• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD mold plastics

MalejKugi

Hey guys,
I tried to read a lot but there never was a general consensus on how things are with FD mold plastics.
I live in Europe and currently I am looking for an S-line FD because everybody seems to like it. I am a beginner so I am trying to find something straight for me, so I would like to stay on the understable side of things. For stable throws I have Latitude Explorer which I find really great but dont I am not consistent of throwing it really straight.
However, S-line is nowhere to be found. What plastics are the most similar to the S-line in terms of stability or is it better to wait till the winter with hope that they will get to Europe?
Mostly available is the C-line. I can also get the D-line. There is a rumor of Color Glow C-line being available in Europe at the end of the month. How does the Color Glow compare to the standard C-line? Some people say it is more understable (but how much? S-line understable), some people say it is the same. I have no problem of paying a little bit extra if its the right disc for me, but I am afraid that this thing can be too stable (too Explorerish) for me.
Anybody with a detailed inside who can clear this up for me?
Thank you!

In my experience, Color Glow C-Line is pretty close to the same stability as S-Line. G-Line is a little less stable. Regular C-Line was a touch more stable. Those are the only FD's I've thrown, so I can't speak to D-Line or P-Line.

Get a C-line if they're available and get a S-line when they become available. Gooby is accurate on the stability though they can vary per run.

Do you think the difference is that much that I should use Explorer, C-line and S-line in the same bag as a begginer? Will I notice the difference that much?

Stock stamped C-lines and S-lines fly the exact same way in my experience. No difference in flight, but the S-lines break in quicker of course

Do you think the difference is that much that I should use Explorer, C-line and S-line in the same bag as a begginer? Will I notice the difference that much?

A C Line FD might be very similar to an Explorer. Really depends on how each is molded up with the variations and all. I think you could carry a C Line and S Line FD as the S Line is noticeably less stable then the avg C.

A C Line FD might be very similar to an Explorer. Really depends on how each is molded up with the variations and all. I think you could carry a C Line and S Line FD as the S Line is noticeably less stable then the avg C.

Thats not my experience with the c-lines compared to the s-lines. They are identical in my experience. There are of course outliers like the 2nd run c-lines, but talking about stock c-lines compared to stock s-lines, they fly the same. I've had the FD in my bag since my first season playing DG and its my most important disc, I would have loved that the c-lines would be more stable than the s-lines. But they are unfortunately not. The c-lines just holds its initial stability for a longer time than s-lines

Last edited:

If you like your Explorer, then I'd recommend grabbing another Explorer in a less stable plastic (Recycled line) and about 5-7 grams lighter than the one you are bagging now. Lat64's Recycled plastic beats in really nicely and pretty quick, and will handle that mid-stability fairway slot for you. I'd round that out with a D-Line FD for true understable shots.

Opto Explorer / Recycled Explorer / D-Line FD would be an awesome lineup.

Thats not my experience with the c-lines compared to the s-lines. They are identical in my experience. There are of course outliers like the 2nd run c-lines, but talking about stock c-lines compared to stock s-lines, they fly the same. I've had the FD in my bag since my first season playing DG and its my most important disc, I would have loved that the c-lines would be more stable than the s-lines. But they are unfortunately not. The c-lines just holds its initial stability for a longer time than s-lines

I only had one S Line but 3 C's, so maybe you are correct. Never the less like you said, you can beat in the S Line and knock some stability off quicker.

Heck I got a P Line PD that flies like a roadrunner.

I only had one S Line but 3 C's, so maybe you are correct. Never the less like you said, you can beat in the S Line and knock some stability off quicker.

Heck I got a P Line PD that flies like a roadrunner.

I have a stack of P-PDs and none of them fly like a roadrunner. Are you wolfmandragon in disguise?

My anecdotal experience is C-lines are much more stable on average than S-lines, and obviously S-line beats in faster. I typically carry a seasoned C-line, beat in S-line, and a recent run swirly S-line that's the most stable of any FD I've thrown personally. The swirly takes the place of a Teebird/Explorer for me.

My anecdotal experience is C-lines are much more stable on average than S-lines, and obviously S-line beats in faster. I typically carry a seasoned C-line, beat in S-line, and a recent run swirly S-line that's the most stable of any FD I've thrown personally. The swirly takes the place of a Teebird/Explorer for me.

In my experience, C-line is pretty similar to S-line - that is to say, pretty dang straight. Not much fade.

Hey guys, thank you for your inputs, I will definitely make something out of it. To me it seems like I simply cannot go wrong with the S-line.
One more questions: What are the closest discs to the S-line FD? Might be even worth it to go 165g instead of 175g if I want some less stability in favour of higher turn and more distance? My local course I play 95 % games it is a wooded one so I want as much "straightness" as possible...
Opto 175g Explorer is not a straight flyer for me... Only very occasionaly I can get some baby flexes and stay on the fairway. Mostly I just try to bomb it as much as possible (slight hyzer) and rely on the fade for placement.

Hey guys, thank you for your inputs, I will definitely make something out of it. To me it seems like I simply cannot go wrong with the S-line.
One more questions: What are the closest discs to the S-line FD? Might be even worth it to go 165g instead of 175g if I want some less stability in favour of higher turn and more distance? My local course I play 95 % games it is a wooded one so I want as much "straightness" as possible...
Opto 175g Explorer is not a straight flyer for me... Only very occasionaly I can get some baby flexes and stay on the fairway. Mostly I just try to bomb it as much as possible (slight hyzer) and rely on the fade for placement.

My drop in replacement is the Champion Leopard3 - very very straight, a little fade, a little late turn. I actually prefer them (especially the Lusters) over other FDs because they're a better fit with the 2nd runs.

edit: if I'm going a different route though, I'll either do old Champion Eagle Ls or new TL3s.

Last edited:
I would call fds stable, not under stable. Depending on how far you throw of course. But a tick or two less stable than an explorer
It's an awesome disc, so you should get one.
A river is a great US option.

I would call fds stable, not under stable. Depending on how far you throw of course. But a tick or two less stable than an explorer
It's an awesome disc, so you should get one.
A river is a great US option.

I'll also vouch for the River as a good S-FD substitute. I bag 3: Opto-X Glimmer for straight-to-mellow-fade, Gold Line for a little turn, and an old beat up Moonshine as a roller disc.

River is a solid "less stable FD" option, but I'd caution the OP to feel one before buying. Rivers always felt horribly uncomfortable to me. Not sure if that's due to the abnormally large diameter for a fairway, or the massive dome, or something else. I ended up going with Hatchets even though I wanted to love Rivers.

165g S-Line is an excellent call for woodsy stuff. It's a little easier to flip up, and it'll stay in the air a bit longer.

Don't sleep on max weight D-Line, either. Especially as it beats in, it's super handy for woods courses. It doesn't need much power at all to get a full flight.

And an extra thing about the plastics that nobody has mentioned: The most recent color glow C-Line run is Night Strike 2. It's more stable than the average FD. For me, it sits right between S-Line FD and the new FD2 mold.