• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

people letting their dogs dump all over the course. I love dogs and have no issue with people bringing their dogs but if you do bring some bags and clean up after them it goes along with being a dog owner.

people letting their dogs dump all over the course. I love dogs and have no issue with people bringing their dogs but if you do bring some bags and clean up after them it goes along with being a dog owner.

Was talking to a guy I somewhat know just the other day in the course parking lot and I was talking to him about these people. He said he knew a guy who had followed a dog owner around the course one day and picked up everything the dog left and the owner wouldn't pick up. After collecting roughly 2 pounds of poop he walked back to the parking lot where the person had left their sunroof open. I think everyone can guess what happened next. :hfive: :sick:

I would've loved to see the look on that guy's face when he got in his car.

Guess I haven't been playing long enough or am just too easy going. My only peeves:
- litterers / dope heads / drunks (save that stuff your own trailer)
- super slow players (does a one minute pre-throw ritual really help)
- people that take it WAY too seriously (if it isn't fun for you don't spoil it for everyone)

Sixsomes. Well, anything bigger than a foursome. The only acceptable group sizes are below 5 members. Use this handy guide:

1-4 players = One group
5 players = One group of two, one of three
6 players = Two groups of three
7+ players = Get off my course, this isn't a hootenanny. :mad:

Pet Peeves

Out of my experiences, very rarely do the following 2 types let you go through. 1, larger groups of high school punks and that is a 99% no. 2. Shocking enough in Minnesota it seems to be high level Am's and open level guys in groups of 5+ not letting you go through either. Kind of sad but it is what it is.

I understand during a tourney you need to mark you disc for putting and keep your feet set on putts but don't call out non tourney/casual players on it on a normal day, let them play the way they are casually so they can have fun, learn the game and as they get better and into tourney mode will learn. Had a couple guys calling a friend out on a foot fault on a 25 ft putt his first time playing the game.

For a tourney I can understand proper etiquette and believe me I have it when I play a tourney but I also have friends who are non tourney type guys who I love to just let loose with. Heck we even played with a huge armed open player from our area this last week and he was cool as can be about letting those newer players play how they want. Overall I guess I dislike guys who are too dang serious about a casual round with your friends, you don't know how serious anyone else is out there and have to have respect for them too.

Painted teepads. Really, what is the point. I generally play early in the day, where there is dew/moister to contend with and it can really make them slick. Therefore I have to be extra careful and cut back onthe power/x step of my drive.

People who take disc golf too seriously. I understand if you come out for a practice round and part of your practice is playing by miniscule rules. Thats cool and have fun. But I go out to throw a disc around with my friends and if you start throwing rules around that we know but dont play by or if you get upset that we talk while your throwing then go play with someone else.

People who take disc golf too seriously. I understand if you come out for a practice round and part of your practice is playing by miniscule rules. Thats cool and have fun. But I go out to throw a disc around with my friends and if you start throwing rules around that we know but dont play by or if you get upset that we talk while your throwing then go play with someone else.

I kind of disagree with this. I've always figured you should practice how you play. Obviously if I'm going out with a round with friends I'm not calling foot faults, counting all your strokes, or getting pissed and cursing everywhere. But, if I'm out there to get better, you can be sure I'm taking my shots seriously. Is it that hard to stop talking for 5 seconds while someone is on the teepad or about to throw? It's not. It's common courtesy, and bothers a lot of people for good reason.

My latest pet peave is due to the weather - those jonesing to play some disc golf despite course closures.

Winter Park is closed right now. I understand the desire to play the only good course near the green bay area, but it's closed, just because it's 80 in green bay doesn't mean that a season of man made snow has melted, nor that the frost has completely thawed as well as allowed the ground time to drain and dry. I hate these "can't be respectful and wait" players not only because it is me and a small group of volunteers are the ones paying for, hauling, laying out, compacting, and leveling the tee pads. In the spring they are very mushy and essentially get destroyed when played on during a soggy spring. Plus many have washed out due to melting snow and are even more susceptible to damage. Another reason is that I respect the land we live and play on, and know what kind of damage and erosion can happen when you play on soggy spring ground - all over the course!

While I wouldnt go so far as to call these players chuckers, they currently have me peaved.

Just because baskets are in place doesn't mean the course is open. This is back to the volunteer thing and my personal time and effort. I'm not gonna pull 27 basekts off that hill and back in those valleys just to ensure people understand the course is closed! To me the sign on the welcome board saying "CLOSED" should suffice.

My latest pet peave is due to the weather - those jonesing to play some disc golf despite course closures.

Winter Park is closed right now. I understand the desire to play the only good course near the green bay area, but it's closed, just because it's 80 in green bay doesn't mean that a season of man made snow has melted, nor that the frost has completely thawed as well as allowed the ground time to drain and dry. I hate these "can't be respectful and wait" players not only because it is me and a small group of volunteers are the ones paying for, hauling, laying out, compacting, and leveling the tee pads. In the spring they are very mushy and essentially get destroyed when played on during a soggy spring. Plus many have washed out due to melting snow and are even more susceptible to damage. Another reason is that I respect the land we live and play on, and know what kind of damage and erosion can happen when you play on soggy spring ground - all over the course!

While I wouldnt go so far as to call these players chuckers, they currently have me peaved.

Just because baskets are in place doesn't mean the course is open. This is back to the volunteer thing and my personal time and effort. I'm not gonna pull 27 basekts off that hill and back in those valleys just to ensure people understand the course is closed! To me the sign on the welcome board saying "CLOSED" should suffice.

Makes me very grateful to have concerete tees at all the courses near me.

I kind of disagree with this. I've always figured you should practice how you play. Obviously if I'm going out with a round with friends I'm not calling foot faults, counting all your strokes, or getting pissed and cursing everywhere. But, if I'm out there to get better, you can be sure I'm taking my shots seriously. Is it that hard to stop talking for 5 seconds while someone is on the teepad or about to throw? It's not. It's common courtesy, and bothers a lot of people for good reason.

I've never played with a group that serious. I've only ever played with guys who are out there to have fun and hang out while playing a round of disc golf. I'm not saying playing that serious is wrong, I just think it puts a damper on disc golfers who don't take it as serious as you do. That's just a pet peeve of mine. My group of friends and I wouldn't want to play with someone who demands "common courtesy"

I would also say that getting better is a product of how you choose to play. If you can take practicing serious but still not care if anyone is talking while you putt then I would say your putting is probably better than someone who requires complete silence (given that your putting skills are similar).

Was playing the other day and saw a lady I had seen before walking her dog. She went to a trash can and dumped a plastic bag full. I thought it was dog poo but then she started walking around filling it up again. It took me a while but then I realized she was picking up litter. I thought it was a cool thing to do. I will make sure I don't throw any discs in her direction.

I have never seen that once. I did see the "can lady" at meeman shelby in Tenn picking up her loot though.

I haven't come across too many aggregious breaches of etiquette. I never recall anyone refusing to let me/my card play through once we caught up with them. They might not necessarily offer to, but whenever I've asked politely, I've always gotten a "Sure, go ahead."

Obviously people littering sucks, but as far the etiquette of actual play goes, I kind of hate when people take extra shots when you're waiting on the tee. If I'm playing a tres-casual round, and someone's behind me, I'll either:
a) finish that hole without extra shots and let them play the next hole before me.
b) ask them to play through, and continue at my leisurely pace.

I make a conscious effort to respect other people's time and pace as much as I want them to respect mine.