• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firebird or XXX?

XXX is not a driver in the traditional sense. It's so stupid overstable that it takes a very healthy headwind to hold it upright enough to get any more distance than 170' or so. Brilliant thumber disc though, and stays in my bag for that exact reason.

My vote would go for the Firebird.....

but I would honestly never trade my old Z Flick out. It is from 2009.... but it feels almost like a CE plastic. It has lost a little bit of stability... which is a good thing. You can get on it as hard as you need to. Never have to worry about a turn in burn. It is a beautiful thing. THank you Sisyphus.

Fire chickens all the way! The new flat tops are crazy stable. Get a star or the older F molds

Sidearm I also vote the Disccraft Z Flick. it freakin rocks. I like the xxx for thumbers better than any other disc. Fikrebird is good also but xxx works much better for me

i have recently went back to the firebird after throwing preds for a year or so. i also have thrown the XXX. as others have said the XXX is more of a utility disc because of its overstability. i have seen guys throw that disc really well. especially overhand. but most of the time on shorter dog leg holes. I think that the firebird is just more versatile. good on BH, FH, and OH. personally it feels more comfortable in the hand. Fights wind better than the predator and doesn't have that huge skip at the end of the flight so you can run it closer to the basket. my vote obviously:
FIREBIRD

Don't let people scare you away from a XXX. Yes if you buy a full weight opto there is no doubt it is beastly over stable but grab a light weight GL and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I first bought a 175 Opto and loved it 100% predictable in any conditions. I won a tournament because I had it in bag; it was quite windy on a course with lots of OB and the other guys just couldn't keep it in bounds. I recently added a lighter weight GL and it is awesome. The GL is plenty OS for most days but I like knowing I can toss the Opto in the bag when it gets crazy. If you get a light GL and don't like I'll take it off your hands.

Also, I found this for you: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60980

I carry a xXx in opto plastic. I buy them light weight and use them as utility discs. I prefer them because they are very predictable. If you need to go around an obstacle and skip up to the basket, there is no better disc. I can get pretty good distance into strong winds (25 mph and up) with them too.

Their lack of glide adds to the predictability, but does make them inferior to drive with compared to older run Firebirds. The new Firebirds are just as overstable as a XXX, so it's very close to being a push.

The mid 160's weights are easier to throw for D than the heavier XXX's... IMO.

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Maybe I'll just get both on Friday (Payday!!!!) and see which I like better... then trade the other off.

I wil give you my experiences with both discs, the Firebird was a great disc but i just felt that it was a bit too much of a typical OS driver for what I was looking for. As for the XXX it fit the bill for me great, as I wanted an utility style OS driver in the sense. The first XXX that I bought was a 171 GL and for me personally was a bit too much for me, So, i bought another GL 166 and it is great! I can push it out to about 300-320ft and it always flies the same; holds a super strait tight line until about 240-250 out and then has a real hard fade and drop at the end. When its thrown with some altitude it will hit and stick. When thrown with a low ceiling it gets a nice bit skip out of it, i usually see about a 30 foot skip out of it when I throw it on a particular hole at my local course.

Hope this all helped, if you want an overstable driver go with the Firebird, if you want more of a utility disc that you can use as a driver when you need it go for a light weight GL XXX

Yes

Predators are longer than XXX, Starfire / QOLF / Shock a bit longer than Preds. All would work better for D than the two molds you're looking at in my ooinion.

XXX and Firebird are not really distance drivers. IMO they won't do what you are hoping for.

I know that you are set on a Firebird or XXX and they are both great so of course try them. I think you will find that they will have distinctly less glide and distance than a banshee, because that is my experience. I would definitely recommend a Predator for a little more distance and overstability than the banshee, which is what you describe as your desire. The starfire flies like a banshee but obviously is faster. Or if you are set on Firebirds for some reason you could pay more for an older Firebird like an 11X. There was some monstrous old firebirds that fly like the current ones (less glide, more OS) too so make sure you ask the seller if it flies as you want it to.

If you choose to go Firebird and want workable, don't get a new flat top. They are super overstable. I've always preferred the domey ones. Still nice and overstable, but not extremely overstable.

I personally love all three of these discs. And I strongly disagree with people saying the XXX isn't good for touch shots. This disc does it all for me! Having said that, I do live in Central Oklahoma so I'm sure I deal with alot more wind on the course than most people. I do agree with all of these posts though. More D, but still overstable, get a Pred. Crazy OS at first, but now I use mine for straight to slightly OS drives. Try all three if you have the funds. That's the only way to know!

Latest posts