• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Thread (Part II)

So I'll start the conversation.

Discmania announced their own manufacturing plant last year, "as many P2s as you want," etc.

The location was right next to Lat 64's shop in Skellefteå, or was it the same?

I know Lat was making the Evolution discs, but are the new "Originals" made by Lat 64 or a new Discmania plant adjacent?

I've seen folks suggest on these boards that the "Italian" blend and Royal were the same, etc.

Just want some clarification.

What are the degrees of seperation between Lat 64, Discmania, and perhaps Kevin Bacon.

Last edited:
I'm a noob, so I don't know how this works. Why did the previous thread shut down?
There was a problem with the site at some point with long threads, and the recommended fix was to limit threads to 5,000 posts. The old thread had 5,291 posts so it needed to be closed, but there was nothing wrong with the thread so we try to link them so people can easily go back to the old thread to find information if there was something there they wanted to continue to talk about.

The old Discmania thread was started by a Discmania employee as an "Official Ask Discmania" thread and it was stickied at the top of the forum, but that employee hasn't worked at Discmania for five years and there hasn't been anyone from Discmania responding to it for quite some time so far as I can tell. This thread isn't going to keep the old title and it's not going to be stickied, but it's here to keep the conversation going.

There was a problem with the site at some point with long threads, and the recommended fix was to limit threads to 5,000 posts. The old thread had 5,291 posts so it needed to be closed, but there was nothing wrong with the thread so we try to link them so people can easily go back to the old thread to find information if there was something there they wanted to continue to talk about.

The old Discmania thread was started by a Discmania employee as an "Official Ask Discmania" thread and it was stickied at the top of the forum, but that employee hasn't worked at Discmania for five years and there hasn't been anyone from Discmania responding to it for quite some time so far as I can tell. This thread isn't going to keep the old title and it's not going to be stickied, but it's here to keep the conversation going.

Maybe there are some Latitude or Yikun employees who could respond?:thmbup:

This guy got another one of those clear Origins. Second disc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 84B91FDE-4CC3-4821-9387-1E708277F443.jpg
    84B91FDE-4CC3-4821-9387-1E708277F443.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 587
So I'll start the conversation.

Discmania announced their own manufacturing plant last year, "as many P2s as you want," etc.

The location was right next to Lat 64's shop in Skellefteå, or was it the same?

I know Lat was making the Evolution discs, but are the new "Originals" made by Lat 64 or a new Discmania plant adjacent?

I've seen folks suggest on these boards that the "Italian" blend and Royal were the same, etc.

Just want some clarification.

What are the degrees of seperation between Lat 64, Discmania, and perhaps Kevin Bacon.

The new factory DM is almost next to the Lat64's. They have had a ton of help from Lat64 to build their factory so fast and the machiney is the same as lat64 (will make transitioning Evolution line in house easier).

Of course only the factory location is guaranteed an the machinery part is guesswork, but the discs are so close to Lat64 that I'm 99% sure about it.

Can we just say its the same deal they had with Innova except they have a dedicated facility to produce their discs instead of a timeshare on the other companies equipment?

Can we just say its the same deal they had with Innova except they have a dedicated facility to produce their discs instead of a timeshare on the other companies equipment?

I would say we cant because if Lat64 would pull out this time Jussi will have his own factory and own the molds. Not just the names as happened with Innova.

There is no evidence that proves this to be true. If somebody claims something, but then fail to produce evidence then its reasonable to assume that the claim was false. No evidence = claim was a lie

There is no evidence that proves this to be true. If somebody claims something, but then fail to produce evidence then its reasonable to assume that the claim was false. No evidence = claim was a lie

So this is a bash Discmania thread, lol? I really like the molds and the plastics in Discmania's lineup. There is remarkably little drama with any other company and who molds/claims-to-mold their discs. Discmania has said a few words in gratitude to Innova. Innova has made no comment (that I'm aware of), and neither company has said specifics about the source of contention that parted ways.

Innova molded Discmania discs. Pandemic came and production stopped. Discmania found a way to have product made (broke contract? hurt feelings? Who knows). Innova and DM split. For some reason disc golfers who otherwise love to encourage other disc golfers in every way, decided this split was worth piling on. Meh. I just wanted some P2s (not alpacas or omegas).

