• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance increasing with temperature!

It is supposed to be in the upper 70's and around 80 this week - I'm hoping to see that distance increase as well. I'm already throwing a little farther this spring than I was at the end of last summer (with better accuracy to boot), so hopefully loose muscles and more humidity in the air will let my discs glide out there longer.

JHern said:
jubuttib said:
Also water doesn't truly dissolve into the air, but does mix with it.

Dissolution=complete mixing down to the molecular scale. Yes, water does dissolve into air.
Huh, could have sworn that my textbook had a different opinion. Though it's been about 6 years since I was at it and am more than a little rusty with my chemistry. So yeah, never mind my ramblings.

mafa said:
8000 km NE from Florida, temperature 2 C and relative humidity 100%?
8300 kilometers (thereabouts), 0 C and only 95%. =)

JHern said:
Humidity is way way way more important than temperature. When its humid, you have more light weight H2O molecules occupying the same volume relative to N2 molecules. The weight difference is extreme, and brings the air density down quite a lot. And air density is the most relevant factor about the air for governing disc dynamics.

Lower weight molecules=lower density=lower air resistance. All discs will fly like faster versions of themselves.

Very true.
I hate it when Baseball announcers say, "Its really humid tonight, so the players are going to have a hard time hitting home runs." :roll:
I just shake my head.

But, yeah the warmer weather is nice to throw in, my back and elbow feel a lot looser in it and the discs flies farther.