• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

For reliable flippy out of the box I have to say the D-FD's are tits. <3

both of my S-FDs are domey (not sure to what degree since I haven't seen any others to compare) and I'm planning on picking another few up really soon. The more throws I get with this disc, the more I liken it to a nicely worn DX teebird. Lots of glide, locks onto a line without being flippy, easy to throw at lower power and lower lines than it would seem at first.

Actually, I think I'd go as far as to say this is the driver version of a Comet. Won't be out of my bag anytime in the near future that's for sure. Discmania really hit a good one with this mold.

victorb said:
both of my S-FDs are domey (not sure to what degree since I haven't seen any others to compare) and I'm planning on picking another few up really soon. The more throws I get with this disc, the more I liken it to a nicely worn DX teebird. Lots of glide, locks onto a line without being flippy, easy to throw at lower power and lower lines than it would seem at first.

Actually, I think I'd go as far as to say this is the driver version of a Comet. Won't be out of my bag anytime in the near future that's for sure. Discmania really hit a good one with this mold.

+1 on the line-shaping without flipping

I ran across one at a store the other day and almost picked it up. It was Orange S-FD (I think the stamp was gold), but it looked really domey and I wasn't sure if that is the one I want. Anyone else come across these domey Orange S-FDs, how do they fly?

JHern said:
I ran across one at a store the other day and almost picked it up. It was Orange S-FD (I think the stamp was gold), but it looked really domey and I wasn't sure if that is the one I want. Anyone else come across these domey Orange S-FDs, how do they fly?

I have an orange domey ( I think) 175. Flies like I described above. Fantastic disc, worth at least trying out.

victorb said:
JHern said:

I have an orange domey ( I think) 175. Flies like I described above. Fantastic disc, worth at least trying out.

Domey is what you want, I've got 3 orange all with the same dome, the one in the bag is great, driver comet kinda rings true.

I really can't agree with the driver Comet thing, because from my experience Comets have no natural turn unless you beat them in quite a bit, whereas the FD definitely has some turn to it (though it's certainly not flippy). The end fade of my FD's also doesn't quite fit.

I will agree that it is a somewhat middish feeling driver though.

Flipflat said:
victorb said:
JHern said:

Domey is what you want, I've got 3 orange all with the same dome, the one in the bag is great, driver comet kinda rings true.

Id say more of a beat roc driver

I just got a 168 domey orange. I haven't thrown it enough yet, but it is fairly stable and only has a small amount of turn. It isn't even that bad in the wind either. I'm hoping it will beat in more to a less stable compliment to my Star Eagle X which hasn't seemed to have lost any stability after a year of use.

chickenonabun said:
I just got a 168 domey orange. I haven't thrown it enough yet, but it is fairly stable and only has a small amount of turn. It isn't even that bad in the wind either. I'm hoping it will beat in more to a less stable compliment to my Star Eagle X which hasn't seemed to have lost any stability after a year of use.
It will fill that need

linkinparkervii said:
Flipflat said:
victorb said:
JHern said:

I suppose it's the slowness and glide of this disc that makes me think of a comet, although I haven't thrown a comet in a few years. My fd isn't really flippy for me either, although I'm in the 300ish' power range.

That explains why it doesn't flip for you. People throw Comets farther and the power that is needed with the Comet to go 330'+ on a line drive would put the FD close maybe even to 400' depending on the speed/spin ratio of the thrower and the lines. At that power at least my FD flipped more than a River. Also the fade was over double in feet of my Opto Rivers and more than double over GL Rivers. Judging by how others describe their FD flight i may have had a lemon or a personal form issue with mine.

linkinparkervii said:

a beat roc in a driver version would be a lot closer to a beat eagle-x. the amount of glide, and ability to power down the FD and still throw laser straight shots is what really reminds me of a comet.

I thought I saw this somewhere already, but has anyone likened the FD to a beat-in 11x Champ Teebird? I have both, and they tend to fly similar lines. The FD does glide better, and has a more fluid motion to it's turn and fade whereas the Teebird has a more abrupt turn and fade. I can still get them to the same spot with lines that aren't too far off from each other.

Fightingthetide said:
I thought I saw this somewhere already, but has anyone likened the FD to a beat-in 11x Champ Teebird? I have both, and they tend to fly similar lines. The FD does glide better, and has a more fluid motion to it's turn and fade whereas the Teebird has a more abrupt turn and fade. I can still get them to the same spot with lines that aren't too far off from each other.

I think it's closer to a worn (not super beat) dx teebird. The low speed fade of a beat 11xTB is still a bit too pronounced for how the FD flies. A dx TB finishes straighter, more consistent with the 'hyzer flip with no fade' type shots the FD excels at. The FD is a bit better at hyzer flips to turnovers that don't fade out than an 11x TB, IME.

Before I enter a few brief comments on the FD I should mention:
1- My s-FDs are 175, red, and have a pretty serious dome near the rim that flattens out toward the top.
2- I am throwing the FD around 350 or so on low lines and farther if I give it some air
2- I've been playing a lot more at a course with very thick disc eating undergrowth
3- Over the past year or so I have been trying to loose any sentimental attachment to discs and value out-of-the-box play-ability

Considering the above, the FD has quickly become one of my favorite discs. I've recently lost 2 seasoned champy-star sPDs that, before the FD, would have been tragic but the FD preforms beautifully on most of the shots I used the PDs for and more. It's been said before but the FD really does hold amazing lines right out of the box and glides like a maniac. I am also constantly impressed with the FDs ability to cover a lot of ground even when thrown on low line drives despite being a slower disc. I thought I had more to say but I guess that's it. Discmania- DON'T TWEAK THIS MOLD!!!

Threw my beat up S-FD a fair bit last night. It always amazes me how sneaky long this disc is. It is like a driver version of a Comet(As the Comet is always amazing).

The River continually gets love (especially over at dgcr, but dem guys) , but the Jackal isn't talked about much anymore. I think it's far superior to the river, and more versatile to boot.

Easily the best driver to come out in the last year.

FD>River More glide, more workable, more comfortable and I get to tell people it's a jackal.

th_994898b8.jpg

Latest posts