• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver/Mid ratio

I think the critique was on the lack of clarity regarding what each disc was for. Carrying a Buzzz, Buzzz GT, and Coyote seems redundant. Carrying a Gator, 2 Rocs, a Mako, and a Stingray might seem less redundant but involve more molds.

I carry 2 putters, 1 Zone, 4 mids, 4 fairway drivers, and 5 distance drivers.

4 putters (2 are my putting putters, 2 are driving)
4 mids (3 Rocs, Fuse)
7 Drivers

I know there is a ton of refinement and minimalization for sure.

I think the critique was on the lack of clarity regarding what each disc was for. Carrying a Buzzz, Buzzz GT, and Coyote seems redundant. Carrying a Gator, 2 Rocs, a Mako, and a Stingray might seem less redundant but involve more molds.

I carry 2 putters, 1 Zone, 4 mids, 4 fairway drivers, and 5 distance drivers.

What's redundant about the mid molds?
Buzzz - Main mid, straight, long, etc.
Buzzz GT - very close to, but more overstable than the regular Buzzz....
Coyote - May be some overlap on the Buzzz here, but the Coyote is way more understable and works well for navigating changes in elevation, and has a lot less glide than the Buzzz.
Stingray - straight up, understable annhyzer disc.....

How would carrying 2 Rocs and a Mako make more sense and be less redundant? I think you may have said the opposite of what you meant to say.
And the Gator? Terrible disc....no glide, drops like a shoe.....you need something overstable to really get around a corner, just throw a whippet or viper....

What's redundant about the mid molds?
Buzzz - Main mid, straight, long, etc.
Buzzz GT - very close to, but more overstable than the regular Buzzz....
Coyote - May be some overlap on the Buzzz here, but the Coyote is way more understable and works well for navigating changes in elevation, and has a lot less glide than the Buzzz.
Stingray - straight up, understable annhyzer disc.....

How would carrying 2 Rocs and a Mako make more sense and be less redundant? I think you may have said the opposite of what you meant to say.
And the Gator? Terrible disc....no glide, drops like a shoe.....you need something overstable to really get around a corner, just throw a whippet or viper....

My point is the Buzzz, Buzzz-GT, and Coyote are very very similar discs. If your Coyote is way more understable than a Buzzz, it's because it's beat up, which is fine, but you didn't specify in the original post of your original bag suggestion thread.

Your feelings about the Gator aside, each disc in my hypothetical mid line-up falls into the following categories: glideless utility, overstable wind fighting mid, overstable mid with some fade beat out of it, dead straight, and turnover. I'm not saying you need all of those options, but it's common to see them in many players bags. Your line up looked more like, straight straight straight flippy without further explanation, which is why some may have wondered what was up with it.

I posted without looking at my bag and just trying to think about what I have in my bag.

When I carry my Fade Tourney bag, I have 4 mids (Hornet, Wasp, Buzzz x2) and 8 drivers including fairways. I also carry 4 putters (Aviar x3 for approaches/drives and Magic for putting).

My point is the Buzzz, Buzzz-GT, and Coyote are very very similar discs. If your Coyote is way more understable than a Buzzz, it's because it's beat up, which is fine, but you didn't specify in the original post of your original bag suggestion thread.

Your feelings about the Gator aside, each disc in my hypothetical mid line-up falls into the following categories: glideless utility, overstable wind fighting mid, overstable mid with some fade beat out of it, dead straight, and turnover. I'm not saying you need all of those options, but it's common to see them in many players bags. Your line up looked more like, straight straight straight flippy without further explanation, which is why some may have wondered what was up with it.

Have you ever thrown a Coyote? I've got a champ, no it's not all beat up, and to be honest with you, a Coyote is a whole lot closer to a Stingray than to a Buzzz. If someone pointed out the overlap between my Coyote and Stingray, I'd agree.

I'm also not too sure about your "hypothetical mid lineup"...and I don't understand how you can love the Gator so much. Overstable? Sure it's overstable, but has no glide and falls like a stone as soon as it starts to bend...I'm sure there are certain, limited situations where that might be useful...but I still think I'd be better off tossing a Whippet or Buzzz-GT...Buzzz-GT actually behaves like a more overstable Buzzz and actually has some glide to it, unlike the Gator...

I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that I reduce the number of driver molds I carry and increase/focus more on mids/putters? I actually do do that when I play, my ratio is what it is and I do have some overlap in both the mids and drivers.

I just think that we all get a little carried away carrying this n that driver. We don't need 10 of them in the bag, and as some of the guys have posted, it's fairly common for newer players to have 10 drivers in their bag, 2 mids, and only one putter. You've played longer than I have Wayne. I don't pretend to know more than you; but there are some real benefits to be had from learning to throw a mid on those under 300' holes. I almost always use a mid on big downhill shots because they just glide forever without the big washout at the end. The guy that only uses his mids for upshot between 100' - 200' probably doesn't even think to use a mid the way I mentioned. Just my humble opinion.

2 Putters, One Zone, 13 drivers

And here is obviously the exception to the rule. Chris has told us many times that he has no problem using a Surge or a Nuke for upshots. But he has played a long time and has developed his game around the way he likes to play.

