• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

I had some guy come up to me and start chatting it up last time I threw Deis Hill. Thought he was just a friendly golfer but after a minute or two of bsing he throws his first punch:

"the governments printing trillion dollar bills now, you ever see one?"

oh **** me i think, I know exactly what dumb **** is on these million and trillion dollar bills.

He gives his little speech about eternity and Jesus and I politely listen, then accept his The Atheist Challenge booklet he offered me when I told him I rank God up there with Santa and the Easter Bunny as dumb fairy tale **** I think is silly to believe in.

I thought thay booklet might give me and my girlfriend some laughs but we didn't even make i past page 2 before i tossed it because o how frustratingly DUMB its arguements were. Trying to say **** like a banana is curved to make is convenient for humans to eat and that is proof bananas had an intelligent designer that is none other than the judeochristian God and not one of the other 5,000 interpretations different cultures have as to who and what God is. What a crock of ****.

Keep religion off the course. If I want a preachig to about why I need a fairytale to control my life I'll ****in go to church. That's not what I'm looking for when I drive 45 minutes on my day off to go golf a badass course.

Good...Good. Let the hate flow Skywalker.

As for the throwing on people, yeah. But equally stupid is the people that lose their minds when you have your friends (that can't throw within 150' of the people ahead of you) throw to keep the pace of the course up.

I understand that throwing into people is dangerous, and that's why *I* didn't throw. But the odds of them hitting you are about the same as you getting struck by lightning, so calm the f down.

(I'm not bitter. Really!)

As for the throwing on people, yeah. But equally stupid is the people that lose their minds when you have your friends (that can't throw within 150' of the people ahead of you) throw to keep the pace of the course up.

I understand that throwing into people is dangerous, and that's why *I* didn't throw. But the odds of them hitting you are about the same as you getting struck by lightning, so calm the f down.

(I'm not bitter. Really!)

I'm torn about this. I've done this - had weak players throw when there was a snowball's chance of it making to the party in front. But, it seems like getting hit by a disc can be really bad news. So, I think I'll try to lay off it in the future.

(But, if you avoid this behavior; it does make it that much harder to play through a slow group!)

But equally stupid is the people that lose their minds when you have your friends (that can't throw within 150' of the people ahead of you) throw to keep the pace of the course up.

I consider not throwing on the group ahead of you more a courtesy thing than a safety thing. Nobody likes to have anyone breathing down their neck while they're trying to focus on their game.

I had some guy come up to me and start chatting it up last time I threw Deis Hill. Thought he was just a friendly golfer but after a minute or two of bsing he throws his first punch:

"the governments printing trillion dollar bills now, you ever see one?"

oh **** me i think, I know exactly what dumb **** is on these million and trillion dollar bills.

He gives his little speech about eternity and Jesus and I politely listen, then accept his The Atheist Challenge booklet he offered me when I told him I rank God up there with Santa and the Easter Bunny as dumb fairy tale **** I think is silly to believe in.

I thought thay booklet might give me and my girlfriend some laughs but we didn't even make i past page 2 before i tossed it because o how frustratingly DUMB its arguements were. Trying to say **** like a banana is curved to make is convenient for humans to eat and that is proof bananas had an intelligent designer that is none other than the judeochristian God and not one of the other 5,000 interpretations different cultures have as to who and what God is. What a crock of ****.

Keep religion off the course. If I want a preachig to about why I need a fairytale to control my life I'll ****in go to church. That's not what I'm looking for when I drive 45 minutes on my day off to go golf a badass course.

Place keyboard in mouth. Just sayin' :\

Look, you're new to this site, and in your post history this is the only thread where you mentioned religion, so I'll be brief:
DON'T talk about religion on DGCR---it'll end badly, with threadlock, infractions, and bannings. I'm not interested in your plans for infiltrating the DG scene, as if it was a hotbed of sin and idolatry that needs salvation. Knock it off. :thmbdown:
And that's my pet peeve for today.

:thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

Look, you're not new to this site, and you started in a little late!

I believe SOMEONE ELSE started the religion talk indirectly, so why don't you start there!

Furthermore, I believe E-Gabs was just DEFENDING himself, which he has every right to do so!

Got into a very intense debate with a friend's wife and her friend who is also a disc golfer. Him and I both took the stance that is was equally her fault for almost getting her and her daughter hit by a disc. She tried everything in the book to blame the disc golfer but when all was said and done it was her not being attentive and aware of her surroundings. She even tried to say that since it was 11am on a weekday the park should be for the kids....even though they were walking in the part of the park with the disc golf course.

Her main complaint was no signs warning of the danger.....we told her there are 36 signs to let her know she's on a disc golf course. The 18 baskets and 18 concrete tee pads.

