• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

To be honest, I just want a nice neutral to under stable speed 7-9 disc so I don't have to beet leopards into perfection or hunt for nice roadrunners. I'm thinking that this is the slot that discmania was trying to fill with this disc so I am going to try some.

MOAR SPECULATION...

Everyone wants or is expecting a Leopard type fairway driveway, stable-slightly understable. I'm speculating that this disc is going to be surprisingly stable-slightly overstable. Basically a slower S-Line FR PD. Or a slightly more stable, just half a notch faster Teebird. Straight and predictable. BONUS SPECULATION: The understable Fairway will be released this spring as the FD2.

That would be pretty dumb of discmania to release that style disc with it being so close to the PD which powers down great.

Frank Delicious said:
That would be pretty dumb of discmania to release that style disc with it being so close to the PD which powers down great.
You're right it would it's sort of a pessimistic prediction. My thinking is most of the Discmania line starts out pretty neutral to overstable, and beat into great understable discs. I can def see the FD being the same way.

out of the box this thing flew great! i only need a few throws with it to fully understand it.

it flies exactly like my stable/understable roc. FYI that roc is what i use for dead straight and right turning shots RHBH. this disc has AMAZING glide! the rim is small like a leopard, but don't let the "speed" fool you. it is as long as my CH eagle and C-PD.

these numbers are just my opinion.

Speed: small rim width (probably speed 6) actual speed when combined with the glide is like a 7.
Turn: -1/-1.5 if thrown flat you get a nice gradual long turn. you can hyzer flip it, throw it flat, or turn it over. this disc felt right at home in my bag immediately.
Glide: soooo much glide. i would compare it to RR or roc like glide.
Fade: if i had to give it a number, it would be 1. the fade is very minimal. when thrown flat and you achieve turn, the disc barely fights back at all and exhibits minimal fade. it fades like a roc that has been seasoned and the LSS has been beaten out of it.

Summary: the more i threw the disc the more i loved it. i immediately feel in love with the flight characteristics because of the Roc-like flight. this disc is super versatile. it can hit hyzer lines, hyzer flips, long turnovers, and hold a turnover into the ground. it was everything i always wanted a leopard or gazelle to be, but wasn't.

Drivers in the Bag: CH-RR, S-DS, C-PD2, CH-EX, C-PD, S-FD.

Wow the fd sounds promising. Sounds like a better stalker...

Or a qjls lol. Welp looks like its gonnabe a battle for sure between my qjls n this fd. Thanks for the info xout

Hows it fly on low lines?

dear god, x-out... that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I do need a go-between to fill out the spot going up from MD2 to CD/PD... I'll probably get one on the lighter side, so that it does what I need it to with less power. That glide sure sounds good! Until then I'll tinker with a just purchased 167g CH TL+ that I was planning for this role. Just too bad were expecting first snow here... :x

Booter said:

Or a qjls lol. Welp looks like its gonnabe a battle for sure between my qjls n this fd. Thanks for the info xout

it is great on low lines. it really depends on how far you are trying to push it on low lines that dictates the amount of turn you will see. this will be an amazing disc for any technical/wooded courses. it also works well powered down. i feel that i could go to any course with only an FD as a driver and shoot very well.

maskedavenger said:
dear god, x-out... that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I do need a go-between to fill out the spot going up from MD2 to CD/PD... I'll probably get one on the lighter side, so that it does what I need it to with less power. That glide sure sounds good! Until then I'll tinker with a just purchased 167g CH TL+ that I was planning for this role. Just too bad were expecting first snow here... :x

i liked the CH TL+. it just didn't fit my stable/understable role perfectly. the TL took a little more effort than i felt comfortable with to shape the understable shots. after some seasoning i'm sure the CH TL+ will be a great stable/understable disc. maybe at 167g you might have better success.

only time will tell, but i'm thinking i will only like out of the box and seasoned FD's. beat FD's will likely be too leopard-ish for my taste. who knows maybe beat FD's will be a great roller.

Booter said:
Im sold!

How far were u getting them out approximately?
Weight on urs?

weight=175g

i threw on the field and on the course. in the field they were just as long as my CH-EX & C-PD, anywhere in the 430-450ft range. on the course it was best suited for holes in the 380 and under range. in reality i was throwing it on every hole, but realistically it was getting use on holes where i'd normally be pushing a roc really hard on low lines. on the course it really doesn't make much sense to crank this thing when i can control a nice destroyer to cover the long shots.

basically if there is a shot where you are using a roc or would like to use a roc, but the ceiling it too low, the FD should come out. if you need a nice controlled turn, the FD should come out. this disc is the most roc-like driver i've ever thrown.

Booter said:

That's exactly what I was thinking...It sounds a lot like a Stalker...BUT WITH GLIDE!!!

I loved the Stalker, still think it's probably the best fit in between my Buzzz and PD, eagerly anticipating the release of the FD!

x-out said:
Booter said:
Im sold!

How far were u getting them out approximately?
Weight on urs?

weight=175g

i threw on the field and on the course. in the field they were just as long as my CH-EX & C-PD, anywhere in the 430-450ft range. on the course it was best suited for holes in the 380 and under range. in reality i was throwing it on every hole, but realistically it was getting use on holes where i'd normally be pushing a roc really hard on low lines. on the course it really doesn't make much sense to crank this thing when i can control a nice destroyer to cover the long shots.

basically if there is a shot where you are using a roc or would like to use a roc, but the ceiling it too low, the FD should come out. if you need a nice controlled turn, the FD should come out. this disc is the most roc-like driver i've ever thrown.

A beat roc in my opinion is a lot like a Comet, so this disc is sounding a little like a Comet of Fairways. Either way it's getting Roc comparisons which has me terribly excited.

Frank Delicious said:
God I really hope this thing doesn't throw like a stalker.

A Stalker type disc seems like the only logical progression for Innova/Discmania fairways, meaning they don't have anything in their lineup that flies like one so why not try and make a better one.

Only bad thing about the Stalker mold is that it doesn't glide well and needs A LOT of air under it to get it past 400' which IMO you shouldn't be trying to throw a Stalker much past 400' anyways.

If the Jackal can take the Stalker formula and improve it Discmania is going to have one helluva disc on their hands.

well xout already says it had good glide and flies good on low lines so it sounds like its a better stalker. however, i think a better comparison would be qjls