• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Titanium (now with pics)

Didn't mean to turn this into a Stalker thread! I'm enjoying this discussion....I use my Stalker frequently as an 80% disc; much like someone would use a leopard for instance. I tend to throw the flatter, more stable ones and can get really nice sweeping hyzers with them. Frankly, I intend to try all the new Ti discs except the SS.

JHern said:
Frank Delicious said:
...now no one really uses those short driver/long mid discs anymore like the stalker or saber or whatever the DGA one is, the squall I think...It is just the evolution of the game.

I think what you're saying is that people prefer to use their mid-range discs, if they can...and if they can't use their mid-ranges, then they pull out drivers instead. But this really depends on the course and the players. A lot of pros use these slower fairway drivers...I've seen Nate Doss throw one on several occasions. Also, Paige Pierce actually uses her Stalkers quite a bit. You can see her throwing one in the Memorial footage last week, she parked that one hole at the Memorial on the insane windy day (360', with 330' of that over water and a ferocious headwind) using a Ti Stalker. It was a phenomenal throw, and a superb flight (finishing straight and flat, whereas the over-stable finishing throws of other players were getting legs in the wind). Eric McCabe was commenting with Dave Greenwell when she threw that shot, and he made sure to mention that it was her signature Ti Stalker. But if you want to make a throw like that then you'll need to be precise and ultra-clean in your form.

Anyways, I think it is still a good idea to throw the slowest disc you can comfortably throw for a shot. And for a lot of shots, a Stalker is going to fit the bill more often than you realize. For a while after I first acquired it, I used my FR Stalker extensively, and I found it to be useful for a lot of shots and with a wide distance range of operation. I played several rounds at a longer course with just a Stalker and a putter, and it was fun. But then I found the Buzzz...

No what I mean is that most people don't use that speed of tweener driver/mid and that most people really don't need to as it is not gonna be much longer than the new faster mids that are being used more and more. The few people I know who really use a stalker well can throw pretty far and I think for those people, having a disc that behaves like a buzzz that they can push out and extra 30' or so really comes in handy.

The speed of fairway drivers has changed over the last couple of years and discs like the gazelle and cyclone are getting thrown less and less as the eagle/teebird become the standard speed for fairway drivers. Longer discs like the striker and SOLF and PD are being seen as control fairway drivers by more people.

I also use to think it was a good idea to throw the slowest disc for the shot but I have changed that idea over the past year or so and it has really improved my game. Trying to always throw the slowest disc for the shot is a good idea when you are learning the game but as you get better, you should throw the best disc for the shot, sometimes that isn't always the slowest disc. Is it smarter to throw a roc 95% to get it to 310' or a teebird at 80% on a slightly lower line on the same shot? It depends.

So out of all these threads, no one has yet to comment on how these Titanium discs compare to Discraft Z or ESP (or anything else) in actual flight characteristics. Are they more/less durable, do they seem to have more or less glide, are they more HSS or less, LSS, you know... the stuff that actually matters?

jhilton said:
So out of all these threads, no one has yet to comment on how these Titanium discs compare to Discraft Z or ESP (or anything else) in actual flight characteristics. Are they more/less durable, do they seem to have more or less glide, are they more HSS or less, LSS, you know... the stuff that actually matters?

Well they're not in production and rumor is they're tweaking the Memorial blend/mold sooo there is no information to be shared. Word is the Memorial discs all came out pretty flat and stable, but not a lot of people are throwing them. Way too piss on the speculation party :x

I don't care about all the speculation and rumors. I just want me some Ti Buzzz.

NoLifeLeft said:
I bought a FR Stalker when they released them and I apparently got one of the ones with crap for glide. It was like a Buzzz that needed to be thrown harder and yielded no distance bonus, it just got there a little faster. I've not felt the need revisit the mold since. Some of the local guys love the Stalker and it works well for them because they will rarely drive with a mid so a mid-like driver helps them considerably.

I'll probably grab a Ti Force when they are readily available.

I haven't heard of that kind of Stalkers. My FR is 40-50' longer than my Buzzz.

jubuttib said:
JR said:
Low powered approach stand stills or sneaking speed steps into tight tunnels. I can throw it farther than the Comets and being smaller diameter it has a better chance of penetrating obstacles. I know from the performance of others that i can't get clean releases out of the Comets at full power and the Squall needs way less initial hyzer to flip to flat for me. I don't recall the exact D that i can throw the Comet flat without turn but it can't be more than 250' i think.
I can definitely get the Squall out farther than a Comet, but whereas the Comet is a point and shoot type of disc, the Squall needs to be flipped to go straight and a helix to go really far. It's also not anywhere near as good on short throws as the Comet. For anything involving tunnels I'd rather grab the Comet, or even a seasoned D-MD2.

It definitely suffers from the same problem a lot of tweener mids tend to, namely that in some parts it behaves more like a driver than a mid. It's straight cruising speed range (and usable power range) is narrower than with most pure mids. Overpower it and it develops a pretty severe turn. Underpower it and it changes it's behavior to more overstable than you'd think pretty quickly. Still, I do like the Squall.

