• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

when 3 guys are in front of you and they get more and more impatient with the people in front of them that they just throw their games, very poor sportsmanship

At Cranbury Park in CT, I played behind a guy who took an insane amount of practice swings before finally releasing his shot. He averaged more than 20 - literally. I'm disappointed that I didn't have my nice camera so I wasn't able to humiliate him on YouTube. There's a certain top pro who does that too, and I can't stand watching him play either. Taking that much time is in fact against the rules.

Fair warning if you are the guy I'm referring to, I plan to make a video compilation with a running clock on the screen.

People that ask you to go back to their place rip a 3-footer. Or randoms that ask you if you have any ......... for sale.

At Cranbury Park in CT, I played behind a guy who took an insane amount of practice swings before finally releasing his shot. He averaged more than 20 - literally. I'm disappointed that I didn't have my nice camera so I wasn't able to humiliate him on YouTube. There's a certain top pro who does that too, and I can't stand watching him play either. Taking that much time is in fact against the rules.

In my very limited experience a lot of better players seem to take a long time over the disc! Repeated practice swings, go switch discs, a few more practice swings.

A lot to fit into thirty seconds.

A local park here just put in a DG course. It's the first in this city, so many of the local players are new players. At this course I am continually coming up behind groups of people playing two or more discs. It is irritating to me to stand on a tee pad and watch them sheepherd all their discs before I can tee off. Is it normal/ acceptable to play multiple discs? It's like it's crowded even when it's not crowded.

I'm not shy or timid and will ask to play through when I catch them at a tee, but I'd rather they played one disc at a reasonable pace (reasonable being the key word) and I'll adjust my pace to match. I'm in no great hurry out there, but too much is enough.

I'm new too. But, I sort of figure that "normal" is a group up to four. And, if it's one guy throwing a few discs, I try to think of that as not different than a foursome.

It is frustrating, indeed, that it's hard to pass unless you catch them on a tee. So, it feels like you can wait several holes.

But, karma-wise, this is somewhat made up by the many generous folks who've _waited_ on the teepad for me to catch up to them, so that I could pass.

I always feel a little guilty playing solo, passing through multiple groups, etc.

I always feel a little guilty playing solo, passing through multiple groups, etc.

Why feel guilty? The way I look at it is this. If the course is rather empty and I'm in a foursome and a single or double is catching up the group I'm in will stop and let you play through (like if we're on 8 and you tee on 7 we'll wait till you finish 7 let you tee off on 8 and finish out and we'll go)

I guess that's not really the common thing to do but I don't like to feel like I'm being rushed by the person behind me and as a single I don't like to feel as if I'm hurrying the group in front of me.

The only time I don't like to let a single play through is on a packed course. IE if everyone is waiting on pretty much every hole there's no real point in anyone playing through. If you really NEED to play through in that situation you can go ahead but you're going to be stuck behind the group in front of ours soon anyway so who cares.

I take my daughters (11 & 13) to the course with me. They are tournament players and know the rules. They play well, and when they don't, they at least play fast. They police themselves and do a good job with ettiquette where all are invloved.

It seems like everytime out we end up catching the group ahead of us. We usually have to wait 3 or 4 holes for them to see we are waiting for them. A lot of times we get the look of, who is this dude and his little girls, not another group of players that should be aloud to play through. They usually will finally look back and see we are ligitimately good enough to play through and ask us at the next tee. I have asked to play through in the past and got snubbed. Not wanting to get agressive in front of my girls, we would just jump the hole. Now I have my 11 year old ask if we can play through. Only once did they give her any crap, and she responded with that she didn't want to have to throw on them. I about laughed my ass off. Most of the locals know my girls now, and they get asked to join up, or to play on through.

People who hurry up to putt and then stop to look at the rest of us wondering why didn't move out of their line of site. "Hey Duma$$, do you wonder why we are frozen like statues in mid step". EAT IT!

Fair warning if you are the guy I'm referring to, I plan to make a video compilation with a running clock on the screen.

Yeah, I'm not as worried about anonymity for the pro as you are. It's Feldberg.

Dude pumps his disc fourteen thousand times, and then putts considerably differently than he pumped. For chrissakes, just throw the damn thing already and quit trying to fake us out.

(I actually really like Dave Feldberg, but this just drives me nuts about him.)

I actually didn't mean Feldberg. I think the guy I mean is Bennett. I kept him anonymous because I worry I'm mixing his name up, and dont want to accuse the innocent.

