• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

Almost like a baby PD with more glide. Great HSS with some LSS that will eventually go away, leaving you with an absolute lazer beam.

FDs should be domey. Basically all of them are domey except 2nd runs which are a great disc but not really like any other FD.

LOL

What would be a good pair for it? A G-line?

I you want the understable-semi-flippy cousin, go out and get an S-Line ( the D-Line is WAY More Undestable than the S ). The S turns over easily while the C-Line holds some nice, straight laser line with touch of fade at the end while fresh.

My longest throw on the course with an FD was with a S-Line, with a nice S-turn that went 320'.

I can get my C-Line out to 300' with fade at the end, it does handle all my noodle arm power I can give it on a smooth flat throw :D.

Now I will say that I bag neither one of these at the moment :p.

What do you guys think about the distance on FDs? I threw them for a while but can't remember how far I was tossing them at the time. With the Gazelle seemingly going OOP I thought about these as a possible replacement. I don't want it to infringe on my Thunderbird at all though. I know they are only a 7 speed but I also know they can go FAR. I play so much better when my decision process is limited to which stability of disc to use instead of adding the factor of two discs that can go similar distances. Is there enough of a gap between the FD and Thunderbird?

What do you guys think about the distance on FDs? I threw them for a while but can't remember how far I was tossing them at the time. With the Gazelle seemingly going OOP I thought about these as a possible replacement. I don't want it to infringe on my Thunderbird at all though. I know they are only a 7 speed but I also know they can go FAR. I play so much better when my decision process is limited to which stability of disc to use instead of adding the factor of two discs that can go similar distances. Is there enough of a gap between the FD and Thunderbird?

The FD is *long* compared to the TL and River, both of which are in its category. In fact, I'd call the River a speed 6 to 6.5, the TL a 7, and the FD a 7.5-8 in relative speeds. My FD is a C-Line, and it's still stable/understable, especially relative to the TL, so I don't see the FD being anything but a good compliment to the Thunderbird.

The FD is *long* compared to the TL and River, both of which are in its category. In fact, I'd call the River a speed 6 to 6.5, the TL a 7, and the FD a 7.5-8 in relative speeds. My FD is a C-Line, and it's still stable/understable, especially relative to the TL, so I don't see the FD being anything but a good compliment to the Thunderbird.

The River and FD share the same rim thickness of 1.8, so tell me how the River is as fast as a Cyclone/Gazelle/Cheetah.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

FD and River certainly compete for distance. River looks a little slower doing it at times maybe? But they're both fairways, no doubt.

As to the original question, a buddy kicked out PDs and jumps now from FDs to distance drivers. In the past, I've gone from FDs up to speed 11 drivers, so they might infringe on the Thunderbird distance-wise, but when you push them out that far they aren't as stable as a Thunderbird. They can work together, but it might take some experimentation.

Last edited:
I think you'd be fine bagging both, I have FD's and I also bag either PD's or Rivals depending on the day/course. I tend to use the FD's more like actual fairway drivers and rarely go 100% on them(minus my second runs). The PD's and Rivals get ripped on a lot harder because I'm not worried so much about wind/turning them over as much.

It gets messier when you factor in the second runs, but if you don't already have a bunch of them just stick with the thunderbirds

The River and FD share the same rim thickness of 1.8, so tell me how the River is as fast as a Cyclone/Gazelle/Cheetah.

I can't speak for the Cyclone/Gazelle/Cheetah, as I've never thrown a Cyclone, and only thrown borrowed Gazelles and Cheetahs once or twice; ergo, no real data to compare.

As to the River and FD (and TL), I can only state my personal experience. The TL comes out of the hand faster than the River and the TL goes farther than the River, but is more OS than the River, which has beaten into a really straight-flyer.

My C-Line FD comes out of my hand even faster than the TL and goes even farther. My C-Line FD is a bit more understable than my Star TLs, and they (and my Rivers) are in the same weight area (upper 160s).

So that is just what I know from my own play with all three discs. Maybe it's the specific discs, but the FD has length to it while the River is my favorite for accuracy in this range. The TL is the perfect middle, but the fade must be accounted for.

I do have to ask: what does it mean for a disc to come out of your hand faster? Thin rimmed discs like putters come out faster than anything else because they are easier to hold to 4:00. Does it mean "goes farther?"

@SD86 :| The word you're grasping for is "glide".

@cooter, you might want to look at the FD2 as more of a Gazelle replacement (if you're set on going the DM route) as it's definitely slower, more overstable, and has less glide than the FD. I dunno though, I've not thrown Gazelle's.

I suspect the FD might be a little too long to be an effective replacement, especially when you should be able to power your Thunderbirds down to that same level of distance with similar control.

Thunderbird FD is a great combo just like PD FD.

FD2 is more like a Banshee or really OS Teebird. Definitely not like any Gazelle I've thrown.

FD2 is more like a Banshee or really OS Teebird. Definitely not like any Gazelle I've thrown.
Thanks, Clard. Having not thrown the Gazelle I was totally shooting in the dark, but trying to be suggestive to the OP's og question!

Thanks, Clard. Having not thrown the Gazelle I was totally shooting in the dark, but trying to be suggestive to the OP's og question!

For sure!

The FD is long for a fairway, but (I know people say this about lots of discs) it powers down really well. Where I would have thrown something like a Gazelle I can stand still or just power down slightly on an FD for effectively the same lines. I don't think there is much overlap at all between the FD and Thunderbird (or PD). The Thunderbird is going to finish with more fade, be able to hit lower lines with more power, and take more power without really flipping. The FD needs a little more air under it, will flip with power (in a good way), will not fade out as much at the end.

I do have to ask: what does it mean for a disc to come out of your hand faster? Thin rimmed discs like putters come out faster than anything else because they are easier to hold to 4:00. Does it mean "goes farther?"

I just mean it "giddy-ups" and goes downrange faster, as opposed to a literal meaning of leaves contact with the skin of my hand faster. The TL just "zips" out of my hand when I throw it seemingly faster than the River does, IMHO. In reality, they're probably coming out the same. The TL does go further for me on full throws than the River does, all other conditions being equal.