• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

Triflusal said:
Leopard said:
Triflusal said:
jubuttib said:
There hasn't really been a speed 7-8 understable control driver, this could fill the slot.

EDIT: Well, maybe the River...
TL, EL, XL, XS...
all a tick or two more stable than the Leo/RR
I was assuming he was saying a control driver as understable as the river, which in my experience (I have throw three different opto rivers) are about the same as a TL, except less predictable

The best river I've thrown to date was nothing like a TL (although I've thrown several that are similar). It had the same turn as a leopard, possibly a little less fade, though really similar, and just blew the socks off of a leopards glide, all while being faster. This one in particular was a slightly lighter river, 172, if I recall. All of the others that I've thrown (close to max weight) were TLish.

I may have to get my hands on some lighter rivers now...

almost all the rivers I've thrown (which have all be 169+) have been more stable than I expected them to be. Great disc just not quite the understable EX compliment I was looking for.

maybe it is a buzz on steriods. Oh wait wrong company.

A faster cheetah would be cool.

You almost have to break driver into 3 levels anymore fairway, distance and warp speed.

Fightingthetide said:
Leopard said:
Triflusal said:
jubuttib said:
There hasn't really been a speed 7-8 understable control driver, this could fill the slot.

EDIT: Well, maybe the River...
TL, EL, XL, XS...
all a tick or two more stable than the Leo/RR

True, but a seasoned TL does what you tell it to.

Me: TL, turn right.

TL: Okay!

See what I mean?
Well if you're going that way, any speed 7-8 disc will fit if you beat it enough. =P Though I did completely forget about the XL.

money 21 said:
maybe it is a buzz on steriods. Oh wait wrong company.

A faster cheetah would be cool.

You almost have to break driver into 3 levels anymore fairway, distance and warp speed.

I go with these -

Fairway
Control
Bomber

I don't think of control drivers as any particular speed range, they're basically any driver that's easy to control on different shots and isn't too touchy (wind, OAT etc.), nor a meathook. TeeBird, Eagle, most premium Leopards I've thrown (surprisingly stable), VIP King, Quasar, good premium DD's, PD's, Avenger, OLF, JLS, all of those certainly qualify.

jubuttib said:
I don't think of control drivers as any particular speed range, they're basically any driver that's easy to control on different shots and isn't too touchy (wind, OAT etc.), nor a meathook. TeeBird, Eagle, most premium Leopards I've thrown (surprisingly stable), VIP King, Quasar, good premium DD's, PD's, Avenger, OLF, JLS, all of those certainly qualify.

Pls elaborate. Aren't the ones I've bolded generally thought of as warp speed drivers? I'm surprised that you list those two as "easy to control on different shots and isn't too touchy (wind, OAT etc.)".

I'm not contradicting you (since I haven't thrown either) but it just goes against what I would assume from 13-14 speed maximum rim width drivers.

Thread derail warning!

About the FD I hope it takes a role of controlled straight shots at reasonable power to controlled turnover shots with more power. That's a slot I'd have use for.

The Quasar I have pretty much flies like a speed 13 OLF or a slightly beat speed 13 PD, and works in windy conditions too. It's easier to throw than the DD2 for example, I need to hit that pretty nicely if I want to get it to go anywhere, it really doesn't take well to powering down. The Quasar really is the first warp speed control driver I've ever seen.

VIP King on the other hand flies very neutrally for me, I can get it to go left, straight or right. I can power down on it without it becoming a meathook. It wasn't bad in the wind either, though nothing like the Quasar. It's less of a max D driver for me (though it is long) because it's so easy to control, both fade and turn are very subdued. It isn't a warp speeder either, about halfway between Wraith and Destroyer.

Can't wait for this disc been trying to fill the gap between Buzzz and PD for almost a year now. In my mind I'm picturing the Jackal as slightly faster Leo. Never thrown a River I've heard they throw a lot like faster Champ Leo. I think this is going to be Innova's/Discmania's version of the Stalker but just a lil less stable and hopefully a lot more glide.

himynameismatt said:
Can't wait for this disc been trying to fill the gap between Buzzz and PD for almost a year now.
Imo the qjls is the stop gap in this category. It flies like a longer buzzz in almost every way.

this thread needs MOAR speculation!

thumbnail.aspx

Latest posts