• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firebird or XXX?

techn9cian4life

Double Eagle Member
Did the Google search for such discussion and haven't found one for what Im lookin for, so here I am. Looking For a pretty over-stable, low speed distance driver for when my Banshee can't quite get the distance I need. I've come to the decision that I'd like either a champ Firebird or an opto XXX. I'm leaning more towards the XXX because I heard it has a little more glide than the Firebird... but I would like to know what the great people here on DGCR feel about the comparisons.

Predators are longer than XXX, Starfire / QOLF / Shock a bit longer than Preds. All would work better for D than the two molds you're looking at in my ooinion.

I haven't thrown a XXX in a while, but the new run of champ firebirds are SUPER overstable and probably aren't even as long as your banshee as a result. The stars are likely different, though.

Get you a predator, xxx and the newer firebirds are super overstable that pushing them further than your banshee would prove difficult. With a predator, it's super overstable at first, but after a solid beating, it becomes extremely workable.

XXX is a utility style OS disc where the FB is a real driver and has much more distance potential. The XXX is slower and probably even more OS than a Firebird. MikeC is right that a predator really is a superior choice to them all. How far of throws are we talking? XXX should be for specific shots or very windy days-- not a go-to driver. If you like Lat. plastic I suggest even a striker or Riot if you want something more Firebird like but workable. Striker would be longer teebird and Riot similar to a FB or Pred but not quite as OS

Predators are longer than XXX, Starfire / QOLF / Shock a bit longer than Preds. All would work better for D than the two molds you're looking at in my ooinion.

I don't need much more distance than speed 9.. cause then it may start creeping on my Teerex. Just looking for a nice workable over-stable, low speed driver. That's why I'm leaning towards the XXX.
Edit: I'm not a big Discraft guy, never really liked the way they felt. I've thrown ESP, FLX ESP, and Z plastic.. none of them felt right for me.

xxx will be tough in the workable department. firebird fits the bill more in that regard.
or a pred like others are saying. or a tsunami, even.

Tsunami?

It's an old mold Predator, but maybe you'll like DGA's plastic better?

I do like an xXx (and the Trident as a shorter option) for super predictable flicks and spike hyzers. I keep a Star Firebird in the bag, usually, for most OS duties. Predator is good for longer distance, like these other posters have suggested, but I have ever really thrown one once or twice.

I've had both and felt the XXX was waaaay to overstable for my taste, but I also didn't notice much of a distance diff either. I found that the FL worked great and fit MY game better than both the XXX and Firebird. Plenty of stability and "D".

I agree with Mike C and others. If you still want a xXx, I'd try a GL. It would be more workable and have better glide.

This thread is hilarious!

OP: I want to get a XXX or Firebird, which should I get?

DGCR members: Predator, Striker, Tsunami!

You guys must have sucked at multiple choice tests.

I have never thrown a XXX, but FWIW I have had 2 Banshees and a Firechicken in my bag for years and I find different uses for all of them. But I do hear nothing but good things about Lat.

XXX and Bird are UBER stable and require a lot of arm for anything other than moderate shots....I would like to place a vote for an ESP Predator. I use mine constantly

Seriously? Wow Lol Well alright then.

Its true-- the Trident and XXX are Lat.64's bricks and have zero of that great euro glide everyone was all gitty about when they came on the scene. My pure and spike fly probably 50' than an XXX unless you oat the hell out of it for a flex and even then good luck at 330'

Find a lightweight GL XXX. I've found they're a bit more controllable and beat into nice fliers.

That said, it will ALWAYS be strictly a utility disc in my bag.

I have thrown Firebirds, Banshees, Tridents, and XXXs.

Of the three, I would say the Firebird has the most distance potential but not as beefy as the Trident or XXX.

The lighter, flat, GL XXX has the most bang for my buck.
Great into wind, flex shots up to 300 (for me), and very good at the C shaped fade (RHFH).

The Trident is slower and once you beat a GL in to submission, can be very useful!

During our regional ice bowl the wind was a constant 20mph+ with crazy gusts. On the holes that were under 300 and there was a headwind or wonky crosswind, I reached for the Trident.

Count on the skips from both the XXX and Trident! Firebird not so much.
Banshee is a slower Firebird, with a tick less OS.

All good discs, just depends on what you want out of them.

Latest posts