• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Does Anyone Still Cycle Rocs?

I went the whole different molds for different shots route for a while, ended up amassing a crate full of mids I never truly stuck with or really learned. It's easy to just keep buying new molds in different plastic types with a new mid coming out every other week, but at some point, enough is enough and I went back to KC and DX Roc's. I just trust them and a seasoned Roc is really an amazing disc.

To add to 3P's comment, who here has started with a DX cycle, had a KC in the bag for beef duties that finally lost its stability, and eventually started cycling KCs because they liked how they seasoned?

I've definitely noticed a stability (and glide) difference between DX and KCs that seems to make KC a better option for a wider stability spectrum. Is there a reason, beyond plastic durability, to take the time to go with a KC cycle?

Lol...if somebody says they are cycling Rocs but have a combination of Rancho's and Roc3's and vRocs, they don't know what cycling is. I actually stopped considering it 'cycling' when I started throwing KC Pros in the OS slot becasue I wasn't moving them down to the stable slot when they were beat in. I was still using DX Rocs there. The only 'cycle' I had left was from the stable to understable slot, which isn't really a Roc cycle.
Agreed. Mold minimization is just often thought to be synonymous with cycling.

I still stand by my statement when it comes to cycling Star Destroyers. People are hoarding all kinds of different Destroyers, 'cause they want to minimize the number of molds. However, when you compare the Destrulcans, Pop tops, SDS and whatnot, you will end up with a bunch of drivers that could be from as many different molds.

I have nothing against cycling or this minimization. Sometimes it just feels like people are inventing reasons why they really should throw only Rocs / Destros.

Given enough throws, all plastics wears and loses stability. The rub is whether or not you embrace the change/wear. If you are the type of person that expects that Z BuzzzSS to be perfectly dead straight forever, you are going to be bummed out when it starts to turnover. I like wear in my discs (I'm carrying multiples of Pures, Comets, Patriots, Teebirds, Valks and Destroyers) but I don't play enough to beat my stable discs all the way to covering really understable.

BUZZ, and Truth for all my shots ATM... considering some crazy OS Meathook mid but havent buckled down and bought one. No thanks on beating in discs btw... I don't even like the base plastic for putters...

To add to 3P's comment, who here has started with a DX cycle, had a KC in the bag for beef duties that finally lost its stability, and eventually started cycling KCs because they liked how they seasoned?

I've definitely noticed a stability (and glide) difference between DX and KCs that seems to make KC a better option for a wider stability spectrum. Is there a reason, beyond plastic durability, to take the time to go with a KC cycle?

Yep, this is exactly how my Roc cycle started. I just had two DX in the bag, after a few hits the more stable one got straight, brought in a KC for more stability, after some time the KC got straight, put another one in the bag.

I cycle KC and DX Rancho Rocs.

I've tried and liked a lot of other midranges (some of my favorites: Buzzz, Comet, Warship, Tursas, Fuse, Stingray, Panther, Gator, Drone, Meteor, QMS, Sentinel), but I always come back to the Roc cycle.

I can see why someone unfamiliar with Rocs wouldn't understand liking to cycle them, because when I first started throwing Rocs, I thought they were very uncomfortable in the hand. But the more I stuck with them, and started to get the "cycle" going, the more I started to love the way a Roc flies, and how versatile they are for line shaping.

But, to each their own. There are a lot of great midranges out there today.

I can see why someone unfamiliar with Rocs wouldn't understand liking to cycle them, because when I first started throwing Rocs, I thought they were very uncomfortable in the hand. But the more I stuck with them, and started to get the "cycle" going, the more I started to love the way a Roc flies, and how versatile they are for line shaping.
But, to each their own. There are a lot of great midranges out there today.

Very true, what you say there.

IMHO cycling is just fine, and there are some positives to it, such as having that same familiar mold in one's grip when throwing the disc.

For me, I have two issues with cycling: first is that if one loses a disc in the cycle, especially one that has been seasoned in for a long time, then it's not easy to just go and get a replacement; one has to work to get a replacement seasoned in.

