser straight through 200', whereupon it hinted at a turn, maybe drifted a couple of feet to the right, corrected, and finished with muted fade--closer to a mid than a driver. Overall a much straighter line.

If I routinely played at courses with more punishing narrow fairways that required that straight line, and more distance than a Hex, I would adopt it right now.

For now, the decision is based on the idea that my red Teebird can do what FD does at the courses I routinely play, and wind will be the issue far more often.

Your description of the FD is pretty good when you kind of compare it to a longer midrange.

That's kind of the role that the FD always filled for me.

When the ceiling is too low to get a mid there or the distance is just a little longer than I'm comfortable pushing a mid but I still want an overall pretty straight, glidey flight with a minimal finish and little ground play then that's where the FD shines in my game.

Lost my S FD last week. Don't even know how. Are these going to be made again soon?

I have a lime green one I'd be willing to let go for a reasonable price/trade. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

As to the Hawkeye/Dark Rebel, it's more US than the S-FDs I'm used to throwing.

I hear DM is still testing S-line plastic blends.

Latest posts