• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Underground?

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So has anyone applied for the DC Underground? There isn't a ton of information here:

https://www.discraft.com/underground

So I'm wondering if anyone has applied and was accepted yet or could provide any further information. My impression is, they are not necessarily just looking for really good players but people with some personality too. But that's just a guess. Since I already throw an all DC bag I thought I'd fill it out just for fun.

-Dave

They have already filled out that team pretty well since they announced it back at Ledgestone. I chatted with Wes somewhat in passing about the team recently, he said the criteria was really high to make the team. They really want a social media presence, it isn't necessarily about your rating or how well you play. They are looking for people making a difference in their DG communities.

My guess would be similar to what Uli was saying on this weeks Smashboxx Aftershow about a 1000 rated player that TD's 3-4 tournaments a year is more valuable than a 1010 rated touring player that is just playing and not being a brand ambassador.

I am glad you all brought this up. I put in an app last month and I haven't heard anything. I run a couple charity tournaments and was hoping for some good support or partnerships for those tournaments from discraft. I won't hold my breath.

I am glad you all brought this up. I put in an app last month and I haven't heard anything. I run a couple charity tournaments and was hoping for some good support or partnerships for those tournaments from discraft. I won't hold my breath.

If you contact them about the tournaments specifically, you may get somewhere, but not necessarily on The Underground Team.

I am sure this is a great way to grow the sport, but I am not into the social media stuff. DGCR is my social media. I am more than happy to focus my "grow the sport" attention on running a league and active involvement in my local club. If Discraft Underground drives new players to these endevours, that would be great. We will see how much it does. Discraft has been great to work with, in regards to my club. They have promised wonderful support and sponsorship to growing the game in this area.

I noticed they are looking for people good with social media, and decided not to apply. I don't do twitter or instagram, and don't take facebook seriously.

Plus, it's been my experience anything advertised or hyped heavily on facebook is usually low quality.

Plus, it's been my experience anything advertised or hyped heavily on facebook is usually low quality.

I haven't seen a ton of different Underground content out there yet, but the Underground Interviews on youtube have been mostly good so far. There have been a couple of disc reviews out there as well. Honestly, basic stuff that has been missing from Discraft the last several years.

They have a junior team member that is making some cute/funny videos. (https://www.facebook.com/bulldogdiscgolf/) Vincent Goodman.

I applied on day 1 and never heard anything back. The only people that I have seen get on there have had past sponsorships already. I wouldn't expect anything if you're just a regular joe like I am.

Doesn't really change what I'll throw or branded clothing I'll wear when I play. I just won't be obligated to post on social media about it (even though I do from time to time on instagram/fb)

I am sure this is a great way to grow the sport, but I am not into the social media stuff. DGCR is my social media. I am more than happy to focus my "grow the sport" attention on running a league and active involvement in my local club. If Discraft Underground drives new players to these endevours, that would be great. We will see how much it does. Discraft has been great to work with, in regards to my club. They have promised wonderful support and sponsorship to growing the game in this area.

Many of the videos are on youtube as well.

I applied on day 1 and never heard anything back. The only people that I have seen get on there have had past sponsorships already. I wouldn't expect anything if you're just a regular joe like I am.

Doesn't really change what I'll throw or branded clothing I'll wear when I play. I just won't be obligated to post on social media about it (even though I do from time to time on instagram/fb)

I did as well, but I wasn't expecting anything either.

My 9 yr old daughter was picked up on Discraft Underground a couple weeks ago. She's the first Junior girl on the team. She has been throwing Discraft since she started playing last year. Aside from the disc sponsorship its more about social media presence. Something new to her and I. Either way looking forward to this 2019 Season.

https://www.instagram.com/regularzoey/

My 9 yr old daughter was picked up on Discraft Underground a couple weeks ago. She's the first Junior girl on the team. She has been throwing Discraft since she started playing last year. Aside from the disc sponsorship its more about social media presence. Something new to her and I. Either way looking forward to this 2019 Season.

https://www.instagram.com/regularzoey/

I love the one year later improvement video! She crushes now! My wife is due in a couple of months and what I really want is a disc golf daughter.

Our club founder applied and is now a member of the Discraft Underground team. He runs a weekly glow league (for 5+ years), runs our club and we host 7-8 tournaments a year with 4-5 being PDGA sanctioned events. We are also members of the MDGO for however many years running. He has thrown Discraft ever since I met him so this was right up his alley. Not sure about social media presence as I dont partake myself. :thmbup:

I love the one year later improvement video! She crushes now! My wife is due in a couple of months and what I really want is a disc golf daughter.

This last tournament she was in. She had a mixed card from M50 down to Novice/Rec players, in 4 out of the 21 holes she out drove them. Its been amazing watching her pick up disc golfing so quick. Sadly I have to admit I don't out drive her by much lol. Lately she has been throwing 160-165g discs and still getting pretty good distance with them.

We also run a bimonthly meet up group for kids called the Junior Chain Smashers here in the Austin,Tx area. Its been slower due to the weather but our next meet up we should have a great turn out. We are feeding all who attend as well as having some prizes to give away to promote the group more. I recently purchased shirts for the ones who have been attending and now with those shirts we are getting more interests.

This last tournament she was in. She had a mixed card from M50 down to Novice/Rec players, in 4 out of the 21 holes she out drove them. Its been amazing watching her pick up disc golfing so quick. Sadly I have to admit I don't out drive her by much lol. Lately she has been throwing 160-165g discs and still getting pretty good distance with them.

We also run a bimonthly meet up group for kids called the Junior Chain Smashers here in the Austin,Tx area. Its been slower due to the weather but our next meet up we should have a great turn out. We are feeding all who attend as well as having some prizes to give away to promote the group more. I recently purchased shirts for the ones who have been attending and now with those shirts we are getting more interests.

Been following her on IG, it's crazy at 9 what's she's able to do with a disc, if she sticks with it it's gonna be something amazing. You got any of the shirts you can ship up here? I'll buy one.

Been following her on IG, it's crazy at 9 what's she's able to do with a disc, if she sticks with it it's gonna be something amazing. You got any of the shirts you can ship up here? I'll buy one.

Junior Chain Smasher shirt? I will be putting in another order in the next couple of weeks.

She picked up disc golfing really quick. She really doesn't play as much. She can crush throws but struggles a bit on technical shots like tunnel ones. She is getting better though. She can flick too but doesn't practice it much that she doesn't have confidence on doing it at tournaments.