So here we are years later and Innova still makes all the original molds, AND Discmania has remolded the originals. To anyone with no axe to grind, this should be the best case scenario? No?

Discmania publicly and obviously had the help of L64 to make and mold new discs. Publicly has the help of Yikun to make discs. So here's the huge internet hubbub: it is incredulous to believe Jussi when he says they have a factory and are molding discs in-house. Not sure why this makes some people rabid-internet-mad?

My Speculation: Of course Discmania would buy the same kind of machines that L64 uses. They're in the same city for availability. Would I like to hear about how DM and L64 talk about plastics and blends? Yep. Would I be interested in the details of the separated/sharedness of facilities? Sure. Do I like the plastics? Yes. Do I like the molds? Yes. Will someone ignore all that I just said and jump to the next sentence? Undoubtedly.

You may not like the evidence, but here is evidence:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3778806&postcount=4629

Couldnt have said it better. I actually wrote a couple of lines of frustrated blah de blah but deleted that. I dont know what it is about this and some people. If Jussi took those people to the factory I am pretty sure they would claim its all just a facade made to fool them.

Not a fanboy nor am I a hater and here is what I believe. For full disclosure, my beliefs are not based on hard evidence.

I believe Discmania has their own factory and equipment.

Being new to the production process, I believe they are getting tips, pointers, and likely physical assistance from employees of Latitude 64.

I believe Tomas Ekstrom is designing (or reverse engineering in some cases) their discs. There is evidence of this as there are multiple videos from Discmania where Tomas is working with Simon and Eagle on discs like the Tilt and Rainmaker.

I believe they are essentially using the same plastics for the most part. It makes sense when they are buying plastic that they can make larger orders from the same supplier and get better deals. As a long time trilogy thrower, a lot of the newer Discmania plastics are definitely Lucid, Lucid chameleon, gold line, etc. The blends and mix ratios might be a little different or maybe not but they are both definitely getting plastic from the same source.

I also believe that once Discmania has a better handle on the production process there will likely be more separation between the companies. Well, except maybe the plastics for no other reason than the bulk buys that I already alluded to earlier.

I also predict that when their contract is up with Yikun that they will likely drop the active line as they start offering their better selling discs in a more baseline plastic.

I guess only time will tell if I am right about any of this.

So this is a bash Discmania thread, lol? I really like the molds and the plastics in Discmania's lineup. There is remarkably little drama with any other company and who molds/claims-to-mold their discs. Discmania has said a few words in gratitude to Innova. Innova has made no comment (that I'm aware of), and neither company has said specifics about the source of contention that parted ways.

Innova molded Discmania discs. Pandemic came and production stopped. Discmania found a way to have product made (broke contract? hurt feelings? Who knows). Innova and DM split. For some reason disc golfers who otherwise love to encourage other disc golfers in every way, decided this split was worth piling on. Meh. I just wanted some P2s (not alpacas or omegas).

So here we are years later and Innova still makes all the original molds, AND Discmania has remolded the originals. To anyone with no axe to grind, this should be the best case scenario? No?

Discmania publicly and obviously had the help of L64 to make and mold new discs. Publicly has the help of Yikun to make discs. So here's the huge internet hubbub: it is incredulous to believe Jussi when he says they have a factory and are molding discs in-house. Not sure why this makes some people rabid-internet-mad?

My Speculation: Of course Discmania would buy the same kind of machines that L64 uses. They're in the same city for availability. Would I like to hear about how DM and L64 talk about plastics and blends? Yep. Would I be interested in the details of the separated/sharedness of facilities? Sure. Do I like the plastics? Yes. Do I like the molds? Yes. Will someone ignore all that I just said and jump to the next sentence? Undoubtedly.

You may not like the evidence, but here is evidence:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3778806&postcount=4629
I think there must be a misunderstanding. I was disputing the claim that Discmania's current deal was the same as the one they had with Innova. Their current setup seems to be much more robust, with Discmania owning a production facility and the molds of the discs they are producing. I was not trying to bash Discmania and I apologize if my post appeared that way. It was not a very well worded post

Mistaking this court of law for an internet forum I hold myself in contempt! =)

Back from the Stratosphere

Black boxes drop 12/27

Return of another "Original"…