• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

So I did a little reading and took a closer look at the crazy flat CFD to find the rim riddled with bubbles. Did I just luck into an old 2nd run that a store had lying around?

Yep, that's a 2nd run. It's also really stiff, right? It will fly pretty different than your 5th run.

So I did a little reading and took a closer look at the crazy flat CFD to find the rim riddled with bubbles. Did I just luck into an old 2nd run that a store had lying around?

YUp most likely a 2nd run. Most sought after and super badA$$

They're garbage. Send it to me to be disposed of. I know just what to do with it. :thmbup:

Here is the situation: I am a color snob for my main tournament bag. All my other bags, I do not care about colors as much, but in my main bag I want to coordinate. Of course that makes it quite the adventure to find a color scheme in the molds, weights, and flights that I want. For the most part I have a white bag. For me, white is the easiest to see on the ground, in the air, and to photograph in the air. Aside for winter, white is the best color.

Unfortunately I have Champion Thunderbirds and C-Line FDs that do not come in white. I know somewhere in some run they must exist, but I am stuck on the 5th Run FD because it plays perfectly between my mids and my TeeBirds. Since those two did not come in white, I gave a black Innova Air Force Thunderbird a try and it was pure money out of the box. I instantly picked up two more. It took a while, but I also found two smoke C-Line FDs. I have not had a chance to throw them, but I am assuming they are 5th Run or near it because they have the same PHL and dome.

Normally I shy away from Glow even though it would work with my color scheme. Most Glows I have had in the past live up to the stereotype that they are more stable than their normal counterparts. In fact, the Glow Champion Thunderbird I tried out seemed even more overstable because it was sluggish; lacking glide which accentuated its fade. I was resistant to give the FD Glow a chance, but I finally broke down and purchased two 175g Glow C-Line FDs from the Discmania store.

I am not looking for a rehash of old stereotypes. I want to know if anyone has actually thrown these yet and how they compare. I still have snow on the ground, so it may be a few more weeks before I can get out and give them a rip. Like my Smokes and all the other 5th Runs I have, these glow have the same PLH and dome, so I am expecting good things, but I am looking for real observations.

How do Glows fly? How do they fly in comparison to 5th Runs? I like where these are stable enough to not turn and burn, but if I need them to track right from a flat throw (rhbh), they are forgiving enough where I do not need to be perfectly concise in power and angle. I also like that if thrown with a hyzer, that they will hold it without flipping up too much, allowing them to track left without burning out due to a harsh fade.

Looks like a new run. Last years molded up more US vs the then current 4th runs.

Now I want one. Or 2.

So I'm looking for a little help/advice from the cult of the FD.

I have this C-line FD that is one of my favorite discs in my bag, it SEEMS pretty flat to me, and it is pretty much one of the only discs I can trust to FH comfortably and consistently.

If I wanted to get a couple more FDs like the one I own, am I going to have to pay crazy $$$ to get more of those old super flat FDs, or do I have a more common run one? Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• jackaltop.jpg
    jackaltop.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 46
  • jackalbottom.jpg
    jackalbottom.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
So I'm looking for a little help/advice from the cult of the FD.

I have this C-line FD that is one of my favorite discs in my bag, it SEEMS pretty flat to me, and it is pretty much one of the only discs I can trust to FH comfortably and consistently.

If I wanted to get a couple more FDs like the one I own, am I going to have to pay crazy $$$ to get more of those old super flat FDs, or do I have a more common run one? Here's a few pics.

Does it have lots of bubbles in the rim?

Does it have lots of bubbles in the rim?

I just held it up to the light, I see a bunch of SUPER tiny dots in there, those could be bubbles but I'm not confident enough that those are actually bubbles to proclaim that yes it does have them or no it does not have them either way

I just held it up to the light, I see a bunch of SUPER tiny dots in there, those could be bubbles but I'm not confident enough that those are actually bubbles to proclaim that yes it does have them or no it does not have them either way

if you're using what is [most likely] a 2nd run C-FD for things like sidearm shots, then you have the option of going with C-FD2's because you're correct: 2nd run C-FD's are expensive, and very expensive if you want max weight.

The 2nd option is to use a brinster teebird (you can find them at innova factory store or Disc Golf United store at $16.99).

Right now you can get $25-30 for 160's-170g 2nd runs, and $30-45 for max weight 2nd runs :( For me prohibitively expensive. Don't get me wrong, I have two (bagged one and a back up) but if I lose one or both (god please no) then I'd just go with something else. Its too expensive.

Eagle loves the FD2:

https://youtu.be/0WztAUZICYc?t=139

i understand that discmania made the FD2 to create a similar disc specifically to that 2nd run c-fd. It might not have as much glide out the box but it'll be very overstable.

Personally the 2nd run C-FD's remind me a lot of seasoned brinster teebirds (where they are very overstable but beat in only to lose low speed stability) meaning they get longer but still remain straight and have that reliable fade.

Anybody else throwing the P-FDs? I've got my 2 175g throwers into the sweet spot now and I gotta say. Its my favorite FD. It has greater distance potential than even my most beat C-line. I think it might kick PDs out of mg bag. It powers down really well too. Took it out for a 3 disc round and found I could still get relatively straight lines out of it at about 60% power(and no wind)... crazy thing is it went about as far, and on the same line, as my beat C-FD(170g) at full power(usual go-to for lasers), but of course; at 60% power: felt more controlled. No idea how long these will hold this stability. But they've stayed true now for a good hand full of impacts. One actually got a nick out of it on a long tailwind drive [about 30' further than I am used to an FD flying] into a tree 8' to the left of the chains. I hope other people are using these too. It'd be a shame if they didn't get a production run.

Anyone care to inform me on how to tell 2nd Run C-FDs from the rest? There's a lighter weight, flat, and pearly C-Line sitting at my local PIAS on sale for a decent price, and I was thinking about picking it up for anyone interested.

Anyone care to inform me on how to tell 2nd Run C-FDs from the rest? There's a lighter weight, flat, and pearly C-Line sitting at my local PIAS on sale for a decent price, and I was thinking about picking it up for anyone interested.
Flat is definitely one of the biggest indicators. 2nd runs are much flatter than any of their other FD brethren. Other indicators are very stiff plastic, somewhat pearly/cloudy, and bubbles in the rim.

I can't say I noticed any bubbles in the rim, but there was a bunch of pearly streaking. I also didn't look super close at it.

Thank you guys for the info.

I know two of those three criteria were satisfied. Not sure about the bubbles in the rim. What are they selling for nowadays so I can determine whether it's worth it to go back or not?

It might be difficult to see the bubbles without looking at the rim against light.

That sounds like a pearly third run :) Those are sought after as well! Jaime Thomas from SpinTV/Discmania loves that run!