• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

^I really agree with what you're saying. The FD isn't the exact same as a worked in Teebird, where the beat Teebird is like a -0/1.5 type of flight and I feel like they can go as far as you can throw. The FD will have a very mild turn and mild fade...you can throw it flat-ish for a slightly wider drift but very very straight tunnel shot overall, or make it do mild hyzers. Or hold annies even better. It's almost the same as a beat Teebird, close enough in practice that I'm very happy with it. And not finicky either, which is most impressive to me.

The S-FD kicked the Leopard3 out of my bag. I'm sure I'll like it even more once it's seasoned. So right now I'm rocking with two Champion Teebirds, a C-FD & a S-FD. I'm really enjoying it so far.

How did you find the difference between the Leo3 and FD? Last star Leo I tried, can't remember if it was a 3 or normal, was basically as stable as an S-FD but actually carried more speed. It surprised me. I threw a mild hyzer release and it never got to flat, and it hit the ground with enough speed to skip another 20' and end up 340-350 on that sweeping line. In comparison the FD doesn't do much when it hits the ground for me, it's almost like a long fast midrange flight. The Leo was way more stable and faster than I expected, even though the rim felt noticeably narrower than the FD.

How did you find the difference between the Leo3 and FD? Last star Leo I tried, can't remember if it was a 3 or normal, was basically as stable as an S-FD but actually carried more speed. It surprised me. I threw a mild hyzer release and it never got to flat, and it hit the ground with enough speed to skip another 20' and end up 340-350 on that sweeping line. In comparison the FD doesn't do much when it hits the ground for me, it's almost like a long fast midrange flight. The Leo was way more stable and faster than I expected, even though the rim felt noticeably narrower than the FD.
If I compare a new Champion Leopard3 to a C-FD, the FD has more fade at the end of the flight. If I throw the FD flat it will turn but always has some fade at the end of it's flight. When thrown flat after the Leopard3 starts to turn it has noticeably less fade (if any) before it hits the ground. I'm talking about shots thrown in an open field with power, not powered down in the woods shots. I also trust my C-FD to have more fade when thrown on a decent amount of hyzer when thrown with power. I was never 100% sure the Leopard3 would fade out if I hyzer flipped it throwing at 80% (especially when there was wind). Before the Leopard3 came out I carried a Star Leopard in my bag to compliment my Teebirds. I'm most familiar with PFN Star Leopards & the runs right after that had flight numbers. So newer Star Leopards may fly differently. I know they were hyzer flip to turnover machines after only a few months of use. So I rarely used them outside of the woods. So in my experience Leopard3s fly straighter before they want to turn, compared to a Leopard. I get more turn out of my S-Line FD than my C-Line. It could just be the individual discs or the run they're from. So right now my S-FD is close to a Leopard3. After it beats in I'm sure it will be money. Sorry for the long post.

Yeah your experience with the S/C-FD's is similar to what I have seen. And I've definitely thrown some champ Leo3's in the past and old champ Leo's that turned slowly and held it very well. Must have been that this star Leo was pretty new, I was very surprised with how much stability it had. It was still a great fairway driver, just didn't turn over and hold it like I expected.

So I picked up a G FD the other day and was able to get a couple of field throws in yesterday. To my surprise, I was able to add it to the short list of premium plastic discs that I have seen some consistent turn out of when fresh and >169g. Furthermore, I will say that I got more of an S-shaped flight than a GStar Leopard I used to bag, which flew incredibly straight with little fade. The FD on the other hand flipped up from a slight hyzer and faded slightly more - I would call the leo 6/5/0/.5 and the FD 7.5/6/-1/1.5.

I'm thinking now of bagging the following fairway driver setup:

FAF FB / C FD3 / seasoned star teebird / G FD / underworld

The biggest gap in stability for my arm would be between the teeb and the FD. I get a very true 7/5/0/2 flight out of the teeb at this point - I am thinking of either throwing my star TL in the mix between the teeb and the FD, or alternatively bagging fairways like this:

FAF FB / C FD3 / 2nd run C FD / some kind of C or S FD / G FD / D FD

I imagine the above and get a warm, fuzzy, mold minimalization feeling. I would however not attempt to seek out a mythical 2nd run C FD, but rather just throw my star teeb in that slot and save $$.

My questions for you FD throwers is this - if I were to seek an FD to fit the gap between my very stable/OS teebird and my nice, flippy-out-of-the-box G FD, what would I look for? S line or C line?

Yeah S or C should definitely work...how far do you throw the G-FD and how far do you throw the Teebird? Do you want like a -0.5/1.5 type of flight I'd guess? Generally C-FD's are more stable than S in every one I've tried, I don't know run numbers and all that junk.

