• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firebird or XXX?

Had a great champ fb that I lost. I replaced with a new metal flake champ firebird. Do metal flakes thake longer to break in and although this question might be up to the individual, how long should it take a metal flake firebird to break in?

xXx can be found in low 160s but not for long :0

Trident, XXX and Blitz are reportedly on the chopping block

why would the XXX be on the chopping block?
it has to be one of their better sellers

unless they are looking to make something as HSS and LSS but a touch faster...i.e. to get into the FB, Monster range

it seemed like some of the recent pro additions may have wanted something longer

^^^^^:wall::wall::wall:^^^^^

I guess I wont be getting that great x-out pack from DD and driving down to DGC and buying every 164-167g XXX they have

I do think that it is a difficult topic, xxx vs. friebird, to talk about; Mainly because IMO the XXX is a completely different disc from max weight opto, to low weight GL. If I needed to rate them from most stable -> not quite as stable it would be opto XXX,Firebird, GL XXX. but when it comes to workability i would rate them GL XXX low weight, firebird, max weight GL XXX and then the opto XXX in both weight classes.

I just think that you really need to throw both and thats what it comes down to... If you have a big arm, or have a touch of OAT then I like the XXX in a high 160's if you are super clean in form, firebird or light weight XXX as they are going to have more of a touch feel to them.

... again JMO,

good thing I have about 12 XXXs. And the one I am throwing now has lasted over 2 years. I'll be dead before I run out. But why drop a great utility disc like that?

good thing I have about 12 XXXs. And the one I am throwing now has lasted over 2 years. I'll be dead before I run out. But why drop a great utility disc like that?

I need to get my stock up to "lifetime" status! I can't imagine a DG world with no Lat 64 XXX. The disc does a great job as an OS utility, wind fighter, OH and skip shot disc.

Also one of my favorite names.

I'll be in Charlotte Mon-Wed and Boone Thurs-Sat. I'll PM you if I find any cool XXXs in Crowntown.

xXx can be found in low 160s but not for long :0

Would make sense to turn them into one mold IMO... all basically the same disc with a little different speed but same distance mostly besides the blitz which never has been a big seller and now they have superior OS HS drivers than before-- the blitz was it or the "stitlz"? It was not even called the blitz before the XXX and trident were born... Probably a good move so they have less over-head and still solid lineup.

Would make sense to turn them into one mold IMO... all basically the same disc with a little different speed but same distance mostly besides the blitz which never has been a big seller and now they have superior OS HS drivers than before-- the blitz was it or the "stitlz"? It was not even called the blitz before the XXX and trident were born... Probably a good move so they have less over-head and still solid lineup.

I like the Blitz in big headwinds. It flies better than any other disc I own into 30 mph winds. It's a niche disc. That's all I use it for, but on the windy plains, the disc is just awesome. I could live without it and throw the Villain, but it does better on pure headwind drives, but severely lacks on the utility that keeps the Villain in the bag.

Getting rid of the XXX is moronic.

I agree they are all very OS discs (the blitz is not a good head-wind disc though-- it fights but does not FLY well) I used one for years and there really is no need unless you throw 500'

Its not like lat. 64 will be getting rid of the XXX they would be smart to replace it, along with the blitz and trident with a disc that is more firebird like which STILL can handle any utility drive needed but also is a good headwind and OS distance driver.

There is no need for the Trident, XXX and Blitz thats my point and none of them are that great of molds, they all have their niches...

Can anybody compare a star FB pre-flight number and pre-www mold (which I currently throw) to the current star FB's? I'm definitely in the camp of workable Innova molds. Thanks.

I do not want to give up either my Trident or my XXX, but at the same time I don't like the idea of throwing OOP discs so it would be a tough call for me in terms of either stocking up or just dropping them from the bag.

I can live without the XXX because a Whippet has a very similar flight path, but I love the L shaped flight path and massive skip of the Trident. Not sure it can be replaced. Perhaps a Zone?

I agree they are all very OS discs (the blitz is not a good head-wind disc though-- it fights but does not FLY well) I used one for years and there really is no need unless you throw 500'

Its not like lat. 64 will be getting rid of the XXX they would be smart to replace it, along with the blitz and trident with a disc that is more firebird like which STILL can handle any utility drive needed but also is a good headwind and OS distance driver.

There is no need for the Trident, XXX and Blitz thats my point and none of them are that great of molds, they all have their niches...

I disagree with this on a few levels.

1) Not sure I even understand what this statement means " Its not like lat. 64 will be getting rid of the XXX they would be smart to replace it".

I would love to hear a more detailed explanation on why Lat would be "smart" to replace it.

2) You state that none of these molds are great molds...perhaps you could include which you have used, the plastics/weights, and what your thoughts are on their flights.

3) Why would I want one disc to replace all of these??? There is no way you can get what the Blitz and Trident can do out of one mold. If so, point me in the direction.

I disagree with this on a few levels.

1) Not sure I even understand what this statement means " Its not like lat. 64 will be getting rid of the XXX they would be smart to replace it".

the XXX by name might RIP but they need this type of driver in their line up.. just not 3 of them- Lat would be smart to make a mold more similar to the FB which is 100x as popular as any 3 of their molds and does the same job. It would be a smart move to take the XXX/blitz and make one GOOD OS mold where the blitz is not as OS as a trident/XXX into a headwind, it actually flies like a driver and beat-in to be very workable like beefy destroyer (less overhead producing 1 disc vs 3 which all do similar stuff thats easy biz)

^I would love to hear a more detailed explanation on why Lat would be "smart" to replace it.

2) You state that none of these molds are great molds...perhaps you could include which you have used, the plastics/weights, and what your thoughts are on their flights.

I have thrown Blitz from the original mold only in opto as well as their new runs in both GL and opto from 169-177 (same with all 3 molds-- I was a hardcore lat. fanboy) My GL XXX and Tridents were much less OS than the opto's but never noticed a large difference in the blitz. which was always my favorite due to it actually flying like a driver not some useless meathook-- even the flick flies better than a XXX or trident (they are just niche discs IMO) If I want a head-wind driver you really cannot trust a blitz to be ripped into a headwind due to its wing & good glide for an OS disc it tends to flip right too much and get off line where the XXX and trident are so damn slow they only make it 275'

3) Why would I want one disc to replace all of these??? There is no way you can get what the Blitz and Trident can do out of one mold. If so, point me in the direction.

Firebird, shock, predator...

Firebird, shock, predator...

I suppose we will agree to disagree as to whether the discs in question are any good.

The Trident is quite unique with its L shaped flight pattern. On a short course with lots of wind, I reach for my Trident more times than not.

As for the Firebird, Predator, or Shock doing what the Trident and Blitz can do....I don't think so. I've thrown all of these and I would not reach for these to cover what my Trident does and in some cases what the Blitz can do.

Would you suggest Innova consolidate the Banshee, Firebird and Xcal into one mold? Maybe Discraft could scrap the Drone, Predator, and Force, then mold up one OS super disc?

Tomas was asked about this rumor on FB. His response:

No trident, blitz and xxx will not go OOP. I wonder who come up with these rumors

Latest posts