I hear you about powering down disadvantages of the Squalls but there is an upside to it when you can have or the shot calls for a fade. Wind resistance is iffy with the Squalls if it ain't rear quarter. Power down and the disc got more forgiving and will fade. I have a sparkle Z and an ESP whatever DGA calls those plastics and the Z is way less LSS and a hair more HSS. Nice. That one is pretty nice and paired to a Comet and a Buzzz would make a nice selection. Even a Stalker could be fitted in to cover different natural turn and fade characteristics for different distances without overlap as long as you know how to compartmentalize them. And i'm not saying that you couldn't manipulate the Z Squall to pull of all the duties well if you have enough skill. With wind reservation.

For me the Comet is either a point and shooter or at longer distances a hyzer flipper and since the Squall excels at longer ranges there the Comet is equal for me at the moment. I just got my first Hawk but having a rocky home course and having a shape in the bottom that equals beads (or almost) for finger sticking i don't know how useful it's gonna be for general purposes. Grip tackiness for cold weather is great but i think i must refrain from throwing outside until the snow melts and it depends on recovery speed if i can throw indoors before that.

Then there is the new kid in town the Westside Warship. If it flies like the proto i threw it seriously stomps on the toes of the MD2 and the Squall being halfway in their HSS and LSS and probably distance too. I really hope that at least one of mine is the halfway point for those sweet discs as it would best both of them for my tastes. I thought of a difference in glide where the Warship has an advantage to the MD2s and Squalls in the proto i threw at least. The Warship doesn't need a lot of height to push 330' for me. The Squall has long traditional mid type D like the MD2 top range in lower shots and thrown higher i get it to Leo/TB distances or almost. I only have one throw under the belt with the proto Warship but flying apexing at 9' hyzered 2 degrees after the initial flip it was only a couple of feet shy of 330'. For me that is the easiest to aim and throw and straightest 330'ish mid toss ever. I rarely throw any mid that far and need to get the height and nose angle just right and often the hyzer flip too so it is a low percentage shot with other discs. It may well not be that with the Warship because that is a familiar height for laser drives with drivers for me and that is the most thrown shot for me. I've thrown many more of those than i've done putts. YMMV and who knows about the production discs? The comment i heard at the shop was that this might well be the first good disc Westside has produced. Tough standards because i quite like the high PLH tall dome VIP Kings.

Frank Delicious said:
...The speed of fairway drivers has changed over the last couple of years and discs like the gazelle and cyclone are getting thrown less and less as the eagle/teebird become the standard speed for fairway drivers...

I agree that this is what is happening, but I don't think it is always the wisest thing to do. Of course a lot depends on the courses you play, the shot distances, your throwing abilities, etc..

The past few weeks I've been keeping a Stalker, Cyclone, and a Teebird in my bag for practice rounds, and there is a HUGE difference. The Cyclone is the best of the three for golf, since it is much easier to control the distance, since it has a natural tendency to hyzer out and snuggle up to the pin. The Stalker keeps running straight, and sometimes I'm not sure when it is going to stop when I'm throwing it with more power. The Teebird (or Eagle) is another story entirely, I can't use it for shots under 330' or so, it is simply a very long very fast-flying driver. And it doesn't slow down and settle be the basket, it also has a tendency to run off without a leash. It is way beyond the mid-range discs, and (at least for me) there is definitely a big gap between the TB and a Roc. When I think of the TB, I don't think about how much further it flies than my mid-ranges (60'-80' depending on the line), I think about how much shorter it is than my max distance wide-winged drivers (only 30'-ish shorter). So for me, on the scale of mid-range to high-speed driver, the Teebird (/Eagle) is definitely falling on the very long side of the spectrum. This is semantics, of course, and we could go in circles forever on this kind of topic, but at least for me fairway drivers should be defined in a way that they are about 30'-40' operational distance longer than mid-ranges, and I think they occupy a useful gap between discs like the Teebird/Eagle and discs like the Roc/Aftershock/Buzzz.

JHern said:
Frank Delicious said:
...The speed of fairway drivers has changed over the last couple of years and discs like the gazelle and cyclone are getting thrown less and less as the eagle/teebird become the standard speed for fairway drivers...

The Teebird (or Eagle) is another story entirely, I can't use it for shots under 330' or so, it is simply a very long very fast-flying driver.

Really?

While i do agree that both are very long and capable of reaching distance driver lengths, I feel that both power down easily (200-275) and can be made to fly straight and naturally hyzer out at the end.

Teebirds and Eagles work at a pretty wide range of speeds.

JHern said:
The Teebird (or Eagle) is another story entirely, I can't use it for shots under 330' or so, it is simply a very long very fast-flying driver

Try throwing with hyzer? Teebirds are hard to range on flat shots, but beefy Eagles are easier. I agree there is a pretty substantial gap between the TB and Roc.

I can definitely range my eagles on shorter shots to about 250' or so (throwing them 350'~ naturally)

Flipflat said:
64045_10150597782513207_537428206_9357581_795687524_n.jpg

hey look, it's a buzzz
Ha ha those are on a motel 6 bed