• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania (FD) Jackal

DGR is super big on the PD, and it compliments the FD perfectly. I think that's why you see more talk about the FD around here.

Am i the only one who hates the constant leo/river comparisons?

Oh yeah, jackal is (.)(.)'s

Yeah, I don't really see either.

The C FD is like a slower CFR or Champ TL.
The S FD is like a slower Sidewinder.

Dave D wrote on the PDGA site that early in the year they had plastic that domed up many molds taller than normal. Mine was tall and he wrote that they have flatter discs now so i guess i need to start browsing that selection in my shop for better examples. Too bad i have tendonitis and can't throw in a while. Bummer we're getting fall temps already and my season in good weather is 9 weeks now thanks to surgery after the two longest winters in living memory. Blechhh.

Those flat ones are the flipper ones. Those were what the DGR FDs were like. The proto one I got from Mark at DGV is domey, and similar in shape (and flight) to my C line one.

Timko said:
Those flat ones are the flipper ones. Those were what the DGR FDs were like. The proto one I got from Mark at DGV is domey, and similar in shape (and flight) to my C line one.

the couple of domey ones I have are money. I don't know that I'd want a flippier version than what I'm wearing my primary one into.

I lost interest in S-Line FDs again then at least until i can throw a straighter one and i ain't buying one. Are the C FDs more HSS and less LSS? If not i don't care for that disc.

JR said:
I lost interest in S-Line FDs again then at least until i can throw a straighter one and i ain't buying one. Are the C FDs more HSS and less LSS? If not i don't care for that disc.

The 2 C FDs i have are more HSS and have LSS. I think they are like a beat Champ Teebird if you get what im saying. They will hold a straighter line when thrown flat, but still have some fade at the end. And they still have the infamous FD glide.

linkinparkervii said:
JR said:

The 2 C FDs i have are more HSS and have LSS. I think they are like a beat Champ Teebird if you get what im saying. They will hold a straighter line when thrown flat, but still have some fade at the end. And they still have the infamous FD glide.

Same problem here. My 169 S FD tracks to the right but fades out too hard. Is anyone having luck with truly understable FD's from 300' to 350'? Not necessarily flippy, just able to finish to the right.

I've noticed that the FD isn't great at a flip to turnover until they are beat in.

But they are beautiful on long sweeping anhyzers out of the box though. I don't have any issues getting them to finish right on most lines, maybe yours is just not beat in enough for that finish, or giving it too much height?

for reference, all of mine are 175 and pretty domey.

victorb said:
I've noticed that the FD isn't great at a flip to turnover until they are beat in.

But they are beautiful on long sweeping anhyzers out of the box though. I don't have any issues getting them to finish right on most lines, maybe yours is just not beat in enough for that finish, or giving it too much height?

for reference, all of mine are 175 and pretty domey.

Mine tracks right only on a full power throw. It's a relatively flat champystar blend, so that could be the problem too. And keeping it low isn't the issue. It's more that I need full power to make it work. There are some situations where I can't get a full power rip.

I had a lie yesterday afternoon in a thick bed of pine needles. I had zero traction, so I had to do a low-power standstill shot. It's situations like this where I need an understable disc - a disc that won't flip, because it's a low power shot, but will fly straight and maybe track to the right, glide for a long time, and fade very little.

I really, really want to try out some D Line FD's. Why are they only available in Europe? Anyone know where to get any over here? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an overseas order but I'd much rather find one closer to home.

Fightingthetide said:
Mine tracks right only on a full power throw.

I think that's how they are supposed to fly. Takes a lot more power for me to flip these than say, a champ leopard of the same weight.

Just enough high speed turn to be workable, but not enough to be a true turnover driver until it gets beat in, IMO.

victorb said:
Fightingthetide said:
Mine tracks right only on a full power throw.

I think that's how they are supposed to fly. Takes a lot more power for me to flip these than say, a champ leopard of the same weight.

Just enough high speed turn to be workable, but not enough to be a true turnover driver until it gets beat in, IMO.

The problem for me is that it overlaps with a seasoned Star Teebird too much. Still a great disc, and would work better for a bag where the next step up in stability was more than a Teebird.

Fightingthetide said:
The problem for me is that it overlaps with a seasoned Star Teebird too much. Still a great disc, and would work better for a bag where the next step up in stability was more than a Teebird.
Which is why it's such a great companion for the PD.

jubuttib said:
Fightingthetide said:
Which is why it's such a great companion for the PD.

I was wondering if I could have been vague enough...nope :lol:

Threw (rhbh) some first run c-line FD vs. s-line FD jackals in the soccer field today. The goal was to throw only straight shots. Some analysis:

Low drives in light headwind (~35-40% power) with a medium hyzer angle
c-line: somewhat flippy but made a mellower turn and had nice little fade, finished around 5' to the right. distance: ~315'
s-line: very flippy, not much fade at all. arching early turn. (higher shots went pretty far, but no consistency there) finished waaay to the right. distance: ~300'.

Headwind Conclusion:
I threw some eagles for comparison (~50-70% power).. and they're still the money in light head wind, consistent and longer. C-line FDs in headwind? maybe if needed to throw with less power. S-line? nope.. never.

-

Low drives in tailwind (~40-50% power) with a little hyzer angle
c-line: very straight with almost no turn, started to fade around 325', finished 10' to the left.. distance: ~345'
s-line: slight turn, kept the line for most of the flight, finished with long fade 5' to the right. distance: ~355'

Tailwind Conclusion:
Effortless distance and tremendous glide. Consistent. With a little more power and higher apex, s-lines went 80' over the soccerfield (field is 328' long minus 28' from throwing position) so about 380'.

-

When throwing in calm winds and tailwinds S-line jackals are very nice and require very little power. They go straight(ish). C-lines can handle more power in those situations. They're are more consisten, straighter and finish more to the left. In light headwinds the S-line in very touchy and require a smooth throw with lots of spin, all that with careful power and hyzer angle. They still tend to finish right so straight shots are hard to achieve. C-lines in headwind are doable and OK, but I still would favor Eagle-x.

I like the disc a lot when I need to throw with minimal power.

I don't know what you consider a light headwind, but my sFDs aren't super flippy into a little wind. Over 10mph, and yea, they start trying to stay out right. Low power throws still don't really flip (and barely flip to flat) for me in most wind conditions at 300'. I throw them where I'd throw a Roc a lot of times when I have a low ceiling or just don't want to throw hard.

Of course, I don't use them in a headwind if I can help it anyway, that's why I carry PDs and predators.

Latest posts