• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

@SD86 :| The word you're grasping for is "glide".

Maybe. To me, "glide" is the action of the air to keep the disc up, especially when the energy of keeping a wing to the air and forward thrust is expended (i.e. speed). Rivers have great glide (as do many other Lat64 discs. The TL has less glide than the River, but more pure speed, IMHO. The FD advertises high glide, and I think it does have that, but it also has a bit more actual speed than the River.

At any rate, I know which one I reach for depending on the conditions for the shot I want to make, and other people's experiences may vary.

As to the original question, a buddy kicked out PDs and jumps now from FDs to distance drivers. In the past, I've gone from FDs up to speed 11 drivers, so they might infringe on the Thunderbird distance-wise, but when you push them out that far they aren't as stable as a Thunderbird. They can work together, but it might take some experimentation.

That's what I was worried about. When I threw them before I went straight from FDs to distance drivers. I need a noticeable differential between mids, "disc x" and Thunderbirds.

That's what I was worried about. When I threw them before I went straight from FDs to distance drivers. I need a noticeable differential between mids, "disc x" and Thunderbirds.
FWIW, I'm the one that onemilemore is talking about that dropped PDs from my bag in favor of FDs.

I mainly dropped the PDs because they were always in that *weird* zone that made me question whether I should be powering down on them or powering up on the FD. In the end, the FD proved to be much more versatile without giving up much distance at all on PDs. Like I said, FDs are sneaky long but they power down much better than the PDs. I've been really happy with the result because now I don't have to guess what to throw.

That said, I carry a 2nd run FD for those zero turn/reliable fade, PD-like shots, as well as a Sexton Firebird for heavy fade/utility shots. If I didn't have those discs, then I would most certainly be carrying a couple of overstable PDs in their place as a compliment to the stable/understable FDs.

FWIW, I'm the one that onemilemore is talking about that dropped PDs from my bag in favor of FDs.

I mainly dropped the PDs because they were always in that *weird* zone that made me question whether I should be powering down on them or powering up on the FD. In the end, the FD proved to be much more versatile without giving up much distance at all on PDs. Like I said, FDs are sneaky long but they power down much better than the PDs. I've been really happy with the result because now I don't have to guess what to throw.

That said, I carry a 2nd run FD for those zero turn/reliable fade, PD-like shots, as well as a Sexton Firebird for heavy fade/utility shots. If I didn't have those discs, then I would most certainly be carrying a couple of overstable PDs in their place as a compliment to the stable/understable FDs.

I've always felt like PDs were in a weird "zone" as well. Since 2nd run C FDs are $$ and/or hard to find, what else could work next to a neutral/stable FD?

Side note - this is why I wish they'd come out with an S FD2...

I'm actually thinking of maybe dropping the PD because of the 2nd run C-FD. I invested and have some backups of max weight 2nd run C-FD and they do overlap a lot with the PD.

I remember being in a similar situation when I bagged teebirds (especially with beefy 1st run Brinster teebirds) how brinsters overlapped a lot with my PD shots. Now its the same situation with the 2nd run FD and PD.

I've always felt like PDs were in a weird "zone" as well. Since 2nd run C FDs are $$ and/or hard to find, what else could work next to a neutral/stable FD?

2nd run C-FD are very similar [in flight] to beat in Brinster Teebirds. The newest run of Brinster Teebirds are actually a tick less overstable than 1st and 2nd runs so they might be your best bet. Initially they won't have the the same glide though.

shape wise brinster birds are domey and not as stiff to 2nd run FD, but flight wise pretty similar.

Completely agree.

I have a beat C-FD2 in my bag that's kinda getting to 2nd run FD status, but not really. S-FD2 would probably end up being a lot closer in flight and glide after being beaten in a bit.

2nd run C-FD are very similar [in flight] to beat in Brinster Teebirds. The newest run of Brinster Teebirds are actually a tick less overstable than 1st and 2nd runs so they might be your best bet. Initially they won't have the the same glide though.

Asking on here since we have a conversation going...but how do you tell which Brinster Teebirds are from the third run?

I'm considering picking one up to throw alongside my FD's for a few weeks and see how I do without a PD. And would a E* or Star Teebird fit in between?

This question is mostly directed at um...
I only carry two PDs for extreme wind situations. But as I've been learning my flex shots I'm noticing the 2nd run FD/ PD overlap. Currently I'm getting my 2nd run FDs out to an average of 290' , I maxed out at 319' with a 5ish mph tailwind yesterday. For further reference, I can consistently drive my Truths to 260', maxing at around 280'. I'm planning on discing down until I can consistently get that 2nd run flex shot out to 300'-310', when I start exploring higher speed drivers what might be some good molds to try at my power level? Consider I'm contemplating dropping PDs.

...when I start exploring higher speed drivers what might be some good molds to try at my power level? Consider I'm contemplating dropping PDs.
What type of PDs are you carrying now that you're using to compliment your FDs? What type of shots are you using the PDs for?

I'll start by first saying that making recommendations over the world wide interwebs is tough. People's playing styles and discs they carry are so personal, so what would work for me may just end up frustrating someone else, and vice versa. Second, I'm a BIG fan of the PD. I'll always be a fan of the PD and at some point I'll probably put them back in the bag (mostly because I'm hugely invested in them :p).

That said, I think the PD is a great distance driver to have in your bag and a good compliment to the FD. Throwing the PD really helped me develop my distance and my control. The issue with it in the end was that I was starting to push the distance of my FDs out more and more, but the PD wasn't really flying much further. To ME, it just made sense to sacrifice that little bit of distance to have the precise control of the FD.