Yeah I figure I'm throwing both around 300 with the teeb and FD on different lines, probably a little father with the FD than the teeb.

I'm considering just grabbing like a max weight C FD, dropping the star teeb and being done with it, considering I already bag an FD3 which is actually workable on a backhand line. Outside of the flat 2nd runs, if I were to look for the most stable/OS C FD off the shelf today, what am I looking for? PLH obviously, but domey or flat, colors etc.

My questions for you FD throwers is this - if I were to seek an FD to fit the gap between my very stable/OS teebird and my nice, flippy-out-of-the-box G FD, what would I look for? S line or C line?

G* teebird, C-FD fly differently but will fill that slot. I don't care for G* durability and moved to Rivals over teebirds. Bagging an Icon Rival for OS, Pinnacle Rival for S/OS and an S-FD for S/US. I was surprised that Pinnacle was less OS than the Icon, though I have a small sample size.

Would probably still bag E* teebirds for that slot if they weren't going OOP.

And on the subject of FD's........is anyone seeing S-lines showing up in shops? There aren't any in my neck of the woods.

Yeah I figure I'm throwing both around 300 with the teeb and FD on different lines, probably a little father with the FD than the teeb.

I'm considering just grabbing like a max weight C FD, dropping the star teeb and being done with it, considering I already bag an FD3 which is actually workable on a backhand line. Outside of the flat 2nd runs, if I were to look for the most stable/OS C FD off the shelf today, what am I looking for? PLH obviously, but domey or flat, colors etc.

If you're looking to encroach on the 0/2 Teebird then I'd look at C-FD or even champ TL. I don't know what to look for other than PLH, but I would expect the TL to be more stable. Don't expect as much wind fighting as a Teebird, but both of those discs are wind tolerant...they will just turn a little more and more depending on wind rather than flipping into oblivion at any wind.

And on the subject of FD's........is anyone seeing S-lines showing up in shops? There aren't any in my neck of the woods.

I noticed that they're hard to come by lately. I've been looking for the next S-line to add to my cycle. I currently have a beat S-line FD and one that is about to be what I'd consider seasoned. Need that freshie as a backup and field work disc. I was starting to worry, but with a disc this popular I'm holding out hope for some restocks soon.

I noticed that they're hard to come by lately. I've been looking for the next S-line to add to my cycle. I currently have a beat S-line FD and one that is about to be what I'd consider seasoned. Need that freshie as a backup and field work disc. I was starting to worry, but with a disc this popular I'm holding out hope for some restocks soon.

You might try a Star TL as a substitute for your "fresh" FD until some more FDs become available.

I just order a beauty from directly from Discmania

I bought an S-Line FD in my local shop (MI) within the last month or two. That same one had been in stock for several months, though.

I just order a beauty from directly from Discmania

Not really interested in paying a $5 premium, though I appreciate their commitment to their retailers. Last I looked they had a couple of 175g in white or something, next weight was in the 150s.

Found a new x-out about a month ago at 170g that is less domey, which I prefer. It will work as a backup until I can feel some more up at a shop.

Anywho, I'm getting a flick hyzer flip dialed in with my slightly beat S-FD. Consistently getting them past 300 ft on a rope. I may have to come to terms with a primarily FH game.

How does the G Line in the FD Jackal perform?

At one time I was looking at the River or the FD as a straight flying fairway that would be 'less likely to turn over' than my Leopards. Now it seems like the G Line FD is the plastic that's readily available in many weights.

Thanks!

TripleB

In limited experience the G-Line FD was considerably more understable compared with domey S-Line FDs. The G-FD did not appeal to me so I did not work with it much. S-FDs, on the other hand, have been a staple of my bag for years.

I will be interested to hear if others have had a different experience with the G-Line FD.

How does the G Line in the FD Jackal perform?

At one time I was looking at the River or the FD as a straight flying fairway that would be 'less likely to turn over' than my Leopards. Now it seems like the G Line FD is the plastic that's readily available in many weights.

Thanks!

TripleB

I haven't tried a G-FD, but I find my S-FDs are understable enough. If you want a disc less likely to turn over than a Leopard, give the C-Line FD a shot. I've got a couple of Factory Second C-FDs and they're not more stable than my S-FDs were when fresh and new.

I haven't tried a G-FD, but I find my S-FDs are understable enough. If you want a disc less likely to turn over than a Leopard, give the C-Line FD a shot.

Yea, the only plastics I see available from the couple places I checked were: D Line, G Line, and then the S Line X Outs as well as the C Line X Outs.

Thanks for all the input...hadn't even considered the FD until someone mentioned it in a post for the River.

TripleB

I like the G FD as an understable complement to the S FD. They are different enough that there isn't really overlap. I suspect that for bigger arms the G FD may be too understable to be very useful.

Latest posts