My second issue, related to the first, is that I vastly prefer premium plastics to DX plastic. I like Gold Line and Star, and Champion has become a better friend for me as I've gone along. GL wears in slightly faster than Star, which takes a good while.

I have yet to break in a Champion disc: my Pink Panther, which is more OS than my blue Panther and Panthers in general, remains true to its slightly OS form despite being thrown on spike hyzers and crashing into the ground, crashing hard into trees, and sometimes being thrown into the chains on putts. And this is after nearly a year of service on this one disc...

So for me, the time it takes to wear in a disc is so long, cycling doesn't even come in to the picture (except for in-the-circle putters in baseline plastic). I spend two years getting a Star Roc3 beat into understability, then it goes into a lake and bye-bye... that is just too sad a thought for me to put into actual practice...

Last, but not least: the Roc3 (and other Rocs, I'm sure) is a fantastic disc, but the grip has never been comfortable for me. I throw it because it works; comfort in all but putting is secondary. Having said that, my VCobra is much more comfortable in my paw and does what I need for straight shots; ergo, why not use it?

Again, nothing wrong with cycling for those who do it and like to do it, but my own way (so far) is to find molds to suit the shots I need, then get those discs in high-quality premium plastics and go with them for the long-term.

Yep, this is exactly how my Roc cycle started. I just had two DX in the bag, after a few hits the more stable one got straight, brought in a KC for more stability, after some time the KC got straight, put another one in the bag.

I really love the matte KC plastic that's out right now. I want to say it's closer to the First Release McPro plastic (Aviars and Roc3s) than any KC plastic I've fondled in the last few years. Waxy but firm and super grippy.

I'm in a damned if you and damned if you don't situation since I want to cycle KC but don't play enough to really make much of a dent in stability very quickly. I want a turnover KC Roc NOW!!!

Losing a straight or understable DX/KC is devastating for sure. There are ways to quickly get one there again, but I totally understand the premium plug-in and play approach to midranges.

For me, I have two issues with cycling: first is that if one loses a disc in the cycle, especially one that has been seasoned in for a long time, then it's not easy to just go and get a replacement; one has to work to get a replacement seasoned in.

Well, the reason I started throwing Comets was because I broke my most beat in DX Roc, and didn't have another one ready yet. It's worked exactly for what I wanted them, a straight to understable disc in premium plastic, and it's lasted many years in that slot.

You'll see most disc cyclers have either a very overstable or understable disc to compliment their main midrange. It's usually not an all or nothing kind of thing, unless someone has been committed to seasoning discs for decades, and has multiple backups of beat in discs.

Well, it's lovely to see how many people are still working with these critters. After reading everything, I have to say my only real complaint about cycling Rocs is the lack of premium plastic. Not only do I love the feel of the good stuff - especially from DD and Lat64 - but I've destroyed a few perfectly good Rocs in one terrible throw. The trees on my home courses serve very well to season base plastic but a direct hit off the tee can often send a good DX Roc straight to its grave.

Overall though, I throw slower discs better. I use Judges from the tee and for approaches constantly. They're one of my primary discs. I also love Suspects and Harps. I throw speed 7 drivers like Rivals and Patriots farther than speed 9s. Rocs fit my style because they're slower than many modern mids. I've loved the Truth since day 1 but it's a little too fast. I can get it out almost as far as some of my FW drivers. The Roc needs a little height but it's meticulous, plodding approach is what I'm looking for. Even a Roc3 is slower easier for me to use than other speed 5s.

I still think it's funny when people say their DX Roc is useless or garbage after one tree hit.

Send them my way.

I'll throw them.

Was thinking the same thing. Arm speeds must be supersonic around these parts.

Or the trees look like these

thorny_tree_by_sugoidave-d64toc1.jpg
:D

I am surprised cause my DXs took some pretty good trees and they still had tons of life left.

That looks like trees on several of our courses around here. They're pretty awesome, but I wouldn't say that premium blends fare any better against those damn things.