• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

feldbergs "jump" putt

My feelings, the jump putt or "putt - jump" are all fine. I've tried to do it illegally and it's really tough to throw that way. I have a very boarderline putting style from outside of the circle and have put it on video and it is indeed legal, just really close. Feldberg's look close but are probably all legal.

What I would really like to see is the PDGA move the circle back 10-12 feet. Jump putting is just too damn easy now. 33' is not that far.

TeamTollandDG said:
What I would really like to see is the PDGA move the circle back 10-12 feet. Jump putting is just too damn easy now. 33' is not that far.

I agree... well, it's easy in theory at least. I just seem to fck it up everytime.

I totally disagree, moving the circle is NOT the answer. It's treating a symptom, not the problem. If putting is too easy then other methods need to be looked at to make it harder. I take this whole issue a little personally because I lack the wrist snap to stand still putt from 35', following through allows me to impart the strength to get the disc to the chains that I normally can't.

Consider this when talking about moving the circle, it's hard enough to imagine a 33' radius around the pin, now you want to imagine a 45'-50' circle?! That's crazy talk!

How about making push putting illegal? :roll:

Jeronimo said:
I totally disagree, moving the circle is NOT the answer. It's treating a symptom, not the problem. If putting is too easy then other methods need to be looked at to make it harder. I take this whole issue a little personally because I lack the wrist snap to stand still putt from 35', following through allows me to impart the strength to get the disc to the chains that I normally can't.

Consider this when talking about moving the circle, it's hard enough to imagine a 33' radius around the pin, now you want to imagine a 45'-50' circle?! That's crazy talk!

How about making push putting illegal? :roll:

Glasses and this might help you out.
powerball_green_up_web.jpg

33' is not hard to picture or walk off.

They do give forearm muscles a good workout, and those muscles are what move your wrist and fingers. Very good piece of equipment.

Ironically I have one of those TTDG, it does a number on my wrists. Definitely a good piece of workout equipment.

33' is not hard to picture or walk off because we're so used to it at this point. That would happen over time if it was moved out to say 50' as well but it would take time. Either way though, for me, I have to spin put from about 50' and out. I can't push putt, even with a jump, much longer than 50'. Kudo's to you that you can but why are you trying to ruin my short game?

Work on your weight shift, that should give you the extra oomph you need to put farther. I'm an overall mediocre player, but a better putter than most, and I don't consider wrist strength to really be a factor in terms of getting the disc from point A to point B.

some call me...tim? said:
Work on your weight shift, that should give you the extra oomph you need to put farther. I'm an overall mediocre player, but a better putter than most, and I don't consider wrist strength to really be a factor in terms of getting the disc from point A to point B.

That's what makes me want to fall forward or "jump".

Without seeing your form, I'd say you're on the right track. I used to jump at anything that was close to the circle, but after developing some muscle memory and such, I'm comfortable putting at 45'+ with no jump/step. BTW, I'm assuming you're doing staggered stance, if I'm straddle putting, then yeah, there's a much greater likelihood that I'll be at least taking a step forward if there's any distance involved.

Wrist strength is absolutely important. I recently started using more wrist and it makes the disc go straight at the basket with no fade, even from as far as 65-70'. When I talk about wrist strength, I'm saying that the weight of the disc "loads" the wrist and then you stiffen the wrist as you come to the "apex" of the arm motion of the putt. It really does work both inside and outside the circle.

I only really use my wrist for spin putting, which I'll usually do for 70'+ putts. Don't get me wrong, the wrist still moves with my putts, but it's mostly for aiming and getting the finger pop. My legs and arm are the main means of propulsion.

Without seeing your form, I'd say you're on the right track. I used to jump at anything that was close to the circle, but after developing some muscle memory and such, I'm comfortable putting at 45'+ with no jump/step. BTW, I'm assuming you're doing staggered stance, if I'm straddle putting, then yeah, there's a much greater likelihood that I'll be at least taking a step forward if there's any distance involved.

Yup, that's pretty much where I am.

Only time I ever jump putt inside 50' is if I'm tired. Thanks to the teaching of Blake, my finger spring putt is dead accurate with hand and arm follow thru. But that takes energy and man after a long round I just don't have the strength so I resort to the JP.

I honestly don't think they will move the circle. To many issues in doing that.
We'll see tho, after all it's the PDGA.

I only really use my wrist for spin putting, which I'll usually do for 70'+ putts. Don't get me wrong, the wrist still moves with my putts, but it's mostly for aiming and getting the finger pop. My legs and arm are the main means of propulsion.

Yeah, what i'm talking about may be what Blake calls "finger spring" or "tendon bounce". Dave D has a video on Innova's site about that very thing. It does work for both jump and stationary putting. I just know since I've been doing that, I have been shooting 1040+ rated rounds (no kidding at all). Crazy stuff. Too bad I can't play tournaments.

patdabunny said:

Yeah, what i'm talking about may be what Blake calls "finger spring" or "tendon bounce". Dave D has a video on Innova's site about that very thing. It does work for both jump and stationary putting. I just know since I've been doing that, I have been shooting 1040+ rated rounds (no kidding at all). Crazy stuff. Too bad I can't play tournaments.

The finger spring is the way to go. The amount of spin on a finger spring is surprising. One of the keys to the JP is not changin your putt release. A lot of people make the mistake of changing the dynamics of the aim, and release when they JP.

I really don't want to make a new thread for this so I'm just gonna post this in here since I was watching lcgm8's vids and saw this guy's approach. Watch him throw at 5:15 or so in the video. That is a loose grip on the disc right there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/9/cX9XZ7LPjLI

So what's peoples thoughts on nikkos "jump" putt? It is basically a falling putt but I think it looks a lot better than feldbergs. (if you nedd some examples get onto nikkos youtube channel for some footage of him)