• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firebird or XXX?

I do like an xXx (and the Trident as a shorter option) for super predictable flicks and spike hyzers.

I agree with Mike C and others. If you still want a xXx, I'd try a GL. It would be more workable and have better glide.

I have thrown Firebirds, Banshees, Tridents, and XXXs.

Of the three, I would say the Firebird has the most distance potential but not as beefy as the Trident or XXX.

The lighter, flat, GL XXX has the most bang for my buck.
Great into wind, flex shots up to 300 (for me), and very good at the C shaped fade (RHFH).

The Trident is slower and once you beat a GL in to submission, can be very useful!

Don't let people scare you away from a XXX. Yes if you buy a full weight opto there is no doubt it is beastly over stable but grab a light weight GL and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I first bought a 175 Opto and loved it 100% predictable in any conditions.

All of these guys are spot on IMO. To each his own, I threw firebirds some before but since checking out Lat plastic last year, the XXX and Trident have a permanent spot in my bag. Both lightweight GL plastic.......:thmbup:

@JoshuaJames
In what universe are you getting skips from a XXX/Trident and not a FB??? FB are notorious (or sought after dependig on the thrower) for skips.

Anyway, here is a short list of things that are faster and more OS than a banshee.

Max faster and more OS
Flick same, loved utility disc but ta not for everyone
Spirit, like a better flick but gateway sucks so movin on
Firebird, recent run, flat ones are almost useless overstable (same as the above choices imo) great utility disc
Monster, if you can find the right ones, x mold
XXX, great utility disc, a little more workable than the fb, great thumber disc.

PD2 and Nuke OS are also options but theyre so much faster i dont see them being what you set out lookin for.

The reason i dont suggest the pred is because IMO, its just a faster banshee, similar flight, similar overstability (taking into account its speed). Same with a CPD. In terms of versatility, they beat the above choices pretty badly. But you have what you need in those with the banshee. So dont change that if youe comfortable with it. You want something more os and a bit faster to do things the banshee, or banshee like discs cant.

The choices i listed above will fit that 'true utility disc' slot. Im sure i missed some options but if you really wanna look for more, there are like 3 gateway molds that are basically spirits, Z extreme which is about XXX speed and was recently re released on a limited run.

@JoshuaJames
In what universe are you getting skips from a XXX/Trident and not a FB??? FB are notorious (or sought after depending on the thrower) for skips.
My universe!

I think you answered it in part. For "me" the FB did not skip as well as the the XXX or Trident.

This may be due to my throwing style or a combination of plastics that I tried each disc in. The plastics I commonly had for the FB was DX and Pro, obviously the others were in premium.

I recently went through what your looking for and I got a XxX and a Trident. As said before the XxX is not a every hole disc but the Trident on the other hand has become a favorite. Don't over look a Trident.

FB are notorious (or sought after depending on the thrower) for skips.

This! One of my favorite utility shots is throwing a low thumber with my Firebird that kicks about 20-30 feet hard right on the skip. I keep a Champ Teebird, Star Eagle and Star Firebird all in my bag for this shot. The Teebird skips mostly forward(maybe 10-20 degrees off to the right), the Eagle heads right at about 40 degrees and the Firebird skips 70 plus degrees off to the right of where it lands.

For the OP, pass on the Champ Firebird if you want more distance. I like the Champ for my skip shot, but bag the Star because I can throw it more often as it's less of a meathook. My Champ FB is a true utility disc, where the Star is more versatile, and like what you describe yourself as wanting.

My XXX doesn't fly as far as my putter fyi.

10 dollars says it does if you only throw thumbers! :p

I had both in the bag.

XXX is amazing forehand roller disc.

12x reg dome fb is my firebird of choice. get one about 168. that is all you need and keep a XXX for thumbers and utility shots. maybe even sick flex shots. the XXX is a beast not quite a z extreme but still. i switched to the flat glow firebirds since the nice flat XXX are hard to find esp in good colors.

i think the xXx is more meathook if you need to go around things or get out of trouble. I think the FB is a better driver and easy to work but the xxx does a good job at what its spose to do.

how is the XXX for sidearm throws compared to, say, a champ banshee? and when people are talking about lightweight gl XXX's how light are we talking? 168? 164?

how is the XXX for sidearm throws compared to, say, a champ banshee? and when people are talking about lightweight gl XXX's how light are we talking? 168? 164?

Pretty sure they go down to 165g.. so thats what I told my shops owner to order for me

Late to the party but my 166 beat star fb is my go-to driver when i need to finish left. I had no qualms throwing it into the wind out over the boise river, got me a few birdies that day. I have a 170 flat glow fb that I can't even throw back hand, but I love it for get of trouble, flexing, fore hand shots.

I stand by my XxX, but will agree that even on full rip with a forced anny, I can't get that thing past 300 feet. prolly closer to 270. But it is an amazing utility disc, and if you play it's skip, can be really useful on short approaches or hyzers for a possible hole out on said skip. you want D but OS, go Villain, Riot, or go to westside and look at the Boatman or Giant.

Fire chickens all the way! The new flat tops are crazy stable. Get a star or the older F molds

Bingo. Star Firebird or a moderately domey Champ are a sweet compromise of beef and workability.

Latest posts