I disagree completely. As frustrating as it is to deal with multi-use parks and heavy traffic by other park users, they still have the right of way and there's no excuse for throwing when the fairway isn't clear. It's even worse when young children are involved, you would really be ok with splitting a kid's head open because they should have known better?

I disagree completely. As frustrating as it is to deal with multi-use parks and heavy traffic by other park users, they still have the right of way and there's no excuse for throwing when the fairway isn't clear. It's even worse when young children are involved, you would really be ok with splitting a kid's head open because they should have known better?

I would agree with all that except for the circumstances. It was on a hole with a blind tee shot and blind second shot depending on how far you throw. She was walking away from the teepad and had crossed a bridge that tells people on the teepad it's clear. Then because of her little girl they came back walking over that bridge after the players had teed off and went to throw a second shot.

They should've went and made sure it was clear before throwing again you say? She said they likely did but still didn't see the little girl. (she's shorter than the bridge wall)

Those disc golfers took every reasonable precaution while the mother took none. She was oblivious to her surroundings and being selfish about others using a park amenity just like she enjoys. Believe me the little girl is like my own if I thought for one instance those disc golfers did anything wrong I'd be whipping some butt down there.

I hate being thrown on . It dosen't happen very often, but I was once on a 200ft, blind hole, and when I play that hole, I always walk halfway up the fairway to make sure its clear, and I had some guys throwing on us, while we were at the basket.

My favorite moves after being thrown on/at, grab their disc and...

super roller in the opposite direction
a bomb hyzer into the woods
a thumber back at them
put it in my bag in full view of them, and make them come and get it (my favorite)

People who make fun of me for dredging a pond that two holes cross over with my Golden Retriever. Bitch, I pulled out two champions, a DX and a Z in an hour of blind throwing into that murky sumbitch. Paid for itself and then some, since only one had a phone number (and it was disconnected).

It WAS amusing when one spent a full thirty seconds explaining to me and his buddy how it was impossible to snag anything with it. I wing it out there and haul in a X-Out KC Pro Cheetah. Oh, did his buddy have fun with that. "Dude... that disc is worth more than half your bag!"

Also, people picking up my discs instead of letting me putt. Once I can accept and then tell them I like to putt out even on 'gimmies'. Twice, I tell them to not pick up my discs. Three times and I tell them to stop picking up my ****ing discs. They usually learn at that point.

People who make fun of me for dredging a pond that two holes cross over with my Golden Retriever. Bitch, I pulled out two champions, a DX and a Z in an hour of blind throwing into that murky sumbitch. Paid for itself and then some, since only one had a phone number (and it was disconnected).

It WAS amusing when one spent a full thirty seconds explaining to me and his buddy how it was impossible to snag anything with it. I wing it out there and haul in a X-Out KC Pro Cheetah. Oh, did his buddy have fun with that. "Dude... that disc is worth more than half your bag!"

Love it.

i hate when people are ready to putt, then look and see that another persons disc may be a tiny bit further out then theirs. they then step back and say "oh i think your out" then the guy who may be out has to walk up to his disc (usually is kinda far away from the disc, because he was waiting out of the way for the other guy to initially take his putt) its annoying when someone who is ready to putt but then makes someone else go before them who isnt as ready to putt(standing by his lie)
takes up time and time is money! and it gives off the signal they are scared or nervous to putt and they wanna see how someone else putts.

Putting out of turn is a major breach of etiquette. If everyone was in sync the furthest away would have been decided before anyone steps up to putt. It has nothing to do with being scared or nervous, but everything to do with being honorable. generally one can also say "go ahead", which can then have a negative effect due to a rushed putt, etc.

If someone who does not have the honors steps up to tee off first and realizes they don't, should he just throw anyways?

Putting out of turn is a major breach of etiquette. If everyone was in sync the furthest away would have been decided before anyone steps up to putt. It has nothing to do with being scared or nervous, but everything to do with being honorable. generally one can also say "go ahead", which can then have a negative effect due to a rushed putt, etc.

If someone who does not have the honors steps up to tee off first and realizes they don't, should he just throw anyways?

Holy necro-bump

I can see the furthest out not applying in a case where if it's a tight fairway. Player A throws 20' the basket and Player B throws 15' in front of the basket. Player A should throw first, but because for pace of play, I wouldn't have issues with Player B going first.

Now driving out of turn is a whole different thing since everyone is there together and should know the order.

My regular group generally plays "ready golf." It's not that we don't know the rules; it's that we all would rather speed up the pace of play. As long as we all agree and play by the same rules, it works. In a tournament setting, that likely wouldn't work.

Outside of tournaments, this sort of formality is overkill, particularly when the players are in tap in range.

And in my experience, disc golfers are rarely "in sync".