• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

I'm ok with dogs on the course but seriously keep your dog on a leash if there are leash laws at the course. Doesn't matter if you have the "most wonderfully trained dog" or not. It's not about your dog being well trained. It's about respecting the course/park and the other individuals that are there.

I don't know how many times a dog has come at me and the owner laughed thinking I was scared the dog would attack me. That's not it at all lol. I don't want to get muddy and smell like a dog. Keep your mutt on a leash like the sign says.....or....take it to a park that is specific for dogs.

A few weeks ago a dog walker was letting her dog run all around no leash. I threw a champ leopard and he starts to take off after it. She laughed and encouraged him to go get it. That's when I looked at her and said "if he puts teeth on that disc you just bought it" Her tone changed immediately and she began to scream for him to come back. I don't want anyone to not feel welcome in a public park but I can't believe how many of them are blind to the other people and their activities. It's just a lack of respect in general and goes well beyond park use and disc golf.

Don't blame your poor putting or driving skills on someone distracting you! It's not like you're at the free throw line in the NBA and everyone is screaming and waving signs at you. If you miss a putt because I was diagonally in your line of sight....practice more. Give me a break.

Last edited:
I don't know how many times a dog has come at me and the owner laughed thinking I was scared the dog would attack me. That's not it at all lol. I don't want to get muddy and smell like a dog. Keep your mutt on a leash like the sign says.....or....take it to a park that is specific for dogs.

A few weeks ago a dog walker was letting her dog run all around no leash. I threw a champ leopard and he starts to take off after it. She laughed and encouraged him to go get it. That's when I looked at her and said "if he puts teeth on that disc you just bought it" Her tone changed immediately and she began to scream for him to come back. I don't want anyone to not feel welcome in a public park but I can't believe how many of them are blind to the other people and their activities. It's just a lack of respect in general and goes well beyond park use and disc golf.
I don't really know how to say this without sounding barbaric. The only way a course in a city park will alert people to the seriousness of what we are doing(like people treat ball golf) is if someone walks into the fairway and gets hammered bad and it makes it to the local news. I picture the story finishing" and remember everyone, when you see these chain baskets, you are on a Disc Golf Course. These things can injure you way more than a frisbee"

I don't really know how to say this without sounding barbaric. The only way a course in a city park will alert people to the seriousness of what we are doing(like people treat ball golf) is if someone walks into the fairway and gets hammered bad and it makes it to the local news. I picture the story finishing" and remember everyone, when you see these chain baskets, you are on a Disc Golf Course. These things can injure you way more than a frisbee"

You're so right and that's the sad thing. I can just see some local affiliate like "oooh lead with that on the 10 o'clock braodcast, look at the blood on her face" when some kid gets hit because they had a parent who is clueless.

I think we'll all just have to keep plugging along and introducing people to the sport. It really is growing fast and more people learn about it everyday but it's hard to be patient. I don't want to be the only person in the park and I know I never will be I just don't want to spend half my round waiting on some girl who twirls her hair and talks on speakerphone to get out of my way.

You've got a much kinder view of humanity than I do. I imagine the news story would be less, "be careful!" and more, "Tonight at 11, harmless frisbee flinging or drug-fuelled deadly disc chucking? Find out what risk these frolfers pose to your children and how to get them out of our park!"

I pull up to the p lot blasting a music type that only i like. Then i usually take a few moments to get ready while still blasting ska beats.

Though not my choice, tge local crew wont let you pass until you catch them on the pad.

I treat casual putts like tpurney putts.

Usually praise the frisbee at the 420ft holes.

....Im sure theres other things i do to annoy internet golfers but i wont let you get me, or my love for the GAME down ;)

I dig ska, don't get it twisted, but I just don't feel the need for everyone else to listen to what I like. That would be vain and inconsiderate. Plus, no one's impressed by the music you use to attempt to identify yourself. So you're a skanker, good for you! Now, keep it to yourself.... :clap:

I would say my biggest pet peave happens at the course on our college campus. It plays by the intramural fields and a couple holes the fields come into play. There is one hole in particular that is a hyzer over the field and in a tailwind, with the disc being pushed down, it is easy to throw it on the field. The players of whatever sport is happening, a lot of time soccer, get mad that the shot landed on the field. They then proceed to kick their ball through the fairway of hole 4 and almost hit players and it is all good. It is a disc golf course, not just unused land but they don't understand. Just frustrating sometimes.

i hate when people get mad if you skip a hole because they wont let you play through...i mean it really pisses me the *&%^ off

i hate when people get mad if you skip a hole because they wont let you play through...i mean it really pisses me the *&%^ off

YES! This happens all the time and it drives me crazy too. I am normally quite patient but when it gets to be too long and nobody is willing to let you play through it's time to skip to the next hole. Sorry if your pissed, but your 16 person group can eat it.

