• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Titanium (now with pics)

juju said:
Looks like Emac's signature. BTW, I want a stack of Ti Buzzz.
It looks nothing like emacs sig. Also notice the nuke to the right of it has the same sig. It's Nate Doss.

swel304 said:
juju said:
Looks like Emac's signature. BTW, I want a stack of Ti Buzzz.
It looks nothing like emacs sig. Also notice the nuke to the right of it has the same sig. It's Nate Doss.

D'ohkay, but I was talking about the Green Buzzz SS.

I also just noticed it has "nate doss" printed directly under the sig! Doh! lol

i cant make out anything at all on the green one so you may be right.

turso said:
Can't justify using Stalkers, even if the plastic would be sweet.

But it fits so nicely between the drivers and mids in your sig...

I'll probably buy one if I go into the shop and I see one that's dead sexy. I've been using Teebirds and Buzzzes for all the stuff the Stalker would do buttttt the PD has invaded my bag, and everyone is sucking the FD wang, so I could see myself at least trying a PD/FD/Stalker/Wasp/Buzzz/Meteor line up.

CatPredator said:
turso said:
Can't justify using Stalkers, even if the plastic would be sweet.

But it fits so nicely between the drivers and mids in your sig...

I'll probably buy one if I go into the shop and I see one that's dead sexy. I've been using Teebirds and Buzzzes for all the stuff the Stalker would do buttttt the PD has invaded my bag, and everyone is sucking the FD wang, so I could see myself at least trying a PD/FD/Stalker/Wasp/Buzzz/Meteor line up.

Comet's so straight for me up to a long distance that I don't really have a gap to fill there.

Stalkers do overlap with a lot of different discs. Sorta have to wedge it into a weird spot...

I've only thrown a 170 FR Stalker, so I'm not up on what they all fly like, but the one I threw was nice. Didn't seem to be as crappy as it's reputation on the internet would lead you to believe. I'm curious to see how the Ti's come out.

stalkers aren't bad discs it just came out too late in the game for what it does. The stalker needed to come out 10 years ago. If it had, it would have a big following of people. But now no one really uses those short driver/long mid discs anymore like the stalker or saber or whatever the DGA one is, the squall I think. It is just the evolution of the game.

Frank Delicious said:
stalkers aren't bad discs it just came out too late in the game for what it does. The stalker needed to come out 10 years ago. If it had, it would have a big following of people. But now no one really uses those short driver/long mid discs anymore like the stalker or saber or whatever the DGA one is, the squall I think. It is just the evolution of the game.
Yep. Squall is a disc that I really like to throw, but apart from liking it I can't find a reason to put it in the bag...

I figured the Stalker might find a home in the bags of people throwing the Striker/River or PD/FD combo. I know the classic argument is that it's easy enough to power down these drivers, and that the Stalker isn't that much longer than MD2/Axis/Buzzz type mids, but if the Ti's mold up with some decent glide, good HSS, and fairly neutral LSS, I could see it filling a gap there. You do kind of have to try to like the Stalker though, where as some discs really stand out as being awesome...

The one thing you can say that's really unique about it is the shape. I'm fondling the one and only Stalker I've found and it does feel nice in my hand. Been a while since I've thrown it.

jubuttib said:
Frank Delicious said:
Yep. Squall is a disc that I really like to throw, but apart from liking it I can't find a reason to put it in the bag...

Low powered approach stand stills or sneaking speed steps into tight tunnels. I can throw it farther than the Comets and being smaller diameter it has a better chance of penetrating obstacles. I know from the performance of others that i can't get clean releases out of the Comets at full power and the Squall needs way less initial hyzer to flip to flat for me. I don't recall the exact D that i can throw the Comet flat without turn but it can't be more than 250' i think.

The Squall is less HSS and wind handling and has nowhere near the OAT handling of the non flipping Stalkers. Some Stalkers flip when new some don't i've been told. I only have the non flipping kind of Stalkers.

Not knowing anything about how Ti changes shapes and flights of discs i can't say if i'm expecting any disc in Ti. If there are non cosmetic benefits to any mold i'm stoked knowing i love some Discraft molds and carry Buzzzes and Nukes all the time and could drop in the Z/Glo Z Stalker any day. I've been disappointed with the grip of the FLX plastic for the last two years vs what it was in the winter initially. Ti FLX with great winter grip anyone? Grip and visibility from the snow=money.

CatPredator said:
Stalkers do overlap with a lot of different discs...

Mainly the Buzzz. This is the main problem for me, the Stalker can go maybe 30' further, but the Buzzz is more controllable over its entire range. It doesn't mean the Stalker isn't fun as hell to throw...

CatPredator said:
...Didn't seem to be as crappy as it's reputation on the internet would lead you to believe...

Really? I've never heard anything negative about the Stalker, myself. Of course, I never read all of the idiotic nonsense at DGCR. Only thing I ever hear is that it overlaps too much with other discs, which is pretty much what you're hearing at DGR.