Boy does it project the impression that you don't know what you're doing. Imagine if it took Steve Nash 25 pumps to shoot a free throw. Act like you've done it before!

I play with some guys that were into ball golf first, so i would assume common courtesy would be almost engrained in them. A few of them, after sinking their putts, will walk toward the basket to get their disc. But they dont go grab it and get out... Instead, they walk slowly, looking at me, expecting me to putt. Then i say, "go ahead. Grab it." and then they insist, "no, its cool. You can shoot. It wont hit me. Ill move." (insert "Are you serious" rage face here)

I have had people tell me to play through and then throw at me when I didn't move fast enough. That's the opposite of awesome.

People who hurry up to putt and then stop to look at the rest of us wondering why didn't move out of their line of site. "Hey Duma$$, do you wonder why we are frozen like statues in mid step". EAT IT!

I don't understand this either. If having people in your line of sight bothers you, give them a half dozen seconds to get out of your line of sight before you address your putt. These are often times the same people who require complete and utter silence within a mile radius of their throws. I understand you don't want people talking next to you, but again, don't rush it, and give people a chance to finish their sentence. Disc golf is a social outing, not a monastic prayer vigil. But God forbid a snake breathes too loudly from the shule on the next hole, because that's going to be enough distraction to make captain pissypants miss.

I don't understand this either. If having people in your line of sight bothers you, give them a half dozen seconds to get out of your line of sight before you address your putt. These are often times the same people who require complete and utter silence within a mile radius of their throws. I understand you don't want people talking next to you, but again, don't rush it, and give people a chance to finish their sentence. Disc golf is a social outing, not a monastic prayer vigil. God forbid a snake breathes too loudly from the shule on the next hole, because that's going to be enough distraction to make captain pissypants miss.

Professional baseball player hits 101mph fastball in front of thousands of screaming fans. Disc golfer misses 15ft putt at stationary target because a butterfly farted.

I had some guy come up to me and start chatting it up last time I threw Deis Hill. Thought he was just a friendly golfer but after a minute or two of bsing he throws his first punch:

"the governments printing trillion dollar bills now, you ever see one?"

oh **** me i think, I know exactly what dumb **** is on these million and trillion dollar bills.

He gives his little speech about eternity and Jesus and I politely listen, then accept his The Atheist Challenge booklet he offered me when I told him I rank God up there with Santa and the Easter Bunny as dumb fairy tale **** I think is silly to believe in.

I thought thay booklet might give me and my girlfriend some laughs but we didn't even make i past page 2 before i tossed it because o how frustratingly DUMB its arguements were. Trying to say **** like a banana is curved to make is convenient for humans to eat and that is proof bananas had an intelligent designer that is none other than the judeochristian God and not one of the other 5,000 interpretations different cultures have as to who and what God is. What a crock of ****.

Keep religion off the course. If I want a preachig to about why I need a fairytale to control my life I'll ****in go to church. That's not what I'm looking for when I drive 45 minutes on my day off to go golf a badass course.

Professional baseball player hits 101mph fastball in front of thousands of screaming fans. Disc golfer misses 15ft putt at stationary target because a butterfly farted.

LOL :clap:

Keep religion off the course. If I want a preachig to about why I need a fairytale to control my life I'll ****in go to church. That's not what I'm looking for when I drive 45 minutes on my day off to go golf a badass course.

I don't agree with you. I was just like you, sure of my athiest stance, and because of someone approaching me and proclaiming the Truth, my eyes have been opened.

Now, I am working with a few other guys to start a ministry service called DG4JC.:thmbup:

I don't agree with you. I was just like you, sure of my athiest stance, and because of someone approaching me and proclaiming the Truth, my eyes have been opened.

Now, I am working with a few other guys to start a ministry service called DG4JC.:thmbup:

35gzdg.jpg

A friend and I got behind a 6 player group yesterday. they loitered around the basket after holing out, never offered to let us play thru, and worst of all, two of them emptied their bag throwing from the basket to the next teepad.

We started our game over from hole 9.

After they threw their initial drives, and started pulling more plastic out of their bags, I'd step over and tell them they can wait to throw practice throws after my group has tee-d off and finished the hole. Basically making them let us play through. I have no problem asserting myself when need be, but more often than not, people offer to let us play through if we're moving at an obviously faster pace than they are....

Latest posts