So apparently the lesson is throw whatever you want as long as you are willing to practice enough with em to get good at using them. :confused:

1 mid and 13 drivers? Do those 13 drivers really give you 13 different lines/distances? I would suggest that if you are so versatile with that single mid, perhaps there is a driver mold out there which you would also be equally as proficient and dramatically cut down on your number of molds.

Those 13 drivers are 2 different Avenger SS's, 6 Nukes of different stabilities and plastic types and 5 Surges of varying stabilities and plastics. I only use 3 different molds. I like to limit and simplify. With this bag I have shot these rated rounds in April. 994,977,994,989,982 and 1007. 2 Pro Masters wins and a 2nd in 3 "B" tiers. If I put anything new into my bag it may be a Nuke SS or a Nuke OS.

I just think that we all get a little carried away carrying this n that driver. We don't need 10 of them in the bag, and as some of the guys have posted, it's fairly common for newer players to have 10 drivers in their bag, 2 mids, and only one putter. You've played longer than I have Wayne. I don't pretend to know more than you; but there are some real benefits to be had from learning to throw a mid on those under 300' holes. I almost always use a mid on big downhill shots because they just glide forever without the big washout at the end. The guy that only uses his mids for upshot between 100' - 200' probably doesn't even think to use a mid the way I mentioned. Just my humble opinion.

No, no, no...I just didn't quite understand what you were telling me. And you are totally correct. I def have some overlap in my drivers and could easily drop 2 or 3 of them if I wanted to, but keep them in mostly because I like them and as a backup in case something just isn't working right.

Those 13 drivers are 2 different Avenger SS's, 6 Nukes of different stabilities and plastic types and 5 Surges of varying stabilities and plastics. I only use 3 different molds. I like to limit and simplify. With this bag I have shot these rated rounds in April. 994,977,994,989,982 and 1007. 2 Pro Masters wins and a 2nd in 3 "B" tiers. If I put anything new into my bag it may be a Nuke SS or a Nuke OS.

Yo! 3 molds in 13 discs? That's awesome...I've never tossed a Nuke but have a buddy who loves it.

And here is obviously the exception to the rule. Chris has told us many times that he has no problem using a Surge or a Nuke for upshots. But he has played a long time and has developed his game around the way he likes to play.

So apparently the lesson is throw whatever you want as long as you are willing to practice enough with em to get good at using them. :confused:

Just imagine me playing in tournaments against all of the old guys I play against. They are throwing their T-Birds and Rocs and Buzzzes and Comets and Cobras on 280ft holes and landing near the basket. I throw a huge hyzer skipping Nuke that jumps at the basket and goes 30 feet past. I make the putt and they miss their much closer shot. Yep, that basically sums up last weekend.

So what do most of you carry and what do you think "proper" ratios should look like?
Most of this is covered in my "How to Build a Bag" thread, but I'll chime in.

I really think it's more about the number of molds than it is the actual number of discs. The big difference between discs of the same mold of different beatnesses is fade. You can throw a more/less beat version of the same disc with more/less hyzer/anhyzer or OAT and get them to fly similarly, but the new ones will fade harder at the end of the flight.

Also, when people say discs "overlap" or are "redundant" they don't mean that they fly the same when thrown the same. They mean they can be used for the same shots. No a Coyote and Buzz don't fly exactly the same, but they're both neutral mids with minimal fade so they can perform most of the same shots as one another. You may have to throw them differently to perform those same shots, but they can do it none the less.

I think that for mids, unless you can do everything with one or two molds, you're way better off cutting down to one or two molds. I prefer one myself. If you can't do everything with those discs then there are probably some skills you're missing that could improve your game.

Putters are the same way but I feel stronger about only using one mold.

There are a couple different categories of drivers, so I think it takes more like 3-4 molds to cover everything unless you like maintaining a lot of different beatnesses of discs.

Here's what I have:

5 putters - 1 mold
2-3 mids - 1 mold
12 drivers - 5 molds

I am outside of what i need for drivers. I freely acknowledge this. I tend to carry a workable and a straight fairway driver, which is overlap, and I'm testing distance drivers to see which I like best. I don't want to go too in depth with it but it's really an even bigger mess than that. I have beat Spirits that overlap with my SOLF and Surge-SS and an X Avenger that I'm keeping just to see how it beats in. I don't have it listed up there because I don't actually throw it, but I carry a Star Destroyer just because of the name. Long story short, I have more room in my bag than I know what to do with so I fill it with "test" discs. I could probably knock it down to 2-3 molds without any problems. That's all I really use, anyway.

I guess the point of that last paragraph is that there might be reasons to carry discs outside of what's best for your development, but understanding what is best and why you're deviating can minimize the "damage."

Beats me? I carry six, or seven if you count my Classic Roc. I may carry that many, but all my discs are course and weather/wind dependant. To each his own.

2 putters - magic/wiz
3 mids, 1 mold - DX roc (understable, straight, new)
5 fairway drivers - DX leopard (beat/turnover, straight), Glow Champ Gazelle, DX Teebird, Star Teebird

There isn't really a right way to do it. You do what suits you. I'd rather see players with too many mids than too many drivers anyway.

Personally I go with the rule of two. Two putter molds, two mid molds, two control driver molds, two max D driver molds. For me these are what's in my sig + PD2 and DD2.