• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play in cold weather?

Nothaz

Birdie Member
I have only been playing since around May or June so I have yet to see harsh weather in my disc golf career. I am most likely going to play at least once a week through winter and was wondering if you guys are sticking it out like me, or packing up for DG hibernation.

I play all winter long - but I don't really disc golf in the snow. To easy to loose discs(I'm not tying ribbons to my frisbees or any of that other ridiculous shit).

Last winter it only snowed a handful of times in Maryland though so it wasn't a big deal. I'm sure if it was something I had to deal with all winter long I would do the chalk or ribbon thing.

There are plenty of other fun activities to do when it snows though - like drink beers and watch football :mrgreen:

I run a 14 person per team, 16 team league challenge during the winter months in the Northeast.

So, yeah, we play in pretty much anything.

No option for me. In LA, the coldest it gets is 50ish during the day. So I can literally play year round barring intense wind or rain.

Animix said:
No option for me. In LA, the coldest it gets is 50ish during the day. So I can literally play year round barring intense wind or rain.

Added an option and it deleted the votes, oh well...

Last winter was the first one I had seen sense I started playing. I really give credit to playing in the winter to the improvement in the game (as well as this site). Starting last summer I had no rythm to my run up and it was very akward. Running up on ice or snow is so difficult I really had to slow down and be solid in my footing, which inevitably slowed down my entire throw and became so much more accurate. The progress I made last winter really showed up in this year. I went from being a noob that no one wanted play with last year to playing in the pro division this year and finishing 5th in total points this summer. Playing a couple times a week in the winter really helps as you start playing in the spring. It takes people some time to get their form back if they just stay in doors all winter. Can't forget about how cool it was to see my brand new Z flick split in half on the first throw as well (15 bucks well spent).

Speaking of cold. I am going to try an organize a 9 hole tournament on the ice this year. Its not going to be too tough. But it should be gimmicky enough to work.

Solbo said:
I run a 14 person per team, 16 team league challenge during the winter months in the Northeast.

Yup, ANYTHING! Even in a freekin blizzard like last year's pool play event at West Thompson.

We don't get a ton of Precip around here in the winter, so there's a good amount of guys that play year round, including myself.

edit: I'm not playing if there's more than an inch or two of snow on the ground though, lost too many discs doing that the first winter I played.

Solbo said:

hell yea brutha.

gotta play in bad weather up here, otherwise you don't play.

I do, but not like these guys do.

I thought I saw in one of the old Disc Golf Magazine articles about McMurdo Station that when there's snow on the ground, they attach a streamer with a fishing swivel so you can see the tail coming out of where it went into the snow.

Last winter was my first winter playing and it worked out well. Few enough people around here play that the snow isn't trampled and it's easy to find the mark left by the disc in the snow. The worst part was that the cement tee pads weren't in yet, so teeing off was an adventure each time. I prefer deep snow to rain, mud and wind, and the cold can be neutralized fairly easily.
Last year I won an non-sanctioned tournament in February in knee-deep snow. Then took second in a sanctioned tournament in early march where the whole course was covered in ice. My rating has been steadily dropping since then.

*looks in pants, doesn't see little girl parts*

Yep I play since I'm a man.

seriously though, it doesn't get that cold here in NC.