It's good to pair mids and fairway drivers to cover that little extra gap in range, but I think they shouldn't both be one-trick ponies that perform the same trick. I like to have either a versatile mid and stable fairway driver, or a stable mid and a versatile fairway driver. For example, Aftershock-Stalker or Buzzz-Cyclone. The only difference is that the former allows you to finish straighter on the longer shots for which you wouldn't pull out a driver. I go with Buzzz-Cyclone combo typically because I think they are both easier to control, at least for me.

Note that I won't call a Teebird a fairway driver, I think it is too fast/long for that category, and is definitely way faster than the Stalker.

JR said:
...I only have the non flipping kind of Stalkers...

These are the flat tops. Same with the Cyclone, Buzzz, Roc, etc., the flatter the top, the more purely stable and OAT resistant.

CatPredator said:
...You do kind of have to try to like the Stalker though, where as some discs really stand out as being awesome...

A super-stable straight-finishing disc doesn't seem like something you'd have to try hard to like...

CatPredator said:
I'm fondling the one and only Stalker I've found and it does feel nice in my hand...

I have a gummy crystal clear Z Stalker (just the foil Discraft stamp on it) that I salivate over constantly, can't wait to throw it one of these days, once I can die it or something so that I could find it after the throw!

JR said:
Low powered approach stand stills or sneaking speed steps into tight tunnels. I can throw it farther than the Comets and being smaller diameter it has a better chance of penetrating obstacles. I know from the performance of others that i can't get clean releases out of the Comets at full power and the Squall needs way less initial hyzer to flip to flat for me. I don't recall the exact D that i can throw the Comet flat without turn but it can't be more than 250' i think.
I can definitely get the Squall out farther than a Comet, but whereas the Comet is a point and shoot type of disc, the Squall needs to be flipped to go straight and a helix to go really far. It's also not anywhere near as good on short throws as the Comet. For anything involving tunnels I'd rather grab the Comet, or even a seasoned D-MD2.

It definitely suffers from the same problem a lot of tweener mids tend to, namely that in some parts it behaves more like a driver than a mid. It's straight cruising speed range (and usable power range) is narrower than with most pure mids. Overpower it and it develops a pretty severe turn. Underpower it and it changes it's behavior to more overstable than you'd think pretty quickly. Still, I do like the Squall.

Like everyone has already said it just overlaps too much with discs like the Buzzz. I also enjoy throwing the stalker, but it has no spot in my bag. I think the only time it would fit would be if I became a Roc thrower. And I don't see that happening.

I do think it should be one of the first discs that gets recommended to beginners though.

Frank Delicious said:
...now no one really uses those short driver/long mid discs anymore like the stalker or saber or whatever the DGA one is, the squall I think...It is just the evolution of the game.

I think what you're saying is that people prefer to use their mid-range discs, if they can...and if they can't use their mid-ranges, then they pull out drivers instead. But this really depends on the course and the players. A lot of pros use these slower fairway drivers...I've seen Nate Doss throw one on several occasions. Also, Paige Pierce actually uses her Stalkers quite a bit. You can see her throwing one in the Memorial footage last week, she parked that one hole at the Memorial on the insane windy day (360', with 330' of that over water and a ferocious headwind) using a Ti Stalker. It was a phenomenal throw, and a superb flight (finishing straight and flat, whereas the over-stable finishing throws of other players were getting legs in the wind). Eric McCabe was commenting with Dave Greenwell when she threw that shot, and he made sure to mention that it was her signature Ti Stalker. But if you want to make a throw like that then you'll need to be precise and ultra-clean in your form.

Anyways, I think it is still a good idea to throw the slowest disc you can comfortably throw for a shot. And for a lot of shots, a Stalker is going to fit the bill more often than you realize. For a while after I first acquired it, I used my FR Stalker extensively, and I found it to be useful for a lot of shots and with a wide distance range of operation. I played several rounds at a longer course with just a Stalker and a putter, and it was fun. But then I found the Buzzz...

I bought a FR Stalker when they released them and I apparently got one of the ones with crap for glide. It was like a Buzzz that needed to be thrown harder and yielded no distance bonus, it just got there a little faster. I've not felt the need revisit the mold since. Some of the local guys love the Stalker and it works well for them because they will rarely drive with a mid so a mid-like driver helps them considerably.

I'll probably grab a Ti Force when they are readily available.

JHern said:
Note that I won't call a Teebird a fairway driver, I think it is too fast/long for that category, and is definitely way faster than the Stalker.

Driver classes in disc golf are not static...I'd agree with your assertion 10 years ago, but today the Teebird is the quintessential fairway driver. Slower drivers are now tweeners (and as most tweeners, are not finding their way into a lot bags today). I see the Stalker as best at either the lower or higher end of the power spectrum...Basically for people as mentioned before who do not drive 300' with their mid, or for people who have power to burn and can easily throw it up to 400' on a straight line.