• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver/Mid ratio

waynewf

Double Eagle Member
I recently put my current lineup out there for critique and was really surprised that I got so much feedback asking me "why so many mids?"

I currently Carry 6 drivers and 4 mids, which is really 3.5 mids since I carry a Buzzz and Buzzz-GT, which really aren't that different, but in all the critiques I thought I'd get, "why so many mids?" was not one of them.

So what do most of you carry and what do you think "proper" ratios should look like?

I use 4 mids, 3 putters, and 6-7 drivers. I could get away with only 4 drivers if I wanted to.

I just picked up a Vector to try out as well, so I'm going to have like a 5/5 ratio this weekend.

Do you mean 4 mids, as in total discs or four separate molds?

When fully loaded, I'm carrying basically 4 discs in each slot: putter, mid, fairway, and distance. Plus and overstable and roller discs.

Lightly loaded is 2 in each plus the overstable. I drop the roller disc.

Last edited:
it's not really about the number of mids, it's about the number of molds. I think 2 (or less) mid molds is ideal. One that starts out reasonably overstable and can beat in straight (so you have two of the same disc, one beat one fresh), and another mold that is stable to slightly understable, that you can have a beat version of.

my poison is roc+comet

I carry 4-5 mids. Only two molds though, buzzz and wasp.

DD Flat Z Buzzz (my go-to, dependable)
BS Buzzz (more glide, little under-stable)
ESP Buzzz (my turnover or anny)
Old run Z Wasp (my work horse)

Sometimes I throw in a Cryztal Buzzz fer fun....

2 Putters, One Zone, 13 drivers

1 mid and 13 drivers? Do those 13 drivers really give you 13 different lines/distances? I would suggest that if you are so versatile with that single mid, perhaps there is a driver mold out there which you would also be equally as proficient and dramatically cut down on your number of molds.

I recently put my current lineup out there for critique and was really surprised that I got so much feedback asking me "why so many mids?"

I currently Carry 6 drivers and 4 mids, which is really 3.5 mids since I carry a Buzzz and Buzzz-GT, which really aren't that different, but in all the critiques I thought I'd get, "why so many mids?" was not one of them.

So what do most of you carry and what do you think "proper" ratios should look like?

Key: P/M/D

I'm trying to get in here before BD throws out some 20/50/30 nonsense :p

My numbers usually break down like 15/35/50. If over half of your bag is drivers, I think you are really missing out on learning your putters and mids. Try spending a little more time with them and see what they can do for your game.

3 Teebirds
3 Firebirds
3 Valkyries
2 Destroyers
=
11 Drivers

4 Rocs
1 Buzzzz
1 Whippet
=
5 Mids

2 Omegas
1 Rhyno
=
2 Putters

Key: P/M/D

I'm trying to get in here before BD throws out some 20/50/30 nonsense :p

My numbers usually break down like 15/35/50. If over half of your bag is drivers, I think you are really missing out on learning your putters and mids. Try spending a little more time with them and see what they can do for your game.

I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that I reduce the number of driver molds I carry and increase/focus more on mids/putters? I actually do do that when I play, my ratio is what it is and I do have some overlap in both the mids and drivers.

3 Teebirds
3 Firebirds
3 Valkyries
2 Destroyers
=
11 Drivers

4 Rocs
1 Buzzzz
1 Whippet
=
5 Mids

2 Omegas
1 Rhyno
=
2 Putters

Is the Whippet a mid? or a driver? This could be a new thread:)

My bag is a little unorthodox, but there's something for every shot. 1 mid, 6 drivers.
EchoStar Katana-for hitting trees
Surge SS-for anhyzers, long putts, and drifting hyzers
OL Vision-For the long shots
GL River-for the bends and longer shots
OL Striker-straights, thumbers, sliders
2010 AceRace- great for mids and putts