• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Easiest distance?

66 yrs old, playing 18 yrs, 250-275' max, Air Diamonds 147ish, Air Bolts 155ish, DX Wombats 150g (with smooth release you'll be shocked at how far the Wombats glide).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many of the new releases are the real high speed stuff that's "supposed" to go farthest, but not necessarily for the typical player.

I still think the US speed 9 class like SW/Roadrunner/Valk is the easiest and most forgiving distance for most arms. There's a lot of overlap between those molds depending on the plastic and how beat it is. Just a good balance of speed and glide, and flip but with some stability to not burn into the ground.

After that I think Tern/Sword/Trespass are forgiving, straight-ish, and glidey for people able to throw 11-12 speed discs easily. Again none of those are from the last couple of years.

Kastaplast Falk is super easy distance for me - at what feels like 50% power, it just glides straight as an arrow for 330+, which is about where I get my Champ Teebirds on an all-out smash.

Wonder if OP is still at it 3 years later and has any updates!

I cringe at the words "easy distance" or "easiest distance", but I understand what you're asking. My suggestions are:

S-Line TD.
Star Roadrunner or Star Sidewinder.
Champion Krait (mine is 160g and awesome for me)
Star and/or Champion Tern (around 160g, give or take a few)
Gold Line Fury -or- Opto Fury if GL beats in too fast for you.

The above work well for me and my noodle arm, and IMHO will work well for you also.

OP logged on yesterday. Maybe we need to reply to this post so they see the update.

Lat64 Maul is insanely long and glidey with minimal effort. My beat 175 Opto is my go-to hyzer flip disc and is just now getting to be too flippy after months of abuse. On a steep hyzer around 80% power it drifts very gradually to the right (RHBH) and finishes with minimal fade. Too much power and it turns & burns - time for a fresh one. Love watching it fly on a big sky anny — rip it hard nose up and watch it glide for days. A lighter weight one should fly about the same as my beat 175, maybe even longer. What's special about the Maul for me is how consistent and forgiving it is despite being understable.

Lat64 Maul is insanely long and glidey with minimal effort. My beat 175 Opto is my go-to hyzer flip disc and is just now getting to be too flippy after months of abuse. On a steep hyzer around 80% power it drifts very gradually to the right (RHBH) and finishes with minimal fade. Too much power and it turns & burns - time for a fresh one. Love watching it fly on a big sky anny — rip it hard nose up and watch it glide for days. A lighter weight one should fly about the same as my beat 175, maybe even longer. What's special about the Maul for me is how consistent and forgiving it is despite being understable.
:thmbup: Seconded!

I find Shrykes to be my easiest distance disc. Even on a bad pull they go far. Star Shryke for a relatively stable, workable version. G* for flippiness, tailwinds, turnovers, etc.

Waves behave similarly for me but are a few speeds slower. Escapes and Stags also work somewhat similar lines, but are more of a fairway driver rim. All are easy distance, in my opinion.

Wow! I'm the OP, and I can't believe this thread got bumped!

I'm still messing around with several lightweight drivers, but my favorites are the X Heat (mid 160s), Jade, and Diamond. Although it's not a driver, I've also added a Wombat3 (thanks, Riverdog) because of its insane glide.

I'm almost 67 now, and it's a little sobering to consider that this thread might outlive me. :)

Wow! I'm the OP, and I can't believe this thread got bumped!

I'm still messing around with several lightweight drivers, but my favorites are the X Heat (mid 160s), Jade, and Diamond. Although it's not a driver, I've also added a Wombat3 (thanks, Riverdog) because of its insane glide.

I'm almost 67 now, and it's a little sobering to consider that this thread might outlive me. :)

The interwebs will out live us all.

For real easy distance I like lightweight, flippy discs. Stuff like blizzard Bosses or Katanas. Also, star Terns and Shrykes will do the job. Right now I'd say my longest disc is a 160g star Tern. It isn't accurate for crap, but put on a hyzerflip line will soar out past 450' regularly. I think the longest throw I ever had was with a super light blizzard Katana. 480'ish.

For slower discs, the Heat, Sidewinder, and Mamba are very long. If you can figure out how to keep a Mamba from flipping entirely it could be the longest disc in your bag. I've had some absolute jaw dropping bombs with Mambas.

If I had to pick just one driver to throw slowly and still bomb with it would be a lightweight star Tern. Just unbelievable distance.

None of the discs I mentioned here would ever be used for accuracy. Simply pure distance.

Last edited:
I have a noodle arm and I've had a lot of success with Terns as well. I also just started messing with Sorcerer's and Sword's from Westside and definitely have been giving my Terns a run for their money.

DD Mavericks are newer and fantastic for easy distance and hyzer flips. Another lesser known mold would be a Westside Stag. Hatchets and fury's are also great. But again as has been said a hundred times you can't go wrong with Valks/sidewinders/roadrunners. Mambas can work but get real squirrely in any kind of wind. I personally love me a Maverick though.

A mold I have used with success to get easy distance is a 150 gram DX Dragon but that woud be due to its lightweight. I do not like that the mold is a R style DX or R-DX when Innova has Blizzard Champion that might help the mold not need replacing every 2.5-3 years with summer weekend use due to that lightweight DX getting broken in too quick. Now the mold works for mostly 80-90% open shots calm wind and tailwind. Also nice you have a Water disc. If the hole had any trees in the fairway do not use. Another is the Wahoo in both R-Pro and Blizzard Champion limited run from the Innova Factory Store, both are Water float discs according to Innova. My brother likes the Whaoo for tailwind shots and calm open 80-90% open bomber shots. The R-Pro for the Wahoo is usually going to be stiffer then the R-Pro plastic used for putters, unless you find a good run of R-Pro putters made in the stiffer old style.

Last edited:
G* Shryke bombs. You have to throw it on hyzer and any head wind it won't come back. Esp heat is the longest fairway I've ever thrown too. Its more stable than the numbers suggest.