• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

feldbergs "jump" putt

One thing I've noticed about NL's putt is that he's able to reach back REALLY far to get some serious power on it. This is why he's deadly from 60'+, where that's the D that most putting accuracy drops off. He reaches back almost past his rear end, between his legs.

If you keep your hand (and disc) in the same plane as the pole while doing this huge reachback, you WILL be very accurate, just like NL. Once I started doing this, my accuracy rate went WAY up, especially on long putts.

Do you think jump putts are "self-policing"? I've consciously tried to putt after I've left the ground and it's ugly - no power whatsoever. So, if I get any power on the putt, I assume it's legal. Thoughts....? My jump puts are from a straddle stance btw.

I seriously suggest everyone to try the way Nikko does for max putting D. You might be surprised. Just remember to bend the knees out so that the arm fits easily so that the disc is partially behind the left knee with a semi stagger or stagger stance of possible. Huge power generation. Timo Pursio 10 x Finnish champ does also dangle his arm way down but not as extremely as Nikko.

I'm not sure what vid it was (probably a youtube of one of his putting clinics) but I remember Feldberg saying that he developed the step putt because he had seen photos of himself and others jump putting and had noticed that many of them were clearly faults. The step putt never even comes close to being a fault IMO. As said earlier, it's pretty damn awkward to release the putt after your foot hits. With jump putts I always wonder just a bit if my foot actually left the ground first.

Gotta apologise here.

The maker of these vids said :

no footfauls, at least so far. I do check out David's putts frame by frame. And JR did high speed cam footage last year in European Open. No foot fauls, but very close ones. I have players reactions on film and they were ok with David's putts. Youtube is not the best player to watch these big files.

I've switched to this type of "putt jump" and have found some nice success. I do tend to keep my disc on line for a longer period of time. I mostly only miss left or right and very rarely up or down. Now if i could get some consistency with his pitch putt.

I've gotten to the point of being about 50% from 60' or so and usually hit one or two per round. Hit one from about 70' this morning and just missed one from about 55'. If you keep your same putting stroke jumping as you do inside the circle, you can be deadly. That's one of the reasons why the top pros excel.

patdabunny said:
I've gotten to the point of being about 50% from 60' or so and usually hit one or two per round. Hit one from about 70' this morning and just missed one from about 55'. If you keep your same putting stroke jumping as you do inside the circle, you can be deadly. That's one of the reasons why the top pros excel.
I don't know that anyone other than maybe Nikko is 50% at 60'

juju said:
jnecessary said:

2 for 4 equals 50% :lol:
Not sure what you are saying that isn't obvious. I'm saying that people that claim to be 50% from 60' are more than likely exaggerating. I'm pretty sure I could make some good money betting against those odds. 10 putts from 60' to any player rated lower than 1000 and I would be making bank.

jnecessary said:
juju said:
jnecessary said:

2 for 4 equals 50% :lol:
Not sure what you are saying that isn't obvious. I'm saying that people that claim to be 50% from 60' are more than likely exaggerating. I'm pretty sure I could make some good money betting against those odds. 10 putts from 60' to any player rated lower than 1000 and I would be making bank.

I agree, i have baskets at my house and my strong point in the game is putting. I practice daily and to hit 50% from 60ft would be fantastic. I can see maybe doing it one day a month or something but not on the reg. If you can do that you should be well over 1000 rated. my 2cents

I was trying out the Feldberg walk-through putt a bit today and have some observations (all translated from LH to RH)...

1. When Feldberg does it he lets go just before his left foot touches the ground. I found it was actually much more accurate and easier to get the timing down if I let go just before my right foot hit (where the normal front foot for a staggered stance standing putt is the right foot). Has anybody experimented with each foot?

2. Since the point of the walk through is to have a weight shift that results in much more power than a standing putt, one could make the walk through an obviously legal putt by simply having that walk through foot land behind the mini instead of stepping past it. So start one step back and take your step forward to a legal spot and nobody is going to try to call you on it unless they argue that your foot wasn't yet down before you let go of the disc.

josser said:
2. Since the point of the walk through is to have a weight shift that results in much more power than a standing putt, one could make the walk through an obviously legal putt by simply having that walk through foot land behind the mini instead of stepping past it. So start one step back and take your step forward to a legal spot and nobody is going to try to call you on it unless they argue that your foot wasn't yet down before you let go of the disc.

Having experimented with that walktrough put a bit myself, i gotta say, it is pretty much self regulating. If you release after your left foot touched the ground, you wont get the power out of the entire walktrough-action and could put standing still just aswell.

Smigles said:
josser said:

Having experimented with that walktrough put a bit myself, i gotta say, it is pretty much self regulating. If you release after your left foot touched the ground, you wont get the power out of the entire walktrough-action and could put standing still just aswell.

That is if you stop but if you take a step with the right leg after the disc has gone there's momentum in your body and the disc right?

Smigles said:
josser said:

Right. So then your options are too have one that looks legal to most, but is actually illegal by having your walk through foot land behind your mini. Or you can have one that looks illegal to most, but is actually legal by walking through past your mini.

:)