If you want to go straight from the FD to a distance driver, I'd recommend something like a Tern. With your power, a Star or G* Tern might be perfect. It can then be powered down enough to fill that gap between the FD and max D. Ultimately though, I'd keep the PDs around. Like I said, they really did help my game a ton. Keep working on getting your FDs out further and further and from there you should see the distance in your PDs increase too. If/when you feel like the FD is flying relatively as far as the PD, then maybe it's time to think about dropping one of them. Otherwise, they're both fantastic compliments to one another and both should definitely have room to exist in your bag.

Um... I know you are asking Disc of Cheese, but here's what I've got next to my FD's (seems we have a similar question).

1st and 7th run C PD
a few overstable S PD's w/ pat #'s
one less overstable shield stamp S PD that flies more like a beefy Valkyrie
I also have a seasoned Champ Firebird and a newer MF Firebird for skip, overhand, and big headwinds

I don't treat the PD like a distance driver. I use it as a fairway driver next to my FD's. They get similar distances for me - maybe 350'-375' and 400' on a good day. The FD can edge out a PD for me, which isn't hard to imagine given enough height to work with. Though on golf lines, they are right there with each other.

Not to get caught up too much in flight numbers, but it feels odd throwing a speed 10 disc alongside a speed 7 disc as a pair. This is what has me considering some Teebirds next to my stable/neutral/understable FD's, along with a few Firebirds...then jump up to speed 12.

I had a stiff P-PD I liked for US distance. But it has completely been kicked out in favor of my P-FDs (which are my furthest flying discs to date, although yet unmeasured; I bought my measuring wheel last week) I'd been using a fairly OS S-line PD for headwind drives that finish or skip left (normally Id grab a 5th run FDs for flat release or 2nd run for flex). I also have a G-line that is more stable I haven't thrown in awhile, consigning the PDs to fieldwork seems like sage advice.

@FightingTheTide -

I mostly meant "distance driver" in the terms that the PD really is a fairway driver, but is also sneaky long; just as long (or longer) than say something like the closely related Starfire or Orc, which both have rim width's of 2.0 (compared to the 1.9 of the PD). I agree though that it's not really a true distance driver by standard definition.

I can see what you're saying about wanting to have something in the hand that 'feels' similar throughout the speed range you're throwing though. This is exactly why I'm a mold minimalist. I want my discs to feel the same, regardless of the shot being played. I never really gelled with Teebirds. I wanted to like them because everyone else did, but at the end of the day they never really felt right in my hand and I wasn't really a fan. That's where the 2nd run FD came in. It was right about that same time DM started producing them when I started to dabble in the FD and was fortunate to build up a little stack of backups. If I didn't have those, I'm sure I'd probably go with the PD over the Teebirds just for the bit of added controlled distance. Funny thing is the Teebird is a speed 7 with a 1.7 rim, the FD also a speed 7 but with a 1.8 rim, and the PD a speed 10 with a 1.9 rim. Go figure. :\

I dunno. Maybe the Rival as a more overstable compliment to the FD? It has the same 1.8 rim size as the FD, but couldn't tell you how it feels comparably. Paging rallyguy... :D

@ DoC -

I agree that the PDs could be relegated to fieldwork only roles. Also, definitely try getting your 3rd/4th and 5th run FDs out for distance. Unless I'm really flexing on my 2nd runs, my 3rd run is usually longer, as is the comparative nature of a less overstable disc.

I absolutely won't drop the Thunderbird. It's just too damn good. Maybe I'll try using the G-line FD as a Gazelle"ish" type disc that I can power down for those tight woods shots. Also maybe throw an S-line in the mix. It seems like with what you've been saying the C-line will definitely infringe on the Thunderbird.

I absolutely won't drop the Thunderbird. It's just too damn good. Maybe I'll try using the G-line FD as a Gazelle"ish" type disc that I can power down for those tight woods shots. Also maybe throw an S-line in the mix. It seems like with what you've been saying the C-line will definitely infringe on the Thunderbird.

The 5th run C-line deserves a shot. Try one out, and I think you'll see that it doesn't excels in different areas than a Thunderbird. Definitely less HSS, less LSS, and will work on different lines. To me there just isn't much overlap unless you are talking 2nd run FD.

@ DoC -

I agree that the PDs could be relegated to fieldwork only roles. Also, definitely try getting your 3rd/4th and 5th run FDs out for distance. Unless I'm really flexing on my 2nd runs, my 3rd run is usually longer, as is the comparative nature of a less overstable disc.

Took the G-PDs out to the field today, a 167g and 165g I think. Similar weights to my 2nd run FDs. [for context: Through the winter I have mostly thrown my midranges and putters. In the field especially. Last season I didn't have the control to anhyzer hard enough for a real flex with anything but a rhyno. Just started learning this shot in the last month while it's warmed up a bit.] THEY ARE WAY MORE FUN TO THROW NOW THAN THEY ONCE WERE! I was seeing exactly what you'd described when throwing flexes at my bag. The 2nd run FDs would lay up right near the bag, usually just short of it. The G-PDs overshoot the bag by about ten feet and a little to the right. I might switch the S out of the bag for the G.

And yeah, I field work my workhorse FDs too. Usually I try to pick a theme for each field session: neutral(stable), or extreme(OS and US), maybe a well rounded putter, mid or fairway/driver setup. I've just been excited about flexes the last couple sessions. I have yet to measure my longer drives with my neutral and under stable drivers, but I am thinking about the coming season.

That's just the 2nd run C-line. The other runs are more true to the flight ratings.

How are some of you guys using pds as a distance driver? I have a cline pd and it's a total meathook. For reference I have 340ish ft of power.