• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

jubuttib said:
The Quasar I have pretty much flies like a speed 13 OLF or a slightly beat speed 13 PD, and works in windy conditions too. It's easier to throw than the DD2 for example, I need to hit that pretty nicely if I want to get it to go anywhere, it really doesn't take well to powering down. The Quasar really is the first warp speed control driver I've ever seen.

I agree with this 100%. The Quasar is the first disc of its speed that I felt I could consistently shape a variety of lines with.

Jesse B 707 said:
cmlasley said:
JR said:
Wut? Teerex X :-D

Don't start that again. Most of the people here are too new to remember. Others can never forget.
I think that was when JR really came out of the idiot closet

If you look at this thread before my joke post, you see others saying speed 9-10 drivers being their fairway drivers. Not me. I never claimed the TRX is a FW driver, i said it is very controllable for such a fast and OS disc. And it ain't my fault that some fools in the other thread put words in my mouth. I claimed and still do, that the Teerex X is controllable as in flying right, straight or left at distances beyond 330' but preferably way past 350' and it is doable. And if you have the power to do it, but can't you ain't even seen an idiot closet, because you've never been in one and have been plain as day idiot for anyone to see all your life. So excuse me, if i did not lose faculties from being called an idiot by a guy failing miserably in every turn.

I just wondered, why there was no hub bub about by people making wilder claims than i did in stating, that speed 9-10 are FW drivers, but perhaps people remember the thread, where others were acting like asses putting words in my mouth. And the new peeps just don't know better.

Speculation it is then: No matter, what the speed will be, i would imagine, that it can be thrown to fly right, straight and left. At which distance depends on a variety of factors, so i won't speculate farther without any data.

I will as soon as I get them in. I'm leaving for Arkansas on Tuesday, so here's to hoping they show up before then. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until Friday.

I´ve been wondering.

Now don´t get me wrong I'm as excited as the next guy of the Jackal. But I´m kinda failing to see the point of this disc...probably because Í´m a noob.
Some people say Fairways are speed 9-10 these days, and some of the 'normal' fairways are in this speed category, i.e. the Teebird, too. So this would make discs like PD, TD, Valkyrie, SOLF...and so on, Fairway Drivers. And thats cool, that seems legit.

My question is, whats the point of a real speed 7 driver, when you can achieve same distances with midranges? Or almost even with some putters...
Now I can understand slow drivers like the Banshee, very stable with a strong dependable fade. But what possible use could a slightly understable real speed 7 fairway driver have?
Or do most of the people have a huge gap between their midranges and i.e. Teebirds, PDs?
I used to throw the TL a lot, but like Jubuttib, I found it pretty useless when I noticed that my C-MD2s flew only a fraction shorter with half of the fade.

I might be really wrong with all this, I usually am...but I'm just curious.

When thrown on a lower line, I have a noticeable difference between my midranges and drivers. Also, I have to throw midranges a bit harder to start approaching driver distance.

Timko said:
When thrown on a lower line, I have a noticeable difference between my midranges and drivers. Also, I have to throw midranges a bit harder to start approaching driver distance.

I agree totally. In a wide open field I might only get 20-30 feet of extra distance from throwing a leopard over a buzzz. But throwing a golf shot where I might be limited by height, or have a wind, or other variables it makes more sense to throw a fairway driver. If you had a consistent throw and took stacks of discs in various speed ratings I'm guessing the distance between a speed 9 and a 10 or whatever would be very minimal. Somebody who can throw a destroyer 400 feet legit can probably throw a teebird at least 350 feet. So that 50 feet of distance from going from a speed 7 to speed 12 isn't very noticeable when you jump up a notch or 2 at a time in speed.

The longest Sidewinder (speed 9) vs Beast (10) throws in field practice were about 13' apart for me this season.

Loop said:
I´ve been wondering.

Now don´t get me wrong I'm as excited as the next guy of the Jackal. But I´m kinda failing to see the point of this disc...probably because Í´m a noob.
Some people say Fairways are speed 9-10 these days, and some of the 'normal' fairways are in this speed category, i.e. the Teebird, too. So this would make discs like PD, TD, Valkyrie, SOLF...and so on, Fairway Drivers. And thats cool, that seems legit.

My question is, whats the point of a real speed 7 driver, when you can achieve same distances with midranges? Or almost even with some putters...
Now I can understand slow drivers like the Banshee, very stable with a strong dependable fade. But what possible use could a slightly understable real speed 7 fairway driver have?
Or do most of the people have a huge gap between their midranges and i.e. Teebirds, PDs?
I used to throw the TL a lot, but like Jubuttib, I found it pretty useless when I noticed that my C-MD2s flew only a fraction shorter with half of the fade.

I might be really wrong with all this, I usually am...but I'm just curious.

Shaping lines to all the distances you can achieve is necessary to tackle every condition you're gonna encounter. Throwing under tree limbs with low ceiling needing to fly anny possibly flex to flat, when a mid would dive to the ground short etc. And a speed 9 would fade when powered down or fly too far on powered throws. You need something in your bag, that is going to keep turning all the way and another disc that flexes out to flat and possibly a third disc that flexes out and fades out to every distance. MD2 won't be enough in every situation out to the distance you can get it annied.

There is also conservation of strength bonus in not throwing 100 % each time and speed 7 discs power down to controllable, repeatable accurate about 80 % power way better than most 9s and 10s, when you need other lines than straight with fade. Added accuracy over a mid punched at 100 % each time is a good thing and with some FW drivers you also gain more wind neutrality to shield against gusts.

There is probably more, that could be said in favor of speed 6-7 discs.

For most of us non-touring hobbyists the gradation of speeds in our bags is dictated by the types of courses and holes we play regularly. For example, I don't carry my slow drivers (JLS/QJLS) or my Nukes on any of the 3-4 courses I play regularly. I have TD/PDs that power down very well when I need them, but if I had a bunch of holes to play where I was powering those down I would probably bring my QJ. My point is that most of us are not going to carry a full range of stabilities at 5-7 different speeds, despite the fact that they would be needed to have the perfect disc for every possible shot.

I've got high hopes that the FD could be more useful to me that the current choices of fairway drivers on the market.

Latest posts