• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

I had an interesting one today. The guy caught up to us at hole 3, we were going to let him play through, but he started throwing multiple drives and putts while we were waiting for him at 4's tee. We decided to play through 6 and sit and wait at the picnic tables. He then passes after about 5 minutes and says "Thanks, trying to get in as many as I can before I have to leave at 3. I'll be out of your way soon" He was nice about it all, just seemed a little odd. I usually will encourage people play through so I don't feel so rushed.

Drunk partners at doubles.

Take a guy who normally can throw the course under par. Give him 15 beers. Have him play a round of doubles. Seriously, he contributed nothing after the 5th hole. He was doing well to not fall off the teepad, much less get the disc 100 feet down the fairway. He's missing 10-15 footers repeatedly. I was so bugged I couldn't even play as well as I usually do. Meanwhile, another drunk guy in the group yells something every time someone lets go of their putter. Seriously. In a doubles tourney. Talking about donating...We were 10 shots out of the money.

Here is the Inside of the Trifold I'm working on. the outside 2 sections (1st part of outside is cover) I think I might do Pet etiquette and not sure what else...
LMK what you think so far!!

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

not many...
first of all littering, during weekday casuals me and my friends like to pack a couple beers and play instead of going to bars. so we end up picking up everyone else's crap as to not ruin it for the rest of us who can handle drinking a couple nice beers while playing. squids..i'll dive into gator infested waters down here in fla. myself for my good beat in driver,just because you found it before me doesn't mean i'm gonna pay you for it, i'm wet too! players that can't loosen up for a post work round and start yelling about pdga rules..we know them but there's no money on the line lighten up!

Here is the Inside of the Trifold I'm working on. the outside 2 sections (1st part of outside is cover) I think I might do Pet etiquette and not sure what else...
LMK what you think so far!!

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

Looks good.

Referencing the Pdga rule numbers beneath your blurbs would be ideal.

Cell phone, player throwing order, profanity, littering ...

Most of those rules are in the 803 section.

Cell phones don't need to be off, just silent.

And groups in non tournament play should limit their size to six, not four.

So a quick summary of everybody's pet peeves:

-Disrespecting other players
-Disrespecting the course
-Disrespecting the rules
-Disrespecting the law

Did I miss anything?

the main reason i'm not referencing any PDGA rule numbers is becuase this pamphlet is not intended for those that have access to PDGA information. This is more geared towards new or casual-only players.. any other players should be learning their etiquette from leagues,events, etc.
I can use the 1 section I have left on the outside to reference how they can access more rules/etc (like the PDGA manual).. I think that would probably be the best thing to put there..

I think it would be best to edit the group size to say that 4 or less is ideal with 6 being the max.. that might sound better..

I already put in the pamphlet that cell phones can be on silent or off...

Thx for the suggestions!!!

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

So a quick summary of everybody's pet peeves:

-Disrespecting other players
-Disrespecting the course
-Disrespecting the rules
-Disrespecting the law

Did I miss anything?

sounds about right :).. I wouldn't really call them pet peeves anyway.. they are more of general courtesies.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

!!!!! YES !!!!! I was in a 3 person group and we were right behind a group of 6-7 people all throwing MULTIPLE discs and they refused to let us play through.....so we SKIPPED....nothing but the stink eye the entire time we walked to the next hole.

As for dogs I am fine with them as long as they are some what trained and the owner doesn't let the dog scat on the fairway, if you are in the rough you should watch where you are walking.

This is exactly what I was referring to with my rant about the unemployed massive groups that clog the course at sundown. Not only they WILL NOT let you play through unless you awkwardly ask them, but they also get mad even if you just skip em.

That being said, I was at LaMa recently and it was fairly un-busy especially for the front course, and this massive group of 8 skipped 9 & 10 (and us in the process). We arrived at the tee for 11 at the same time and I told them about 9 & 10. They laughed and started throwing. 2 of us, 8 of them. The same guys who get their panties in a wad when they are skipped are apperantly entitled to hop around the course at their leisure. I'm not one to cause trouble though so we just went to the back course.

The biggest problem with disc golf is the douchebags it attracts. Been avoiding the course ever since.

These accounts speak strongly to why courteous players should be very careful about skipping holes, even with the lurking doom of eight and nine person groups out there. There is a very fine line between being frustrated with the problem and aiding in it. If one is going to skip around the really should be more than one hole behind where you end up, preferably 3 or 4.

I've seen so many times, and even made the following mistake; a group of 3 semi serious golfers are fed up that the whole front nine is full and jump to a random hole later, cutting what looks like a big group of rec players who will take forever.

The problem is the rec players don't care; they walk up and throw within seconds, and although I have a quick pace, many of my golfing buddies and other serious players do not. Now rec and serious players are all pissed off about the same thing, specifically at each other. Continue downward spiral of rudeness and disharmony from there.

Like I say, don't skip unless you are a single or fast two-some, or if there is a large buffer of holes. If this could be true, and group sizes always limited to 4, we would have nothing but smooth flowing courses all over the vast fruited plain.

I had an interesting one today. The guy caught up to us at hole 3, we were going to let him play through, but he started throwing multiple drives and putts while we were waiting for him at 4's tee. We decided to play through 6 and sit and wait at the picnic tables. He then passes after about 5 minutes and says "Thanks, trying to get in as many as I can before I have to leave at 3. I'll be out of your way soon" He was nice about it all, just seemed a little odd. I usually will encourage people play through so I don't feel so rushed.

Often when I'm behind a slower group (which is most of the time since I mainly play alone), I will play multiple drives and do putting practice so that my time waiting is productive instead of just standing there.

