• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

the general rule is that for champion plastic all FD's are very similar in flight characteristics:

a glidey very easy to control and sneaky distance fairway driver.

but C-line (champ) runs are easily differentiated like so:

1st, 3rd, 4th run champ are very similar slightly domey and gummier less clear plastic. penned with FD

2nd run is the most different. very stiff flatter champion plastic with bubbles in the rim. very overstable (at first) overstable glidey teebird like flight. very expensive! even in lighter 160 weights still retained same flight characteristics. penned FD

5th run was the jolly launcher champ plastic very see through and more domey and a more glidey. beloved run Penned FD

6th and 7th run are jolly launcher champ plastic embossed with C-Line FD but a little flatter and faster.

there were some newer 6th and 7th runs in lower weight FD (150-160g) that had bubbles in the rim and tricked people into thinking they had expensive 2nd runs but you can tell they aren't 2nd run because less stiff and lower in weight or embossed.

even more expensive is color glow FD (nate perkins signature discs) which had a lot of glide and less stable (similar to 5th run flight).

I have no real idea of different runs of star FD. I do know they are great fairway discs too and people love them because of their glide/easy distance/straight flight.

This is making me think I have a bunch of 5th runs.... also I met and hung out with Nate Perkins right around the time he was releasing NS1. crazy to think about how at the time nobody really cared that much about the release and now they're so sought after

I have a Blue Jolly Launcher FD with the California to Colorado stamp on the front but it is embossed on the back. It is actually really domey which i prefer, maybe its an oddball of the 6th-7th Run i guess. Thanks for this info tho!

This is making me think I have a bunch of 5th runs.... also I met and hung out with Nate Perkins right around the time he was releasing NS1. crazy to think about how at the time nobody really cared that much about the release and now they're so sought after

Do 5th runs have a cloudy rim, not bubbles?

Do 5th runs have a cloudy rim, not bubbles?

From my experience third and fourth runs were domey, translucent, and had a bit of flex to the plastic. 5th runs were pretty much identical but the plastic was stiffer. 6th runs had the cloudy rims with no bubbles and flatter for a c fd. Not second run flat but noticeable flatter than runs 3-5. They were pretty much straight to fade out of the box also, fairly stable but not second run beefy.

^^ A little jelly of your NS1s, probably my favorite FD but I only have one so I don't throw it. Missed the boat on 2 and don't love the dome on 3.

I've never thrown the one but the NS2 is my favorite. I still kick myself for only buying 2 when they came out. I agree that the dome was too much on the 3, I just didn't like how they felt.

From my experience third and fourth runs were domey, translucent, and had a bit of flex to the plastic. 5th runs were pretty much identical but the plastic was stiffer. 6th runs had the cloudy rims with no bubbles and flatter for a c fd. Not second run flat but noticeable flatter than runs 3-5. They were pretty much straight to fade out of the box also, fairly stable but not second run beefy.

Then I have a couple 6th runs, I thought they were penned but I'll have to double check.

I saw a Foundation review the other night (only 6ish minutes)

the Hunter fellow raved about it...straight to his bag

different wing profile to the original
maybe a slightly more HSS flight, very straight

I saw a Foundation review the other night (only 6ish minutes)

the Hunter fellow raved about it...straight to his bag

different wing profile to the original
maybe a slightly more HSS flight, very straight

I've watched all the reviews from people who were sent discs by companies to test. I'm interested in regular players who bought it because they wanted to. :D

Especially to know if 1) there is significant variation between discs, and 2) if it holds turn at ~300-350' thrown relatively flat to very slight anny, plus 3) does it do anything the Essence can't do.

I have a later run c-line FD that won't turn and won't hold turn where both Essences do so marvelously. I don't want another one of those FDs.

I saw a buddy's Italian FD today and I can confirm, the wing is definitely differently shaped. It's more of a conventional concave wing as opposed to the very subtle S-shape of the original FD.

I saw a buddy's Italian FD today and I can confirm, the wing is definitely differently shaped. It's more of a conventional concave wing as opposed to the very subtle S-shape of the original FD.

I got some decent photos of the wing side by side with my 5th run (that is so beaten in it's my roller and huge turnover disc) attached. Doesn't seem all that different to me in the hand, other than the PLH difference, extra shoulder & dome, and nicks in the 5th run's rim. So definitely feels like a different run, but still feels like an FD in my hands. After a good photo and a quick trace of the wing in that image, it seems like the S-shape is minimal, if present at all.

How about the flight?

I have a sample size of 1 of these, but all the ones I held had similar dome and feel. I didn't compare PLH on a bunch of them or anything though, so all I can offer is my limited and subjective experience. It will definitely hold a sublte turn at 325-350' If thrown on slight anhyzer it'll hold it a long ways, gently flattening out and only really fading if given too much height/nose up. For me it's consistently moving right slowly for 75% of the flight before flattening out and fading back to center or just right of center (RHBH). It's actually the exact stability I always wanted a fresh FD to be, but most runs (with the exception of the late Innova C-line runs) didn't have the HSS I wanted them to have.

Attachments

• 7711E181-B07B-4EFC-8D00-1DE15CFC3884.jpg
    7711E181-B07B-4EFC-8D00-1DE15CFC3884.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 2A5A1E52-97D1-4C27-BA89-9AA921BD4E6E.jpeg
    2A5A1E52-97D1-4C27-BA89-9AA921BD4E6E.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DB18E050-EA40-464C-8626-9529EF188BB5.jpeg
    DB18E050-EA40-464C-8626-9529EF188BB5.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 32
I got some decent photos of the wing side by side with my 5th run (that is so beaten in it's my roller and huge turnover disc) attached. Doesn't seem all that different to me in the hand, other than the PLH difference, extra shoulder & dome, and nicks in the 5th run's rim. So definitely feels like a different run, but still feels like an FD in my hands. After a good photo and a quick trace of the wing in that image, it seems like the S-shape is minimal, if present at all.

I have a sample size of 1 of these, but all the ones I held had similar dome and feel. I didn't compare PLH on a bunch of them or anything though, so all I can offer is my limited and subjective experience. It will definitely hold a sublte turn at 325-350' If thrown on slight anhyzer it'll hold it a long ways, gently flattening out and only really fading if given too much height/nose up. For me it's consistently moving right slowly for 75% of the flight before flattening out and fading back to center or just right of center (RHBH). It's actually the exact stability I always wanted a fresh FD to be, but most runs (with the exception of the late Innova C-line runs) didn't have the HSS I wanted them to have.

Very helpful, thank you for investing the time! What weight? As you have described, it sounds similar to my heavier Essence.

I'd take even more thoughts on new FD flight vs an Essence.

Last edited:
Very helpful, thank you for investing the time! What weight? As you have described, it sounds similar to my heavier Essence.

I'd take even more thoughts on new FD flight vs an Essence.

The new FD is definitely more overstable than the Essence. To me it flies pretty true to the numbers and fits right in between the Instinct and Essence. The new FD flies really far, I'm enjoying it!

I agree with the above poster, they seem true to their numbers.

Yesterday I bought two 173g red new FD's.

I already bag a very old c-line FD and neo Essence, Essence has noticeably more and my old beat up c-line slightly more turn than these red FD's.

Teebirds with less fade could be pretty close

I agree with the above poster, they seem true to their numbers.

Yesterday I bought two 173g red new FD's.

I already bag a very old c-line FD and neo Essence, Essence has noticeably more and my old beat up c-line slightly more turn than these red FD's.

Teebirds with less fade could be pretty close

Where did you find red? Dang. I had red ones in my cart on release day and decided to wait.

Latest posts