• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

Anyone have experience with red champystars? I picked up a 169 with generous dome. Excited to find some time to throw it after what everyone has been saying about this mold in general.

Fightingthetide said:
Anyone have experience with red champystars?

Of the four FDs I have, a 165g red champystar has the most glide and is second most HSS (difference here isn't much). I currently have it paired with a 175g C FD which I find easier to range.

Dag said:
Fightingthetide said:
Anyone have experience with red champystars?

Of the four FDs I have, a 165g red champystar has the most glide and is second most HSS (difference here isn't much). I currently have it paired with a 175g C FD which I find easier to range.

What about LSS?

I'll get out to throw mine soon, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Fightingthetide said:
What about LSS?

Thrown flat, not much. Between the FDs, I have the impression the Cs are a touch more so but wouldn't swear to it. The only other fairway I've thrown enough to comment on is the River, which gets to the same place as the FD, just taking a different path to get there.

Fightingthetide said:
maskedavenger said:
You hit the nail on the head. I've just been thinking of slimming my bag down to P1 MD2(1 understable, 1 stable) FD PD (1 straight, 1 overstable). Don't really need anything else.

That would work great, if your straight PD is good for max D. I would use P2's (preference), but more importantly, I would add another putter for drives/approaches.

Duh yes i forgot that. I do have a driving putter (hard plastic P1/aviar) and often on short approaches i toss my putting putter (softer). Im still juggling putters (and just lost a black omega in a shallow but muddy creek) but one aviar variation or another should fit the bill. Been throwing them a lot more this spring, to clean up my form.

The straight PD is beat and slightly under max weight so yes it probably is also my max distance driver. Beat ES-DD2 may be an inch longer but no sense in dragging it along for that only.

After a month of experimenting with a pair of 172 blue domey S lines, ive found that these are pretty sweet.

On a hyzer flip theyre pretty consistent, the release angle in relation to how it finishes is also very consistent. At about an 8 o clock release and a good rip you will get a straight flight for about 70 % then a reliable turn, if high/long enough it will fade from this somewhat. At about a 7 oclock release it flips to straight, maybe tracking right very slightly and then a gentle fade as it slows.

On flatter releases it will turn fairly quickly, it flies like a beat sidewinder in this regard, sometimes if high enough it will slow down and fade some but if you keep it low it holds that line to the ground given a decent amount of spin.

A nice disc, fills a hole in my bag, between my Understable mid and my Roadrunner. The fd and roadrunner may overlap if you only use them for straight to understable drives since the fd has so much glide its nearly as long as the RR, for me the road runner holds long S shots and distance turnovers better. The fd excels in the woods for tunnel shots, uphill and low power shots with no ceiling a bit more reliablythan the rr so i have a need for both.

Fightingthetide said:
Anyone have experience with red champystars? I picked up a 169 with generous dome. Excited to find some time to throw it after what everyone has been saying about this mold in general.

i've got 2 169 red champy stars and like them. i had an orange 172 and red 175 with the russian stamp and the champy stars are more stable than either. on a good day i can get them out to about 350, they'll track right a bit and then eventually fade. the one in the bag hasn't seen a ton of hits yet, so we'll see how it takes to lose some of its initial stability. i was also surprised that it holds up to wind pretty well, better than any rivers i've thrown.

Roc Lover said:
After a month of experimenting with a pair of 172 blue domey S lines, ive found that these are pretty sweet.

On a hyzer flip theyre pretty consistent, the release angle in relation to how it finishes is also very consistent. At about an 8 o clock release and a good rip you will get a straight flight for about 70 % then a reliable turn, if high/long enough it will fade from this somewhat. At about a 7 oclock release it flips to straight, maybe tracking right very slightly and then a gentle fade as it slows.

On flatter releases it will turn fairly quickly, it flies like a beat sidewinder in this regard, sometimes if high enough it will slow down and fade some but if you keep it low it holds that line to the ground given a decent amount of spin.

A nice disc, fills a hole in my bag, between my Understable mid and my Roadrunner. The fd and roadrunner may overlap if you only use them for straight to understable drives since the fd has so much glide its nearly as long as the RR, for me the road runner holds long S shots and distance turnovers better. The fd excels in the woods for tunnel shots, uphill and low power shots with no ceiling a bit more reliablythan the rr so i have a need for both.

Watching you throw them a few times in Marshall, plus this added information, is honestly enough to convince me that this is what I'm looking for. Probably will fit well in my lineup with teebirds and c-tds.

I think it would fit nicely in your setup. Its very handy for shots that require a straight flight and have a limited ceiling, stuff that would normally have a roc or comet thrown at it distance wise. And it covers a pretty good amount of shots on different power levels. Pretty much what i was hoping the river and TD to be.

Brand new red champystar S FD parked this shot today (RHBH). 350' with very little fade. I had a slight tailwind, which I thought would make me fade too far, but that wasn't the case...landed under the basket. FD is in the bag.

875a5682.jpg

6d0976ab.jpg

So I got some throws in today with my S-FD out at Walnut Ridge. Hole 1, 400 ft., no problem. FD on a nice s-line to within 15 feet. Easy birdy. Hole 15(the tunnel hole), 620 feet. Throw a comet 200...then rip the jackal on a 7 o'clock hyzer and watch it flatten and fly dead straight to the basket...drop in 3. Been a long time since I have 3'ed that hole. So far, very impressed. Make losing my bread and butter 11x EL a little more tolerable. Just got a couple of the C-FD's in today from DGDave. Can't wait to throw them. Hoping for a little more stability than the S-line I have. This disc is sneaky long. Feels like a Leopard/TL, but flies a lot longer. Between the PD and the FD, they are covering 75% of my tee shots right now. The FD is a go to now for tunnel shots. It lands so softly without any skip.

Hole 1(The saplings are a lot taller now, went to the left side of them. Basket is on the right side near the tree line)
9f3f6e24_m.jpg

Hole 15
b6bbfe41_m.jpg

I got to throw my 2 new FDs today as well, an orange and yellow both at 175. This disc has stoooopid amounts of glide. So easy to throw too. Actually pretty similar to a worn in dx teebird, for hyzer flips at least. Locks on to flat pretty well and sails. Haven't really had to work lines that much with it so far, but I actually have confidence that it will work for what I need to use it for. It feels like it has just enough turn to really manipulate it's flight with hyzer angles.

I'm in love. 173g S-FD. Griplock with the first throw, after that pure magic. Dead straight, no problems with minor head wind, glides forever. And the rim feels so good. :)

Must change my 'favorite disc' info right now!

I read a fair amount of the posts, but wondering about a comparison to an Eagle-L? I throw eagle-x mainly, but sometimes don't want to wait for the break in period for a little turn to appear, so eagle-L sometimes. I do throw PD's, so a discmania fan. FD could replace the L's?

I'd say the FD has a slightly straighter overall flight path compared to an eagle-L. I don't have a lot of throws with the FD though, and haven't really thrown the eagle-L that much in years.

the FD i had was very easy to flip.. i didnt like it, traded it away..

but the one i had was a red SUPER domey one, maybe that has something to do with it

FD isn't meant to be hard to flip, but the flip is very controllable.

Latest posts