My two biggest pet peeves are: 1.-when people constantly talk while you are on the teepad or any other throw or putt, and 2.- when people refuse to let the person with the farthest lie throw first, insisting on walking down the fairway in front of me to go to their disc. There is PLENTY of time walking between throws and walking between holes to chat it up, don't start a conversation with somebody right when I'm going through my pre-shot rituals. There is a time and a place. Usually the conversation is loud and obnoxious too, but that is probably because the person constantly talking throughout a round is obnoxious to begin with. I politely tell new people I play with not to do these two things if they do them, but after a couple times telling them and they still do it I start getting angry

I agree. There is a BIG dif between a trained dog and an untrained dog on the course. However, under normal circumstances, nobody has to bring their dog with them in order to play a round of disc golf. The exception is if you are on a road trip during the summer and can't leave him/her in your vehicle. Like Martin Dew for example, but I have no problem with trained and well behaved dogs. Unless you are allergic, it shouldn't bother you.... IMO.

It comes down to the owner using good judgement. I have a VERY large dog that happens to be completely harmless, but I keep him on leash because not everyone loves dogs. He would be fine off leash, but I respect that a 150lb behemoth galloping out of the underbrush covered in mud and pine needles is not copacetic to a non-doglover's day.

It's always the drunks....

Drunk partners at doubles.

Take a guy who normally can throw the course under par. Give him 15 beers. Have him play a round of doubles. Seriously, he contributed nothing after the 5th hole. He was doing well to not fall off the teepad, much less get the disc 100 feet down the fairway. He's missing 10-15 footers repeatedly. I was so bugged I couldn't even play as well as I usually do. Meanwhile, another drunk guy in the group yells something every time someone lets go of their putter. Seriously. In a doubles tourney. Talking about donating...We were 10 shots out of the money.

That's too funny and too true! Reminds me of another drunk story that happened years ago. We had the 1992 PDGA World Amateur Championships in Indy, and everything was going great! The weather was good, we had lots of players (the biggest Am Worlds to that point in players and payout) and lots of sponsors including a local radio station, WZPL, for title sponsor. The local TV media was also out doing a bit and had interviewed staff and other players in the event at tourney central. Life is good! :thmbup:

Yeah. A local golfer, drunk, shirtless, missing teeth, loud and swearing, not in the tourney, shows up and wants to play. We politely tell him that the course is closed today due to the event. Please go to another local course not being used, or join the gallery and hang out. Well no. Of course that will not due. He insists that he has a "right" to play. After much discussion he is finally persueded to leave. Phew!! :hfive:

Nothing is that simple. Unknown to us, he sneeks out onto the course to throw a couple of holes. And of course, the local TV crew goes wandering out for a "player interview". And who do they pick? You know it. Our d'bag. :wall: So along with some other good footage that night on the news is our guy, shirtless, drunk, toothless, saying how he loves disc golf so much that he even had to have a fight with his wife to let him go play today. :doh:

(Lesson learned, NEVER let them media go anywhere at your event without a "guidedog" going along with them!)

Here is the Inside of the Trifold I'm working on.

Good work, but there are a few spelling errors. Fix your spelling of conscientious and courteous and look for where you should use "whose" instead of "who's." There may be other places that I didn't notice, so be sure to proofread thoroughly before you spread it around the course. :thmbup:

And of course, the local TV crew goes wandering out for a "player interview". And who do they pick? You know it. Our d'bag. :wall: So along with some other good footage that night on the news is our guy, shirtless, drunk, toothless, saying how he loves disc golf so much that he even had to have a fight with his wife to let him go play today. :doh:

(Lesson learned, NEVER let them media go anywhere at your event without a "guidedog" going along with them!)

Another lesson to learn is that news reporters aren't paid to put the truth on TV: they're paid to put sensation on TV. Because sensation sells better than the truth. :wall:

it seems like tv cameras find me each and everytime i'm doing something stupid in some crazy weather
(hurricanes/nor'easters)

At least it could have been good dubstep like Skrillex.

lol good dubstep...that's like saying it could have been a good dump while wiping your butt with sand paper....I will respect your liking of music and to skrillex (innovative artist to say the least) but will wholeheartedly voice my opinion on the music. If this is not respectful just p.m me :D

....As to etiquette, i don't like it when chuckers try to act like a tough guy just to be a jerk when you oust them. Littering has also been a bit of a peeve as well. I will pick up water bottles, beer cans, and other drink/trash around the couse, but come on! there are trash cans at almost ever hole in my home course and yet you cannot manage to throw away your garbage? Baby strollers do bug me as well but that's a whole nother issue :p I have not had people refuse me from playing in front of them, but i have always let others go ahead, if not join me playing. I try to play with respect and curtsey when others (especially walkers or non-discs golfers) are present. Common etiquette is what helps this sport grow :)

Was playing the other day and saw a lady I had seen before walking her dog. She went to a trash can and dumped a plastic bag full. I thought it was dog poo but then she started walking around filling it up again. It took me a while but then I realized she was picking up litter. I thought it was a cool thing to do. I will make sure I don't throw any discs in her direction.

Was playing the other day and saw a lady I had seen before walking her dog. She went to a trash can and dumped a plastic bag full. I thought it was dog poo but then she started walking around filling it up again. It took me a while but then I realized she was picking up litter. I thought it was a cool thing to do. I will make sure I don't throw any discs in her direction.

Now that right there is pretty cool to see others taking part in the community to help out and keep the parks clean

people that think because their group is smaller they dont need to let you go through, even when your playing twice as fast as them. and littering, i hate it, the trash can is 15 ft away, are you really that lazy