I'm ok with dogs on the course but seriously keep your dog on a leash if there are leash laws at the course. Doesn't matter if you have the "most wonderfully trained dog" or not. It's not about your dog being well trained. It's about respecting the course/park and the other individuals that are there.

I have to disagree with you. This subject has come up so much. If you have dog off the leash running around and not listening that is total different from a dog that is well trained. I have not had one complaint about my dog off the leash since I have had her. Do I have a leash with me, yes, I carry it just in case someone does say something. But until that day comes my dog will be off the leash and right beside me or sitting waiting for me and others to putt and drive.

YES! This happens all the time and it drives me crazy too. I am normally quite patient but when it gets to be too long and nobody is willing to let you play through it's time to skip to the next hole. Sorry if your pissed, but your 16 person group can eat it.

!!!!! YES !!!!! I was in a 3 person group and we were right behind a group of 6-7 people all throwing MULTIPLE discs and they refused to let us play through.....so we SKIPPED....nothing but the stink eye the entire time we walked to the next hole.

As for dogs I am fine with them as long as they are some what trained and the owner doesn't let the dog scat on the fairway, if you are in the rough you should watch where you are walking.

I have to disagree with you. This subject has come up so much. If you have dog off the leash running around and not listening that is total different from a dog that is well trained. I have not had one complaint about my dog off the leash since I have had her. Do I have a leash with me, yes, I carry it just in case someone does say something. But until that day comes my dog will be off the leash and right beside me or sitting waiting for me and others to putt and drive.

I agree. There is a BIG dif between a trained dog and an untrained dog on the course. However, under normal circumstances, nobody has to bring their dog with them in order to play a round of disc golf. The exception is if you are on a road trip during the summer and can't leave him/her in your vehicle. Like Martin Dew for example, but I have no problem with trained and well behaved dogs. Unless you are allergic, it shouldn't bother you.... IMO.

on the topic of getting thrown on.... i had a guy tee off first in my group then demand i follow suit and throw on the group in front of us because they were taking a while on the hole. this was during weekly singles.

i declined :|

I'm passionate and have a lot to say on the subject, but it mostly boils down to this^. Forest will remain off leash on about 90% of courses, and will continue to come with me to the course as long as he is able.

I dig ska, don't get it twisted, but I just don't feel the need for everyone else to listen to what I like. That would be vain and inconsiderate. Plus, no one's impressed by the music you use to attempt to identify yourself. So you're a skanker, good for you! Now, keep it to yourself.... :clap:

If you cant handle parking lot tunes, then id strongly suggest staying away from my home course.
Should i turn my music down to.listen to the other crap thats playing???

Both our dogs had a great time the other day off the lease:) My puppy is not as well trained but we are getting there for sure!

We'll know when you start handing them out because they will be littered all over the course.

Instead of bitching I am going to try and do something about it. That and I can't convince the town right now to let us put up a rules/guidelines sign at the course.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

This is exactly what I was referring to with my rant about the unemployed massive groups that clog the course at sundown. Not only they WILL NOT let you play through unless you awkwardly ask them, but they also get mad even if you just skip em.

That being said, I was at LaMa recently and it was fairly un-busy especially for the front course, and this massive group of 8 skipped 9 & 10 (and us in the process). We arrived at the tee for 11 at the same time and I told them about 9 & 10. They laughed and started throwing. 2 of us, 8 of them. The same guys who get their panties in a wad when they are skipped are apperantly entitled to hop around the course at their leisure. I'm not one to cause trouble though so we just went to the back course.

The biggest problem with disc golf is the douchebags it attracts. Been avoiding the course ever since.

Last edited: