• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

I believe mine are sixth run. Bought last year at this time. Newest run from discmania at the time. Blue c line max weight.

I lost one of my saints. So with the intent to always carry two of the same disc assuming it isn't a utility disc. I took the one saint out and put in two fd's.

Surprised at how stable they are. As in not flippy like my saints were starting to become after a year in the bag. Not near the distance as my saints but perhaps more controllable.

I can notice the max weight on these for some reason. Usually not the case for stable to understable fairway drivers. The rim on these feel inviting they have a soft edge.

An afterthought- I need to work these out with my light 167 gram longbowmans to compare. Still thinking the light lbs will still be a hair more stable.

Got out and threw the 166 C-FD that I grabbed. Very surprised by the flight. I expected it to be more overstable than it was but am happy that it was not. My back and shoulder are a little messed up right now so my form wasnt anywhere near normal for me but I was getting some good turn with a soft anhyzer hold and predictable finish. Definitely going to keep it in the bag for a while to test it under more conditions but for now Im liking it.

I read somewhere that the current run of SFD are flat and less hss. Can anyone verify? I love my domey one, might be my favourite disc

I read somewhere that the current run of SFD are flat and less hss. Can anyone verify? I love my domey one, might be my favourite disc

They are indeed flatter, I felt up a bunch last weekend and they were great. Like the 2nd runs in profile, but in a nice dense medium flex star plastic. If they would've had more than just blues, I would've bought a few.

As far as flatness goes, I like the sixth runs. I've seen some listed for sale in the 160s, the only ones I've seen in person were all max weight. I've been throwing the 175s but would like a couple lighter ones.

Has anyone thrown the new ones? How does the stability compare?

How far back do the 6th runs go? I picked mine up last winter from marshal street, but I'm not that familiar with the different runs.

I don't exactly remember but I think timeframe matches up. Fifth runs came out about 2 years ago and are stiff and fairly domey. Sixth runs are flatter and still on the stiffer side. Third and fourth runs are domey like fifth runs but have more give to them.

Out in an open field I can get them out a little longer than 350 on a very shallow forehand hyzer. Pretty much locks into flat from a baby hyzer and just rides straight. I throw a c cd2 on that type of line with more power and the cd2 fades out a bit harder when it's done, but not by a ton.

I recently lost an old 10x kc pro eagle that was nice and beat. It would hardly ever come out of an anny or turnover on a neutral release. I like to throw the same mold for different shots. It just takes to long to beat in a star eagle or champ eagle. I wondering if I could replace eagles with an assortment of FD's and FD2's. Any eagle to FD converts out there?

I've tossed S-FD's around occasionally over the last few years, but I finally put one in the bag and it's been getting a lot of use. I'm just wondering...does any else think these fly pretty slow for a fairway driver of this rim width?

They are pretty decent speed 7-8ish width, but have a very blunt nose with a convex underside. Say on a 350' throw with the FD vs. a Teebird, I feel like the FD noticeably is going slower at the end of the flight and hits the ground much softer.

In reality this is kind of nice, since I still get the same distance out of the FD as any other glidey fairway, and it means that if it is fading a touch there won't be an unexpected skip or anything. But I always feel like there's an optical illusion when I throw it, that it just floats so slowly like a putter or mid or something.

I've tossed S-FD's around occasionally over the last few years, but I finally put one in the bag and it's been getting a lot of use. I'm just wondering...does any else think these fly pretty slow for a fairway driver of this rim width?

They are pretty decent speed 7-8ish width, but have a very blunt nose with a convex underside. Say on a 350' throw with the FD vs. a Teebird, I feel like the FD noticeably is going slower at the end of the flight and hits the ground much softer.

In reality this is kind of nice, since I still get the same distance out of the FD as any other glidey fairway, and it means that if it is fading a touch there won't be an unexpected skip or anything. But I always feel like there's an optical illusion when I throw it, that it just floats so slowly like a putter or mid or something.

I thought speed 7 was correct, they just go crazy far and straight.

I agree, the blunt nose seems to generate a lot of drag that slows down the disc quite significantly compared to a mold like the Teebird. But on the other hand the blunt nose and the sloped dome seems to create a lot of lift / glide that keeps the FD in the air for what seems like forever. Great disc tho, it's the mold that has been the longest in my bag

Does the C-Line FD compliment the G-Line FD or are they too similar? Would I be better off going Champ Teebird and G-Line FD if I were to only carry two fairway drivers?

Does the C-Line FD compliment the G-Line FD or are they too similar? Would I be better off going Champ Teebird and G-Line FD if I were to only carry two fairway drivers?

Depends on your power and how much wind resistance you want. The C-FD will have hints of turn and more fade than G for sure, and handle breezes for most people. A Champ Teebird typically will have no turn, even in differing winds, and a much earlier fade. The C-FD should be a lot longer for most people. Of course there are mellower or worked in Champ Teebirds, but I often think of them as quite stable-overstable.

If you want a step up from G-FD then the C is the choice, if you want a power fairway that is going to be stable no matter what then look into Champ Teebird. You can also do something like a Gstar Teebird for a pretty guaranteed straight to fade shot that doesn't soak up as much power as the Champ and goes farther. I don't think you'd like a champ Teebird (a beefy one) for all around use unless you are throwing the FD 340-360' pretty easily, they need some power to get distance. If you are throwing it <300' then they are almost like a mini Firebird or mini FD3.

You can also look at Champ Thunderbird, they get more distance than a beefy Teebird and are a guaranteed left finish for placement shots. I think this is a better pairing with the FD, since the FD is so long and a beefy Teebird is shorter for most power levels.

Last edited:
Just to summarize (in order of least stable to most stable, and easiest distance to most power required roughly) from my experience:
C-FD - Straight-ish HSS/hint of turning and drift, left finish but not harsh. I don't know runs and all that junk with C-FD's.
Gstar Teebird - Straight HSS, left fade, good glide still, holds straight shots or sweeping hyzers
Champ Thunderbird - Straight HSS, faster and more wind resistant than Gstar Teebird, more sweeping fade than Gstar Teebird
Champ Teebird (beefy version) - Very HSS...nearly +0 stability, tolerates wind even though "slow" disc, firm fade (but less glide/sweep than Thunderbird)

I have not thrown a G-FD, but all video I have seen and what people say is they are less stable than S-FD. I notice a difference from S to C FD in stability still, where C-FD is closer to a Gstar Teebird but not quite there.

I would say the plaz volt can do everything all runs of tb can do. And a fizz for lasers. Done deal, not worrying about "which runs".

I think everything SlowPlastic said is great info.

I picked up two C-FDs as I wanted something between a Teebird and a River which are my two main drivers. I'm trying to keep a minimal bag and a 167g C-FD simply took that spot and actually booted the river from my current bag. Now I'm only carrying 6 discs and nothing faster than 7 so I could see wanting to experiment with the G and S and C lines but I get a bit more turn with the same C line fade out of the 167g vs the 175g. Could try a bit lighter weight just to see if it makes a difference.

I do think it fit right where I wanted though between a MF teebird and beat recycled River.

I love the s line. It's my workhorse. So much hss but it's just stable not OS. It doesn't like to turn, but the fade doesn't come in too early.
Great for annys.
Also holds a hyser really well, good for long sweepers. It's definitely the most versatile disc in my bag.
I haven't thrown a c line and I'm very curious how different they really are from s lines. I should pick one up next time I can justify an order

I'm really liking my FDs. I've field tested FDs in the past but never really gave them a fair chance to make my bag. I've cycled Champion Teebirds for years. I love my beat Teebirds but they take forever to get to that slot. I recently lost a beat up Champion Teebird during a doubles tournament in a pond. I realized I only had a few beat up backups. So I bought a (most recent run) C-Line FD after the tourney from the vendor. It's not exactly the same but it's close to a beat up Teebird. I like that I can throw it over water & not be afraid to lose it. I can just throw in a new C-FD & be back in business. I also have an S-Line in the bag. It has more turn brand new than my C-Line. The S-FD kicked the Leopard3 out of my bag. I'm sure I'll like it even more once it's seasoned. So right now I'm rocking with two Champion Teebirds, a C-FD & a S-FD. I'm really enjoying it so far. I've already bought some backups.

Latest posts